trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well sorted out a wiring problem - my error - and it now runs better. Also sorted out the track going through the tunnel - made two electrical sections as one. It will, without any cars, climb my 1 in 30 so it [strike]will[/strike] should be OK for the trailer.

Fitted the boiler handrails and door knobs to the headlamps. Need to obtain a diode so that the rear lamp comes on when in reverse. Couple of pics...

3e9eb815a65f4bd7a8454cbce50a4a20.jpg

985b5a44907e4b6bb1b75729bc054690.jpg

So if anybody knows a diode to suit a 12v bulb - please give me an idiot's guide:clap:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I tried to reglaze one of the doors as the glazing had become fogged with satin varnish. I used superglue and got an even worse fog on the new piece! I felt I should leave things alone - and did so - until yesterday. I tried gloss polyurethane varnish and most of the fogging went away. Its still not perfect but I'm leaving it has it is for now. Added nameplates Mairin - which is Irish for Maureen (my long suffering's name) - made from gold coloured Inkjet card. Raw edges touched up with gold paint and varnished both sides.

I've tried three times to add a bell cord but my manual dexterity aint what it used to be. So that's another "pending"!

Before,

5f52e7b2a8c645368247a4b5277a316b.jpg

..after.

1b7219d24fe74321a952f538df7d1e84.jpg

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
That looks superb Mick :clap::admire:

Rob

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Rob & Ross. I stuffed up with the glazing. The first glue I used was a plastics glue. Only the "pay", cab door and front bulkhead windows were meant to be clear. Repeated handling during the construction process lossened one or two so I decided to use superglue. They're well and truly stuck and very dirty. Guess the engineer's oily rag was used to clean them (got to think of a plausible excuse for my mistakes!),

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mik said:
Fogged windows saves you from having to detail the interior.... Lionel did that 60+ years ago X(

Spot on Mik. Just have to convince myself I didn't screw up with the glazing:rofl::rofl:

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
trammayo said:
........ so I decided to use superglue. They're well and truly stuck and very dirty.

Problem could be 'solved' by dampening the windows (if this doesn't damage anything else ) - S/glue works by absorbing moisture and, in my experience, has a repairing shelf life of around 3 months, by which time it has absorbed enough to stop working - cup handles etc :impatient: So I am thinking, if you can give the windows a liberal soaking it might come apart fairly quickly :nerd:
But in any event I agree with Mik of Penn

Mik.....did you know William Penn is buried in St Mary Redcliffe Church, Bristol, England ?

Best of luck
Rob

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Rob - 'tis too late I'm afraid! The PU varnish is well and truly dry. Because its made of wood and card, water might not suit it:rofl: I'm just urined off with it really - but it don't look too bad if you ignore the mucky windows (says he!).

I totted up what it cost to build and that was £48 - (motor and gears £19, paint £8,
Bachmann wheels £7, ply and stripwood £8, glues £4, and bits of brass rod, tube and brass bell £2) - all the rest was scrap or left overs.

As it runs OK, I've plinthed it for the winter and it will open my extension when that's complete - which will be a while!

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
Mick, I reckon on a damp/cold winter's day the prototype cab could well have 'steamed' up and looked much as it does in the photo you posted..... realism is better than toytown :clap:
Looking forward to seeing it open your extension with bated breath :clap::D

Rob

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
The Paycar has been sat on a shelf for nearly four months on the off-chance that the new extension would be ready for its' official opening (a month away at least now).

However, I had hopes that the loco would operate on the trailer layout. Any chance of testing it out had to wait for better weather, a fresh coat of waterproofing to the roof of the trailer, and good weather to allow it to be transferred from the barn to the yard. Fortunately, with the help of No.2 son, all came together this week - although the good spells of weather were utilised on other jobs.

With torrential rain and hail most of the night, I thought my chances were nil for today, but a clear sky signalled otherwise. The clear sky brought a strong frost but a bash or two with the rubber mallet (not a loco:rofl: ) allowed the catches to be loosened and the shutters raised. End baseboards were lowered and connected up, track cleaned, battery power connected and it was testing time.

A derailment on a sharper than normal R1 (they are all RIs !) caused some head scratching, then a refusal to enter the station brought forth more scratching, then it was off to complete the trip.

The footboards were catching so I had to shorten these (fourth pic), and the difficulty coming around the curve to the station was caused by the pilot (cowcatcher) fouling the platform surface - the latter having to be mutilated to lower the surface. It now traverses the whole layout although there is some slippage on tight curves. Just a few pics before the trailer was closed up and secured. .....

51511b99e51a4b169890e0f8a8be0a4d.jpg

9576a5aea1b74589b65ae45827d76545.jpg

823959dd660e444a95917e04b61a4c05.jpg

29848c1a6cf447a1a3c93ed6af0a98bb.jpg

d985606ec8b349789ddec8381367d9c4.jpg

Now it just needs a little cosmetic attention and an LED in the rear lantern!

Don Gilham

Model railways, Photography, anything lazy
28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
Great job, Mick :clap:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Don & Ross.

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
(Sorry to be a tad tardy Mick - been away for a Cornish break - without a WiFi connection ! )
It's looking really good now Mick :clap: :admire: - will make a note in my diary for the official opening in a months time :rofl::rofl:
Rob

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Rob (how are you?). I need to get on with my "opening" stuff but, at the moment, I'm taking advantage of my son's help with other things. Back on it by the weekend I hope:clap:

Kurt Ubl

KURT
3 Mar 2017
Tenerife ES
Best answers
Country flag
Hello trammayo,
fantastic loco will try this next but can I reach your modeling?:whew:
Great job!!!
Kurt

There`s a prototype for everything

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I never did add the pics of the extension's "Official Opening" to this thread (although I thinks they will be in my OX MOUNTAIN thread).

Anyway, to conclude the story of my build, here's the pics fromm the opening...

Ribbon (or bunting in this case) awaiting the Paycar's forward progress...
DSCF4032.JPG
DSCF4038.JPG The figures were hurriedly created from modelling clay.

The photographer was there with his plate camera .....
DSCF4040.JPG

setting off ...
DSCF4045.JPG

On the extension...
DSCF4047.JPG

And approaching the new junction on its' return .......
DSCF4050.JPG

Reactions: 3 users