Ox Mountain Railway

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Good to see you're getting on with things.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I took the bridge out and, after starting to repair it, I gave up. I looked at building a new one before deciding just to make some more bents to fill the gap. They are now roughly set in position (just need the tops levelling up) and I have just one piece of treated timber left. I ran out of stainless nails of a certain length - so used the plain steel ones and clench nailed the timbers.....

06.03.22 (8).JPG
As can be seen, more rot was discovered.

06.03.22 (6).JPG
And, as I said, adjustments (by hammer) are needed.

06.03.22 (7).JPG

And, just to round off the day, the manual pressure control (for the feed to the airline) decided to come apart. I've tried screwing it back together but the spring is very strong and I haven't the strength to compress it to screw the components back together:banghead: I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow.
It (the compressor) has served me well for over twenty years or more so I may buy a new one!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Managed to repair the pressure regulator on the compressor and trimmed some tanalised timber down to size for the trestles ......

07.03.22 (1).JPG
The 'new' timber needs a coat of brown fence treatment of course. I have about 10 lengths still to fix into position but, although the ambient temperature reached about 8 degrees, the winds were very chilly! Still, I'm getting there!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So, it's over six weeks since I did anything with the trestles. A bit longer than that since I acquired this B'mann J&S coach .....

Recent spends (5).JPG

Recent spends (6).JPG

As can be seen, it's minus railings at either end - so it's sitting in the workshop awaiting my attention. It also carried the same stock number as two other coaches I have in that livery! So, one has stayed with number 1051, whilst the two others have had the last digit changed. Here's a pic of one that's in the trailer ....

DSCF0913.JPG
The lettering and lining is in a 'silver' finish but I had to mutilate some white Letraset numerals to replace the figure 1. I did try rubbing a pencil over the white on one coach (in the shed) but wasn't too pleased.

Here's the trio in the trailer before being packed away for safe transportation ......

DSCF0914.JPG

I might get number 1502's hand rails installed so it'll make a nice train for the trailer layout. Might is the operative word!

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, pewter replacements are available, have a look at GR5, used this myself and was very pleased

Hers is my thread where I used these parts:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, for those of poor memory such as me and those new to the forum, would you remind us of the design of your trailer layout, please?

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, pewter replacements are available, have a look at GR5, used this myself and was very pleased

Hers is my thread where I used these parts:

Hi Jimmy - thanks for the links. I have it mind to use a welding rod (gas welding filler) to fabricate the hand rails. I'll see how I get on - but thankyou.
Mick, for those of poor memory such as me and those new to the forum, would you remind us of the design of your trailer layout, please?
I will when I find the pics!

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I finally got round to adding a coat of brown fence treatment to the three pieces that currently form the replacement for the bridge .....

DSCF0915.JPG

....... and the old bridge became useful when I treated a further three lengths to finish that part of the trestle ......

DSCF0916.JPG
it proved useful to support the three pieces in the sun!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Finally found a drawing of the layout track - rough measurement is approx 20'6" x 6' with 10 electrical sections.....

Track diagram 2015.jpg

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jimmy - thanks for the links. I have it mind to use a welding rod (gas welding filler) to fabricate the hand rails. I'll see how I get on - but thankyou.
I use 1.6mm brazing rod for my handrails, theses days, cheap as anything on eBay.

David

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Just a pic of my progress with the new hand/balcony railings so far .....

DSCF0917.JPG
It looks like it's a little wonky on the right - shall have to get a decent perspective. Can't find the handwheels for the brakes that I thought I had:banghead: So I'll have to take another look through the many boxes of stuff that has accumulated over the years - or buy some more - or even make some! Then I need to make another hand rail (for the other end) as one of the step grabrails is broken too. Then, when satisfied, I'll paint all.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mike, I might just have some (gratis) plastic hand-wheels of the correct size, if you are interested, I will check this evening.
That would be great! Sorry for taking so long to reply but I've only just seen your posting this minute!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So, the wonky railing must have been my clumsy handling before the glue set! Needed to apply pressure with a pair of pliers to get things levelled up ...

May 6th 22 (4).JPG

Gave them a coat of gold Hammerite. Still the step's grabrail/s to sort out!

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Still the step's grabrail/s to sort out!

So you are looking for something like these? Three complete ones (though two have over-paint) and one with one fixing broken (and over-painted). All are plastic . . .

1651932011709.png
Can't find the handwheels for the brakes that I thought I had

. . . and (if Jimmy can't find his) while I'm going through the "bits box" how about these off some dismembered Bachmann coaches? (both plastic) . . .

1651932179494.png

All available gratis. Not sure how easy postage to Ireland is these days, but I'm sure we can sort something out. Start a conversation if you are interested.

Best wishes

DavId

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, found my handwheels, however they are attached to the stems, and unless you were to use them as a whole unit you would need to chop the wheels off and drill a hole in the centre. Dave's items maybe a better choice.

IMG_1393.jpg

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, found my handwheels, however they are attached to the stems, and unless you were to use them as a whole unit you would need to chop the wheels off and drill a hole in the centre. Dave's items maybe a better choice.

View attachment 298193
Thanks Jim for your kind offer and effort. Yes you are right, Dave's would be the right match - I will start a conversation with him. There so many nice and helpful people participating in G Scale Central.

As an aside, I wonder how the plastic hand/grab rails on this particular coach became so brittle? I have many B'mann coaches - some quite a few years old - and have never experienced this before. I wonder if it is UV light but the coach itself doesn't show any signs (like fading colours) at all.