DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon
No, not got around to blogging the build yet.

Not sure if John actually still trades. I twisted his arm at Llanfair a couple of years ago when he was exhibiting one of his small crane layouts and we got talking about Deltang gear which he uses.

I think it must be 15mm - I've not checked the dimensions but I can only fit the smaller figures into the seats and cab.

I'm thinking of double ending the railcar to avoid turntables. The latest plan is to make an unpowered model of the Walker railtruck, but construct it so that I can slot it on to the power bogie when I fancy just running it as a truck. I've discovered that that is how it was used on the Clogher Valley. The body was detachable so they could use the power bogie as a spare when the railcar bogie was being repaired so it looks like I'm accidentally repeating history but for my own ends!

Rik
Ah yes I have the Railtruck built by a friend, did not appear in my Irish Stock thread so must do an update.

Last edited:

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
My latest offering. Following feedback from some viewers, I've tried a voice commentary on this video. Not entirely sure about it so would welcome feedback.

It's a tad longer than my usual so well done if you make it to the end.

Rik

ped

N/A
13 Dec 2009
Anglesey,North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
My latest offering. Following feedback from some viewers, I've tried a voice commentary on this video. Not entirely sure about it so would welcome feedback.

It's a tad longer than my usual so well done if you make it to the end.

Rik
Brilliant, Well done Sir, Really Enjoyed Commentary

Reactions: 1 user

Thornmini

Registered
10 Jan 2020
Brunswick, GA
Best answers
Country flag
I always look forward to pretty much anything you do, both here and your blog. This latest effort is especially well done and the commentary is excellent in that it imparts some local history and characters that bring the PLR and its little corner of the world practically into real life. Thank you!

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I decided to install a test track in the workshop. Initially, it was just going to be a length of track above the workbench, but you know how these things escalate!
:?

It now encircles the interior of the workshop, with a couple of sidings to hold stock waiting to be repaired, serviced or finished-off. At first I was going to use brass track but thought this would be a waste and then remembered the Playmobil train set which I'd bought when my nephew came to stay (ten years ago). I knew the Playmobil railcar would run happily on my 45mm track, so ...... would my rolling stock run on the plastic Playmobil track? Surprisingly it did, though the check rails on the points needed an extra shim of aluminium to guide some of the wheels through.

It turned-out I had enough straights for 3/4 of the circuit, so I bought a few more on eBay to finish it off. They arrived this morning, so by this afternoon I was in business!

Of course, when the weather is too wet or cold outside, I could always run a train or two inside....!

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've blogged what I did, just in case anyone is interested

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Sometimes what seems like a crazy idea turns out to be a good one. When my daughter and her husband suggested we had a barbecue outside on New Year's Eve, I wasn't too sure. But we borrowed a fire pit from my mate, set up the gas BBQ and my daughter and her husband prepared the food.

Even though it was about -2C, we actually had a great evening - one of the best New Years I can remember.

But I can't have a BBQ without running a train and so I had to smash the frozen snow on the track with a wooden mallet and then chisel the frozen moss out from between the rails before I could run anything. I'm please to say, the train ran perfectly all evening with only one derailment on a frozen point.

And yes, we did stick it out until after midnight!

A happ(ier) New Year everyone....

Rik

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
And a happy 2021 to you, too, Rik, and thank you for the video.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sometimes what seems like a crazy idea turns out to be a good one. When my daughter and her husband suggested we had a barbecue outside on New Year's Eve, I wasn't too sure. But we borrowed a fire pit from my mate, set up the gas BBQ and my daughter and her husband prepared the food.

Even though it was about -2C, we actually had a great evening - one of the best New Years I can remember.

But I can't have a BBQ without running a train and so I had to smash the frozen snow on the track with a wooden mallet and then chisel the frozen moss out from between the rails before I could run anything. I'm please to say, the train ran perfectly all evening with only one derailment on a frozen point.

And yes, we did stick it out until after midnight!

A happ(ier) New Year everyone....

Rik
Happy New Year Rik.
A BBQ at -2C ??????
Now that is dedication, my freezer isn't even that cold.
But then I am in Australia where a cold night is about 7C

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hm nice idea but to see the year in! I was in bed by 2130 only woke up by the fireworks just after midnight for a few minutes, at least they were a good way off and did not scare Barney who does not like fireworks. Nice to see you have lit some coaches for such occasions.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
My latest - filmed just before it started to rain and melted the snow

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Braved the conditions again to shoot this little video

I hope you find it interesting

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
This one's a bit longer than my usual offerings - just to warn you in advance that a cup or glass or your favourite brew might be required if youplan to see it through ......

I hope you enjoy it (or at least pretend you did ...... :wasntme: ;) :D

Rik

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Right!
I'm not going to click 'play' then... - I have w-a-y too much to be getting on with..
(perhaps later?)..
PhilP.