Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
They probably mimic nature?
They normally trickle-through, quietly.. Occasionally catching the light, as a synapse fires..
Then turn into a raging torrent, when there is a problem!

I'll now have to find a bed of daffodils, to go and have a lie down..
:nerd::D:D
Tiptoe through the tulips

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
For those of us across the pond, could someone clarify, what is a "water scheme" and why it would be so funny? I realize the humour may not translate.
Here, in the Republic, there are many private water schemes, mostly managed by unpaid volunteers. I think there are about 53 such schemes in County Mayo. I'm a committee member (secretary) of such a scheme and spend a lot of time sorting out problems that arise, logging the level of chlorine in the water, the turbidity of such, etc. We employ a part time caretaker for 20 hours a week doing things like logging water useage around the system, carrying out repairs, etc.
I'm the only one on the said committee that is retired, the other four have full time jobs and families to look after. We have to meet Government guide lines - financial (we have two treasurers), water quality, and health & safety. All thankless tasks that we have to put up with. Some days I get loads of phone calls about water pressure (as do other committee members), and other distribution problems. Our Scheme has some 50 km of pipe and about 400 members. It is a Co-operative. We are in the process of amalgamating with a much larger scheme, also starting an upgrade to some water mains that feed areas that the scheme serves.
I don't even switch my phone off at night, and even whilst away from home (shopping or hospital visits) I'm receiving details or enquiries! It's a pain in the proverbial!
It's just my sense of humour - we might be looking forward to being relieved of the tasks we undertake on the completion of the amalgamation (projected to be the end of this year) but then what would I do? Oh yes, work on my garden line!

Reactions: 1 user

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Here, in the Republic, there are many private water schemes, mostly managed by unpaid volunteers. I think there are about 53 such schemes in County Mayo. I'm a committee member (secretary) of such a scheme and spend a lot of time sorting out problems that arise, logging the level of chlorine in the water, the turbidity of such, etc. We employ a part time caretaker for 20 hours a week doing things like logging water useage around the system, carrying out repairs, etc.
I'm the only one on the said committee that is retired, the other four have full time jobs and families to look after. We have to meet Government guide lines - financial (we have two treasurers), water quality, and health & safety. All thankless tasks that we have to put up with. Some days I get loads of phone calls about water pressure (as do other committee members), and other distribution problems. Our Scheme has some 50 km of pipe and about 400 members. It is a Co-operative. We are in the process of amalgamating with a much larger scheme, also starting an upgrade to some water mains that feed areas that the scheme serves.
I don't even switch my phone off at night, and even whilst away from home (shopping or hospital visits) I'm receiving details or enquiries! It's a pain in the proverbial!
It's just my sense of humour - we might be looking forward to being relieved of the tasks we undertake on the completion of the amalgamation (projected to be the end of this year) but then what would I do? Oh yes, work on my garden line!
Thank you for the explanation. Around here, the word "scheme" has connotations of something illegal or at least dubious. It seems your usage is more along the lines of a "plan". Our water comes from LOID (Lewiston Orchards Irrigation District). It is private in that it is not owned by a government entity, and we pay "Assessments" rather than "taxes" to support it. But, large enough that it requires many full-time employees, Water quality is good and prices reasonable. Hopefully the changes to your water scheme will indeed provide more time for modeling!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst your water scheme may be a bit of a burden for you with administration, it sounds a heck of a sight better than paying to a water company who’s only interest is paying out shareholders whilst allowing themselves to dump dirty foul polluted water into our rivers and sea. Oh and let is not forget the funding of their chief executives on likely 7 figure salaries.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Scheme is usually a type of plan, in engineering it has no negative connotation, but in common parlance it usually does.

Greg
Oh, ho, ho - here in good old blighty, 'plan' has certain connotations as in Baldrick's 'I have a cunning plan.' ;);)

For those less familiar with the delights of Rowan Atkinson's 'Blackadder', Baldrick's cunning plans were usually pretty useless, as Baldrick himself could be described as one of those people where the lift doesn't go to the top floor.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst your water scheme may be a bit of a burden for you with administration, it sounds a heck of a sight better than paying to a water company who’s only interest is paying out shareholders whilst allowing themselves to dump dirty foul polluted water into our rivers and sea. Oh and let is not forget the funding of their chief executives on likely 7 figure salaries.
Well at least our foul water (septic tanks) gets spread on the land!

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It is reassuring to know that all the water in your scheme has been passed by the management.

David

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Back to my Tramway related build and associated pics of scratchbuilding and inspirational pics .......

Steam tramways don't always have to be hauled by traditional engines .....
Stony Stratford Tram4.jpg

The Castlederg & Victoria Bridge roadside tramway was a similar enterprise - here's a loco and carriage which I modelled.......
DSCF2584.JPG

Testing Trains (4).JPG

Testing Trains (5).JPG

Last edited:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I thought I'd do some work on the trestle/s this morning .......

DSCF0833.JPG

DSCF0834.JPG

DSCF0835.JPG

DSCF0836.JPG

I'd already put 6 uprights in but it was difficult to get a nail gun in because of the Box (and Leylandii) shrubs. So I thought I'd lift a section of track as a starter, however it rained so I dived into the shed to look for the Aristo hex screwdriver (the useful blue handled tool). I spent some time - in excess of thirty minutes - looking for it (I have three) but found no trace. In the end it was one of my Hex Key sets that I found one that would fit the screw socket

DSCF0837.JPG

I had a suspicion that the track might be supporting the trestle - and yes it was! .....
DSCF0838.JPG

DSCF0839.JPG

So the sun's shining now - so I'm going to get some work done!

More to follow? Hope so ......

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
The sun was out for most of the afternoon so I made some progress.......

Trestles Repairs 28.02.22PM (1).JPG
I put the track back to check I was following the curve with the bents...

Trestles Repairs 28.02.22PM (2).JPG
You might notice, by the tiny solar light, that there is some metal at the foot of the bent. Hopefully, the 15mm copper (or steel) feet will slow down the process of rotting!

Trestles Repairs 28.02.22PM (3).JPG

Trestles Repairs 28.02.22PM (4).JPG
The horizontal timbers (like the one resting on the track) have to be cut, treated, bent, and fixed. Will probably use stainless woodscrews - as the main reason for making the bents in the workshop was that there was little, or no, room for the nailgun!

More to follow on a dry day ....

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
After being unable to do what I wanted on Tuesday (beautiful weather - blue skies and sunshine) I finally managed to do something this morning .....

0.3.03.22 (1).JPG

0.3.03.22 (2).JPG

0.3.03.22 (3).JPG
You can see the copper tube acting as a foot.

Then I had to pack up and get a shower for yet another visit to the doc's! After a late lunch, I've been out and made three more bents and put them in position. Might be able to a little bit more tomorrow.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
This morning I'd to wait for the sun to get rid of the frost (about 10.00am), Then I went out and removed a section of track to get to where I wanted to work between the shrubs. Made some more bents and set them in the soil. It was soon lunchtime so everything was left outside while I partook of some refreshment and a sarnie. Back out at 1.30 to remove another section of track to allow more trestle rebuilding. When that was off, it started to rain a little so I took some pics just in case the rain decided to hang around - and here I am!

04.03.22 (1).JPG
I'll prune where the Leylandi intrudes. The external horizontals are still OK from a previous repair.
04.03.22 (2).JPG
The Ivy will get its' marching orders too!

04.03.22 (3).JPG
When this section is rebuilt, it will be over to the other (Lighthouse) side!

04.03.22 (4).JPG
H'mm, the rain has stopped! Back out I go!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
And I've been busy again with the repairs ......

05.02.22 (1).JPG
Need to bridge the gap but I'm happy with things. The Ivy was dug out (burnt it in the stove otherwise it would have thrived on the compost heap!).

05.02.22 (2).JPG
05.02.22 (3).JPG
So I'll need to build a similar bridge for Pic No.1's location ......

05.02.22 (4).JPG
..... and the opposite side of pic No.1.

More to follow (I hope) tomorrow .....

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So, I've completed and installed the "bridge" .......

06.03.22 (1).JPG

........ and then found some more work that needed doing:banghead:......
06.03.22 (3).JPG
06.03.22 (4).JPG
I may have to take this bridge out to carry out repairs, although the real problem is the rotten support (4x2 rotted from the top). Meanwhile, I'm having a short rest:whew: