Ox Mountain Railway

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Another repair triumph, Mick. Well done!

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Another repair triumph, Mick. Well done!

Fingers crossed!

Well, I nearly completed another little project yesterday. This was the previously repaired blue Big Hauler. I had bought it because I wanted a B&O Royal Blue - I had bid on it but was (apparently) "sniped" at the last few seconds. So I thought I'd give it an I.D. change - courtesy of Matt Vinyl.

Name Change (3).JPG

The above was printed on glossy photopaper just to see if it would look OK. It took me ages to find the right typeface although I couldn't find the correct one for the serrifs on the B&O. The Royal Blue Line is Vivaldi.

As purchased and repaired .......

Name Change (1).JPG
Name Change (2).JPG

...... and as it is now.....

Name Change (4).JPG

Name Change (5).JPG

The rivetts on the tender do stick out quite a lot but I didn't want to overdo things in case I got a loco in the correct (as in Bachmann's correct) livery. The rear of the tender needs a sticker and the 833 on the light needs altering to 1332 (Correction pen and water based black ink fine pen).

So I ran it around a few times before putting it away for the winter! ....

On Test (2).JPG

On Test.JPG

Plenty of other projects to complete as long as it doesn't get too cold in the shed.

Reactions: 5 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Fingers crossed!

Well, I nearly completed another little project yesterday. This was the previously repaired blue Big Hauler. I had bought it because I wanted a B&O Royal Blue - I had bid on it but was (apparently) "sniped" at the last few seconds. So I thought I'd give it an I.D. change - courtesy of Matt Vinyl.

View attachment 244978

The above was printed on glossy photopaper just to see if it would look OK. It took me ages to find the right typeface although I couldn't find the correct one for the serrifs on the B&O. The Royal Blue Line is Vivaldi.

View attachment 244979
View attachment 244980

View attachment 244981

View attachment 244982

The rivetts on the tender do stick out quite a lot but I didn't want to overdo things in case I got a loco in the correct (as in Bachmann's correct) livery. The rear of the tender needs a sticker and the 833 on the light needs altering to 1332 (Correction pen and water based black ink fine pen).

View attachment 244985

View attachment 244986

Plenty of other projects to complete as long as it doesn't get too cold in the shed.

A nice way to end the running season, Mick. You've made a very neat job there.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Fingers crossed!

View attachment 244978

View attachment 244979
View attachment 244980

View attachment 244981

View attachment 244982

View attachment 244985

View attachment 244986

Mick, if I could have found my J&Ss in that livery I wouldn't have bothered painting them all!!! Stilll like mine with the white roofs though.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So, having waited (and waited) for days to test it out I finally got the Round Tu-it today! No problems - wheels stayed in place whilst I ran a few trips around....

View attachment 244952

View attachment 244953

I had looked at taking a front wheelset from a spare chassis. I did take it out but there were major differences - for one thing it was a solid axle with insulated wheel centres and it had no bearings! The axle just ran in the plastic! If the present repair fails then I will saw off the stub axles and bore out the wheel centres and make a solid axle to suit the brass bearings!

View attachment 244955

Well, all I can say is that, it did fail when I ran it yesterday!:banghead: So, it's back to the drawing board!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So, to continue the story of failure! The first pic shows how things ended up last November .....

Southern repaired 20.03 _1_.JPG
(The other side was OK but, of course, it was this side letting the side down!)

So having stripped it down again, I decided to consign the whole chassis to the spares bin (or box in this case). I had some green ETWNC BH/Annies - why not just attach the Southern tender to one of these? So I did. T'only trouble that was niggling me was the different shades of green (no, not the forty shades). So, the incongruity of such a mismatch annoyed me. One ETWNC loco was going to donate a chassis!

It took a couple of hours stripping down another loco, fitting and wiring up. Whilst the original BH chassis on the Southern had outside valve gear, the ETWNC one did not. In fact, the latter had quite an early one.

Anyway, a bench test, then a quick run round outside in the drizzle - a couple of pics.....

Southern repaired 20.03 _2_.JPG

Southern repaired 20.03 _3_.JPG

So who's to know that it didn't come like this originally? Oops! I've spilt the beans!

So I need to paint the top of the valve chests black and a few other areas in the same colour and that will do me. Life's too short. Need to make a new hooter/whistle as the original seems to have left home:banghead:.

So my testing of motive power for the new season is currently completed. Now I need to check the rolling stock!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Nice job, Mick and a loco you can describe on eBay as "Rare" and be telling the truth.

penylanpip

Registered
1 Apr 2010
Barry, UK
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
A lesson in perseverance, Mick, from which I must learn. I'm afraid that I would have reached the "Oh, stuff it!" stage before now.
A very satisfying outcome, and I notice that you had no furry company in the drizzle...

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work Mick.

An idea, you may wish to add a pair of simple valve rods as used on the smaller mining Mogul. A lengh of stiff L shaped wire should suffice with the long end in the valve chest and the short entering the top of the frames just ahead or astern of the front drivers.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Since my last post I have been tidying up weeding. It's a tiresome job trying to beat nature but there's only me to do it.

The high level line was totally blocked at the Ivy Ledge location:-

Maintenance _2_.JPG

Maintenance _6_.JPG

..... and access to the water mill was pretty ropey too!

I clip the ivy once or twice a year but, over the years, it had decided to extend its' territory. Sending out feelers under the track it managed to scale the cliff face. I decided it looked OK without thinking what might happen to the track.

As the Ivy spread, the "feeler" increased in diameter and started to lift the track. I cut one section from under track as the ivy looked to be OK. Indeed, it looked to be OK for many months until it started to die back. Slowly it lost its grip and the high winds proved this!

DSCF0262.JPG

DSCF0263.JPG

After severe pruning I did manage to run a train (well, in this case, a tram!)....

22 April _8_.JPG

Weeds have beeb pulled up where possible but I need to make a long-term solution - particularly to eliminate the dandelions!

Reactions: 1 users

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Phew! I read the first sentence as 'tidying up wedding'. Battling the undergrowth seems a far more rewarding and successful enterprise.

I recently cleared ten years' growth of ivy on one of my raised beds for similar reasons. 'Triffid' came to mind while I was doing it. You seem to have been a lot more successful than my efforts, Mick.

Rik

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Irate commuter: Why are the trains not running today?

Railway employee: The line's blocked by ivy, Sir.

Irate commuter: Well, can't someone just tell her to move?

Boom! Boom!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
So, having waited (and waited) for days to test it out I finally got the Round Tu-it today! No problems - wheels stayed in place whilst I ran a few trips around....

View attachment 244952

View attachment 244953

I had looked at taking a front wheelset from a spare chassis. I did take it out but there were major differences - for one thing it was a solid axle with insulated wheel centres and it had no bearings! The axle just ran in the plastic! If the present repair fails then I will saw off the stub axles and bore out the wheel centres and make a solid axle to suit the brass bearings!

View attachment 244955
If you're still stuck ('scuse the pun) I might have an ex_Buddy L axle that has remarkable similarities - although I haven't actually checked the diameter :confused:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Phew! I read the first sentence as 'tidying up wedding'. Battling the undergrowth seems a far more rewarding and successful enterprise.

I recently cleared ten years' growth of ivy on one of my raised beds for similar reasons. 'Triffid' came to mind while I was doing it. You seem to have been a lot more successful than my efforts, Mick.

Rik

You can almost see the plant growing - reaching out for pastures new - all from one little pot. Don't why I bought it really seeing as it grows wild here very well.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
If you're still stuck ('scuse the pun) I might have an ex_Buddy L axle that has remarkable similarities - although I haven't actually checked the diameter :confused:

I'll have to have a look (I have two B Hells) - the original chassis is in box marked with an upper case K followed by a lower case n - and so on.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Weeds have beeb pulled up where possible but I need to make a long-term solution - particularly to eliminate the dandelions!
Eliminate? :wondering: Dandelions? :rofl:
Not even the Blessed Saint Patrick could achieve that ...

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
As my next outing with the trailer is to the former Cavan & Leitrim station at Ballinamore, I thought of running a Lynton & Barnstable train as it has some similarities to C & M. Having tried, with reasonable success, with one coach (the other is far too long at 600mm) I thought of the wooden trucks/vans that James the red engine hauls. Of course, I tried them out in the garden before carrying all to the trailer for further trials. Just a few pics -
11.5.19 L _ B _5_.JPG

11.5.19 L _ B _7_.JPG

11.5.19 L _ B _9_.JPG

11.5.19 L _ B _8_.JPG

and the coach that is too long ....

11.5.19 L _ B _2_.JPG

They are both brake coaches - the first, sitting at the correct height and the second on a pair of Bachmann trucks. The long one has no couplings so is only posed for the shot.

In the trailer, with all the R1 curves and points, the loco and green coach don't have and problems with the reverse curves or points. The swept path of the coach (with its' bogie mounted hook and loops) is similar to a Big Hauler.

So then I thought of some wooden vans (currently used by James the Red engine) and how I could make up a longer train. That proved to be a negative as the 2-axle vans didn't like the points!

However, I think I'll take them along as the outer loop shouldn't be a problem!

The wooden stock in 2005 ....

Garden Railway _350_.jpg

So now I need to make roof ventilators, steps for the rear end, footboards, etc.

To be continued.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Looking forward to the next part, Mick, and some excellent photos btw.