trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
That stock looks quite at home - could this be a changing trend on the Ox Mountain Railway?

Rik

Naw - it's just a sideline:)

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So, continuing from post 978, I thought I'd try something else (just in case I did not manage to get the L&B carriage repaired).

13.5.19.JPG

I even posed the L&B one on the tail of the train (before I swapped the wheels back to the 25mm ones)

13.5.19  _5_.JPG

So, I'm a little hesitant to run the three TTT coaches but, all being well, I'll have the L&B one fettled thanks to Maxi, Rhino, and GRS. Oh, and a bit of effort from me.

Continuing on a simulated Irish narrow gauge theme, I found my Castlederg & Victoria Bridge items -
here is the train running on track power .....

15.5.19  _3_.JPG

and then on battery power .....

17.5.19  _3_.JPG

The track power pick-up is the van with a 2-pin plug from the loco. When first built, the loco picked up power via its own wheels but, as I made them from aluminium, after a few weeks the wheels became poor at conducting so I made the van. Then I found that the short wheelbase van didn't like the R1 pomts in the trailer so I built an open truck to carry a battery pack - four AA cells - and some timber packing cases to disquise the pack ......

17.5.19  _5_.JPG

The on/off switch pokes through the packing case and is just start or stop.

To be further continued....

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Some very nice trains, there, Mick, and great photos. The L&B with the TTT coaches looks really good.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Some very nice trains, there, Mick, and great photos. The L&B with the TTT coaches looks really good.

I'll take the three coaches just in case!

First, a pic showing the Meccano battery box in the truck .....

20.5.19  _9_.JPG

and then minor mod (centre of pic) to switch on the battery power for the railbus ....

20.5.19  _1_.JPG

And a close up of the simple motor and drive

20.5.19  _2_.JPG

Then it was time to put it on the track and test!

20.5.19  _7_.JPG

So it worked OK - nice and steady and easy for me to push the protruding wire inwards to stop it.

Then it was time to open the two little bags from GRS. I was looking forward to this as I thought it was as simple 'push the ventilator bases into the pre-drilled holes in the roof and glue the top into the bases'.

20.5.19  _10_.JPG
On the left is the base and the one on the right is the top of the ventilator. Both pieces are showing their undersides.

Well, there's nowt like getting it wrong is there? Firstly, the base would not allow itself to be inserted into the hole - so that's six holes to enlarge. Secondly the top wouldn't mate up either. Both items need the surplus plastic trimming off and, as that needs a sharp knife, I had to prove it. Yes the knife was sharp as it slipped on the very hard plastic and dug into the end of a finger :banghead:. So that made me have a cup of coffee (and two shortbread biscuits).

The grass is now ready for cutting again - if it wasn't for the bad luck I wouldn't have much at all:(. Unfortunately, I remembered to get some more petrol last week!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I persevered with trimming the surplus plastic off the ventilators and had to enlarge the holes in the carriage roof to allow the bases to be located. MekPak was used to glue things together ......

Southern Livery _6_.JPG

So, with vents done, the next job is to make some steps ......

Southern Livery _2_.JPG

..... as the other end doesn't have any!

Southern Livery _5_.JPG

Before I embark on making some more steps, I decided to get the other coach out to see what was missing on that one!

Well one end was OK (as regards steps) ......

Carriage in waiting  _5_.JPG

but guard's end was defficient .....

Carriage in waiting  _4_.JPG

There's one step complete, and one shortened! .......

Carriage in waiting  _8_.JPG

Whilst handling the carriage I noticed I could see gaps around the Duckets. The vacuun formed items could be removed! So now I have a way forward for the shortening process! Anyway, acquiring at least five steps (buying or making), will be a step in the right direction!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'll take the three coaches just in case!

First, a pic showing the Meccano battery box in the truck .....

View attachment 252417

and then minor mod (centre of pic) to switch on the battery power for the railbus ....

View attachment 252418

And a close up of the simple motor and drive

View attachment 252419

Then it was time to put it on the track and test!

View attachment 252420

So it worked OK - nice and steady and easy for me to push the protruding wire inwards to stop it.

Then it was time to open the two little bags from GRS. I was looking forward to this as I thought it was as simple 'push the ventilator bases into the pre-drilled holes in the roof and glue the top into the bases'.

View attachment 252421
On the left is the base and the one on the right is the top of the ventilator. Both pieces are showing their undersides.

Well, there's nowt like getting it wrong is there? Firstly, the base would not allow itself to be inserted into the hole - so that's six holes to enlarge. Secondly the top wouldn't mate up either. Both items need the surplus plastic trimming off and, as that needs a sharp knife, I had to prove it. Yes the knife was sharp as it slipped on the very hard plastic and dug into the end of a finger :banghead:. So that made me have a cup of coffee (and two shortbread biscuits).

The grass is now ready for cutting again - if it wasn't for the bad luck I wouldn't have much at all:(. Unfortunately, I remembered to get some more petrol last week!
Both of your Battery Conversions are simplicity itself. Sure you will get to like the no Track cleaning option and go for more.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Both of your Battery Conversions are simplicity itself. Sure you will get to like the no Track cleaning option and go for more.

I've too much track powered stuff really :banghead: To operate more than one train at a time, I'd really want R/C - but there'd be a tech problem for sure (for me!).

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Just come in from starting to make some steps .....

End steps.JPG

I cut them from some plastic angle. Now all five are in a vice and sporting a metal bracket each. I'm using Gorilla Glue so it takes time to set properly. Then it'll be out with a rattle can and, hopefully they'll be mounted on the Southern coach tomorrow afternoon!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Just come in from starting to make some steps .....

View attachment 252587

I cut them from some plastic angle. Now all five are in a vice and sporting a metal bracket each. I'm using Gorilla Glue so it takes time to set properly. Then it'll be out with a rattle can and, hopefully they'll be mounted on the Southern coach tomorrow afternoon!
Which part of the gorilla gets melted down?

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Mick wait till you get the GRS instruction sheets I sent you with the Annie chassis. All will become clear and the possiblities for modification will multiply. They have a quite specific modular construction and ordering. Get it wrong and you could end up with frustratingly uneven length sides. Yes the duckets are vac forms that are glued to modified coach side modules.

Those vents - was it molding "flash" or did it seem the 1/2's of the molds were not quite mated up correctly. I had to do some work to correct that fault on mine, some 12 years ago. Max

Last edited:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick wait till you get the GRS instruction sheets I sent you with the Annie chassis. All will become clear and the possiblities for modification will multiply. They have a quite specific modular construction and ordering. Get it wrong and you could end up with frustratingly uneven length sides. Yes the duckets are vac forms that are glued to modified coach side modules.

Those vents - was it molding "flash" or did it seem the 1/2's of the molds were not quite mated up correctly. I had to do some work to correct that fault on mine, some 12 years ago. Max

Hi Max - blooming moulding flash. At least on the second attempt at cutting off I didn't create any more blood samples!

I have the diagrams - thank you very much - and I will peruse them but I think I've found a way forward (or backwards in this case of shortening :). The sun's out now - weed clearing (as in burning) is the next thing for me now. I will have a look after tea (especially if my better half rings her sister!).

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I persevered with trimming the surplus plastic off the ventilators and had to enlarge the holes in the carriage roof to allow the bases to be located. MekPak was used to glue things together ......

View attachment 252568

So, with vents done, the next job is to make some steps ......

View attachment 252569

..... as the other end doesn't have any!

View attachment 252570

Before I embark on making some more steps, I decided to get the other coach out to see what was missing on that one!

Well one end was OK (as regards steps) ......

View attachment 252571

but guard's end was defficient .....

View attachment 252572

There's one step complete, and one shortened! .......

View attachment 252573

Whilst handling the carriage I noticed I could see gaps around the Duckets. The vacuun formed items could be removed! So now I have a way forward for the shortening process! Anyway, acquiring at least five steps (buying or making), will be a step in the right direction!

Actually, five steps in the right direction. :)

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
The glue had set by this morning so it was a quick blather with some matt black .....
End steps _2_.JPG

Then on with my morning chores before turning the steps over to give another blast of paint. The metalwork, crude in its' entirety, was fashioned from a piece of nominal 1mm steel wire ex S.W.A cabled. New holes were needed to allow a reasonable fit and medium (as in viscosity) superglue was used to secure them. Once the glue had gone off, I found some matt black brush apply paint and painted both ends of the carriage.....

End steps Fitted.JPG

The paint was still drying but that didn't matter as long as I picked it up by the sides. Talking of sides, the next job will be to make the footboards. The other carriage as as some bright mild steel one (10mm x 1mm I think) but, that may not be available in this part of the world! ...

DSCF0410.JPG

There will be four end brackets and six intermediate ones to make (good old steel wire armoured cable!).
The footboards may end up being made of wood.

Whilst examining the sides, I became more aware of a anomaly in the side panels. The rear goods/luggage compartment side pieces were shorter than the rest!!!

Height anomaly 2.JPG

The distortion is partly due to my (lack of) photographic skills! The long coach also suffers the same (amongst other things)......

Height anomaly.JPG

I'm going to dispose of luggage compartment in my proposed rebuild...

DSCF0413.JPG

I'm hoping to cut out the 2 1/2 "solid" panels, Then cut out the single width glazed ones, move the double width (at the rear) glazed one up to the door on the left and fit a vertical glazing bar, then fit the doors currently near the back. The singled glazed panel will then go to the back.

Confused? I know I will be!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Just to give a better idea .....

L_B Jigsaw001.jpg

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A good day's work, Mick, but, sadly, apparently another day or more's work discovered.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
A good day's work, Mick, but, sadly, apparently another day or more's work discovered.

Unfortunately, it's self propagating!

Well I got my sums wrong - the shorter carriage only needs five brackets per side. Some more wire, and the "rak at'ee" or in proper English, the rake of the eye! I could have made a former but life's too short.

Footboards _2_.JPG

The other five side brackets are fitted and supporting a hardwood footboard....

Footboards _1_.JPG

So now I'm waiting for Gorilla glue to set.