trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well it's some time since I posted anything on my thread so I'll make a start now while I can! First up, trains I have run up to now:-

02.02.21 (1).JPG

April 15th 2021  (5).JPG

And it all adds up to just four trains run this year!

But I haven't been totally idle as regards things for the railway - I've been sorting out timber for rebuilding the trestles. It isn't just decaying timbers that are a problem, it's the nails I used that are rusting away that are causing things to come loose or drop off. As I use a nail gun, I am now going to use Stainless Steel nails.

The new timber is from treated planks (nominal 4 x 1) that I cut down to make 3 x 1 palings for fencing. Obviously, the tanalith only penetrates so far so the saw cuts reveal untreated faces. These have now been treated;-

The first, square sectioned, timbers
April 10th 2021 (6).JPG

and the treatment process

These are some more offcuts. I group them together so painting on the treatment is quicker - just have to turn things over three times!

April 13th 2021 (5).JPG

and the treated wood enjoying the morning sunshine
April 13th 2021 (6).JPG

and, finally (for the moment) a view of the ragged fibres that ensued from ripping down sodden timber! Took some getting rid of I'll tell you!
April 13th 2021 (3).JPG

So, don't hold your breath, it could be some time before the rebuild starts!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
It's well over four months since I started sawing up and treating the timber I needed to refurbish the trestles, etc. The station and depot areas have suffered a cataclysmic subsidence - as the following pics reveal! I have now made a start on the refurbishment (honest!).

The depot has a drunken lean opposite way to the station -
DSCF0324.JPG
DSCF0325.JPGYou can see that the concrete has split!

DSCF0329.JPG
The above pic reveals the situation - so all needed to be removed from the base boards.

DSCF0332.JPG

More to follow showing the first stages of clearing everything.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
just another couple of pics from yesterday...

DSCF0333.JPG
DSCF0334.JPG
Top; The wooden Freight Depot which houses the original controls (2005) is well and truly beyond repair! I have the materials to build an identical structure which I will start once the trackbed is renewed.
Bottom; When I built the station in 2012, I thought it would look nice with a board walk all round. Although the glue (PU sealant) was very effective, the wood swelled up and looked a mess! This time, if I use wood, I'll leave a larger gap between the boards!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Great pics, Mick !

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Still trying to beat the clock (rain). Apart from shopping yesterday AM - which absorbed most of the morning - I removed weeds (plantain - they drive me bananas) - had a sweep up of the area and continued sawing up the tanalised planks.

So now I have the "baseboards" done - or so I thought! I'd used the originals as templates but, such is my memory, I'd forgotten that I'd extended the width og one end for the depot!!!!!! Eejit I am, as the I'd just removed the extension pieces a couple of days before! So out with saws again today.

Just a few pics of work so far....

DSCF0338.JPG
The vegetation! The angle bracket helped secure the 100mm width base extension for the depot!

DSCF0339.JPG
Ballasr removed.

DSCF0340.JPG
Short arms and deep pockets syndrome - this will form the base for the new ballast!

DSCF0343.JPG
Planks cut to the required length with some scribbled lines denoting where my jigsaw should - make it neater with a Makita?

DSCF0342.JPG
The first of the three sections supported on buckets (I will now have to rework this to make it wider) - Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work we go - with a shovel and pick, and a walking stick, (and half a brain) Hi Ho, Hi Ho!

DSCF0344.JPG
The three sections - still supported on buckets!

DSCF0345.JPG
So, apart from encreasing the width of the nearest section, it's a matter of getting the levels right so I can make the legs!

Onwards and upwards (well it for the farthest section!).

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Still trying to beat the clock (rain). Apart from shopping yesterday AM - which absorbed most of the morning - I removed weeds (plantain - they drive me bananas) - had a sweep up of the area and continued sawing up the tanalised planks.

So now I have the "baseboards" done - or so I thought! I'd used the originals as templates but, such is my memory, I'd forgotten that I'd extended the width og one end for the depot!!!!!! Eejit I am, as the I'd just removed the extension pieces a couple of days before! So out with saws again today.

View attachment 289500
The vegetation! The angle bracket helped secure the 100mm width base extension for the depot!

View attachment 289501
Ballasr removed.

View attachment 289502
Short arms and deep pockets syndrome - this will form the base for the new ballast!

View attachment 289504
Planks cut to the required length with some scribbled lines denoting where my jigsaw should - make it neater with a Makita?

View attachment 289503
The first of the three sections supported on buckets (I will now have to rework this to make it wider) - Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work we go - with a shovel and pick, and a walking stick, (and half a brain) Hi Ho, Hi Ho!

View attachment 289505

View attachment 289506
So, apart from encreasing the width of the nearest section, it's a matter of getting the levels right so I can make the legs!

Looks very neat, it'll almost be sad to cover it all up.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 289500

View attachment 289501
Ballasr removed.

View attachment 289502

View attachment 289504

View attachment 289503

View attachment 289505

View attachment 289506

Are you going to cover the wood with good quality roofing felt? Will help the wood last a lot lot longer.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like the half of a brain that you say you are using is working fine Mick. Keep the pictures, (and the quips), coming.
Trevor

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Are you going to cover the wood with good quality roofing felt? Will help the wood last a lot lot longer.
No need if it's tanalised - the roofing felt will be a moisture trap and won't allow the timber to dry out in the breeze or sun. As there's air underneath, it's better to let it circulate :):)

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Not seen this railway for a while. Love the junction layouts on this.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I was thinking about it Jon then I saw Rhino's thoughts below - now I'm wondering?
No need if it's tanalised - the roofing felt will be a moisture trap and won't allow the timber to dry out in the breeze or sun. As there's air underneath, it's better to let it circulate :):)

You've got me thinking now! I have some torch-on felt that I was going to use (not that I was going to use my big torch - just a blow-lamp for the joints).

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I was thinking about it Jon then I saw Rhino's thoughts below - now I'm wondering?

You've got me thinking now! I have some torch-on felt that I was going to use (not that I was going to use my big torch - just a blow-lamp for the joints).
If you leave it uncovered, you can bung some timber preservative (oil based) every few years. Tanalith is good stuff, and will protect against rot for many years, especially if there's nothing causing moisture to be trapped around the timber. Just look at your fences and gates (not the flimsy larch lap panels) but the solid stuff - lasts ages :):)

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
If you leave it uncovered, you can bung some timber preservative (oil based) every few years. Tanalith is good stuff, and will protect against rot for many years, especially if there's nothing causing moisture to be trapped around the timber. Just look at your fences and gates (not the flimsy larch lap panels) but the solid stuff - lasts ages :):)
My fences & gates? I make my own & give them a coat of the non-water based stuff - I'll do the same with these bases now that I've finished them. Still need to make the legs (get the length correct) - but at least they're already treated!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
My fences & gates? I make my own & give them a coat of the non-water based stuff - I'll do the same with these bases now that I've finished them. Still need to make the legs (get the length correct) - but at least they're already treated!
Yeah, difficult to get non-water based stuff. Sadolins is still fairly OK.

But, there is no such thing as an eco-friendly wood preservative. By wanting to preserve timber, you are wanting to work against the natural ecology that rots it down and turns it back to earth ;););)

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
This is one of the epic builds I enjoyed reading when I first joined the forum winter before last. It’s a shame so many of the original photos disappear over time. I’m grateful for the new construction/rehabilitation updates.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes this can be a bit of an issue, but as you have seen in the past Mick does use ballast that holds water, certainly a heat based felt will help massively to preserve the wood. For my case I use tube black felt gunk at joints then also where either screws or pins are used then ballast. Wood does last so much longer that way.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes this can be a bit of an issue, but as you have seen in the past Mick does use ballast that holds water, certainly a heat based felt will help massively to preserve the wood. For my case I use tube black felt gunk at joints then also where either screws or pins are used then ballast. Wood does last so much longer that way.
I beg to differ, but then what do I know? I'm only a retired Chartered Builder

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, difficult to get non-water based stuff. Sadolins is still fairly OK.

But, there is no such thing as an eco-friendly wood preservative. By wanting to preserve timber, you are wanting to work against the natural ecology that rots it down and turns it back to earth ;););)
Yes you're right about the (non) eco friendly side of things. Even five hours after I used the treatment I could smell it outside!

Well I managed to determine how things were going to play out if I didn't widen the first base -
DSCF0346.JPG
as can be seen, it had to be widened. However, nothing is wasted as the outside plank (No.4) became No.5 when its' place was taken by a new No.4.
DSCF0348.JPG
So, the boards were coated both sides with the "correct" wood treatment and then placed back together -
DSCF0347.JPG

I'll see what tomorrow brings - the wee beasties have been biting (face and neck like a Dot to Dot puzzle!). Anybody in the Highlands have a cure?