Painting a coal fired brass kit

DUNNY

Registered
14 Dec 2017
kincardine ,ont. canada
Best answers
I am looking for advice on painting a new engine ,coal fired kit . Looking for steps to ready the brass and what paints and primers to use .

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am looking for advice on painting a new engine ,coal fired kit . Looking for steps to ready the brass and what paints and primers to use .
Hello Dunny who got to the name first. Been using Dunnyrail since G scale Mad days. Hope you are all well under there. As for painting puffers I think 2 part ones tend to be used quite a bit, though I think some Automotive Colours are suitable for warm/hot locations.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
JR in Tawa is pretty expert at this - he's made a couple from memory.

If you can't track him down on this forum, you may be able to find his work on the GardenRailwayClub.com :nod::nod:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
You will hear lots of suggestions about hi-temperature automotive engine paints, which work. Personally, I found that regular acrylic paint from the craft/hobby shop showed no signs of problems when I painted the boiler of my Accucraft EBT #12.
Brass is very difficult, and if you are trying to make the detail parts black, then a chemical blackener might be easiest.

Reactions: 1 user