Ox Mountain Railway

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
It always surprises me how dandelions can manage to take root in places where nothing else wants to grow. If you wanted something else to grow there, it would probably wither and die. A squirt of Weedol will soon sort them out.

Rik

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
If you don't get the long root out they will sprout again, if getting to the root is problematic, then a strong weed killer may be the only solution. I dig out all my dandelions in both the railway and garden, and after 10 years they still appear, but in very few numbers.

The main problem is that the worst affected areas used to be single track. When I doubled it, I just put a thin layer of concrete next to the original for the new track. The seeds found their way down the joint between the two foundations. I do have a root remover tool but that only works in soil.
It always surprises me how dandelions can manage to take root in places where nothing else wants to grow. If you wanted something else to grow there, it would probably wither and die. A squirt of Weedol will soon sort them out.

Rik
Yes they do seem to grow where nothing else will. I do have weedkillers but I'm worried about the moggies!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The main problem is that the worst affected areas used to be single track. When I doubled it, I just put a thin layer of concrete next to the original for the new track. The seeds found their way down the joint between the two foundations. I do have a root remover tool but that only works in soil.

Yes they do seem to grow where nothing else will. I do have weedkillers but I'm worried about the moggies!
?????

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty well most weeds, especially in their early stages, hate boiling water. That was a tip from a radio professional gardener and it works pretty well.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty well most weeds, especially in their early stages, hate boiling water. That was a tip from a radio professional gardener and it works pretty well.
Yep!

DO mind the cats..
Oh! Don't wear shorts, when applying..
:eek::sweating:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The trick is getting the boiling water from the stove to the lawn.....:think:.....The best way I know is to fill a thermos and shlep back and forth between the stove and yard. Otherwise, its surprising how quickly boiling water cools and you're simply watering the weeds.....:rofl:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
The trick is getting the boiling water from the stove to the lawn.....:think:.....The best way I know is to fill a thermos and shlep back and forth between the stove and yard. Otherwise, its surprising how quickly boiling water cools and you're simply watering the weeds.....:rofl:
Last year, I plugged a kettle in the porch so it wasn't too bad - but the dandys seem to survive almost everything (must be in their DNA). Funny though - I used to like Dandelions (as in Dandelion and Burdock pop)!

I've even thought of using a syringe to adminster the weed killer into the roots.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Last year, I plugged a kettle in the porch so it wasn't too bad - but the dandys seem to survive almost everything (must be in their DNA). Funny though - I used to like Dandelions (as in Dandelion and Burdock pop)!

I've even thought of using a syringe to adminster the weed killer into the roots.
Have you not thought of spraying the track with some of your excellent Irish whiskey, that way the weeds will come up half cut.

David

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Have you not thought of spraying the track with some of your excellent Irish whiskey, that way the weeds will come up half cut.

David
Nah, just drink the whiskey, and then you won't worry about the weeds. :drunk:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

David

roflmao.gif

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Don't worry, I'll support the local distilleries for you both. The things men do for their friends!
Trevor

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If I see an dandelion flower anywhere in the garden, I pull it off before it goes to seed.

A translocated herbicide weedkiller will do the trick and Weedol is suitable for lawns ;);)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Rik
Well, it's an example of survival of the fittest.

There is no definition of a weed, they are just common plants, but because of their ability to grow in difficult places, they (including dandelions) are quite common :devil: :devil:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Personally I quite like dandelions. TBH I couldn't tell the time without one :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I find time for them because they are in flower early in the year and so provide a source of food for bees and other insects, but I keep an eye on them and nip the flower off before it seeds.