Outdoor track plan & thoughts

EgMaf

Registered
21 May 2018
France
Best answers
Hello everybody, this is my first post and I'd like start with introducing the garden layout I'm building. It is my first ever LGB layout, but I do have 30+ years of Märklin H0 (and a year or 2 of N) behind me. And this is version 23 of the plan already :)

y4m-JyI3L7PrjfWMkohyOrngybF6LeEJyJVjDuJUkhrvjqiQds_tniPtvg-Kc2XLbcxswHpRxQ2G_0_K0sD8zTffXFBlOegiM7nMS_-egmQ7u3w2HhFPNm22_XR_OUzj8NpNPrDgwO7XZrXtFrKgyzEI6JBx22gOxWK156soaKpUxtNrK7TGWlajl5lOiY1hOXNSZ7D6Ei68B7ZTRMJk48qdQ

Considerations:
  1. The outer shape is defined by the flowerbeds it is in.
  2. There is a possibility to extend at the lower right curve (just replace a 16000 with an R3 switch.
  3. Red is main track power, blue is switched over a Massoth loop controller, and green is switched from blue over another Massoth loop controller. That way it is easier once I extend from the red part and less issues with max train length.
  4. Everything is minimal R3 (incl switches) and are "smoothed" with R5 at the beginning and end, and no S curves without straight in between. Exceptions:
    1. Dead end tracks and the middle platform track (using R1 switches)
    2. The inner curves in both loops (partly R2)
    3. The S curve for the lower platform track (R5 S curve)
  5. All curse (except those for point 4) started "smooth" with R4
And here some pictures to show it is not anymore just in my head :)
y4m6vpEFSw_nDp0kZbeZs64OQe7FGz-lvsVURlmU0vak2AGYGOfE18_Y2phTUQH161RuYYdcD0RPk0X-pa1vHWBc5mkakxj8bxucG3RD9V4iTP090YF3Oq1kZz1D1tqvr_fwosnqnYVGGci40zCAE_NM7ixe5RaPhONs-NQhGQfSeyXTkWCmTUrv29eR5GHLFAE78UlzpH2YjQNq60LWqmSYQ
y4m4K_QE5r6LUJwfBfvPiabU8dqNctru-qJRNqydo6FozB7mmiL0RstFLGN0Li1qaT-MWEwC7g5-c2hRyqht2wpiWy-L9oVeCg4eG8Hbq1Cai-3c9PSa7nGSIqvWr-_Ecr59J4Krs5qGL5BezuAb5MkRa_HfIbRDUTtBsy7RYRMx7QLHP_d-eo1I_sWCQVXKj7NCjvErxW2u7yJyt2QpgfFFQ

There are some minor differences between the plan and the pictures, because the plan has evolved now that I've seen it in reality!

Currently I am using a Märklin CS2 (3A version unfortunately). Once that one runs out of power, I'll probably go for a CS3+. Engines are a mix of LGB analog with Massoth decoders (Mogul, V200, Stainz), Märklin Maxi (E10 with Delta decoders) and an occasional Märklin Gauge 1 MFX engine (BR24 & BR94).

Any feedback would be appreciated....

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Very good layout and a lot of places for buildings and warehouses a long with switching cars, + being able to reverse direction. The only thing I would add is a parallel track in the blue section so you could have a train run the entire layout without having to do any switching, like during conversations with some one over the layout or during "O beer thirty", Bill

Reactions: 1 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
That looks great but I will offer one suggestion. For the great outdoors it looks a bit complicated - I assume you like shunting and having alternative rolling stock at the ready. Remember, you have to bring all that stock out to the line and then back again later.
As a personal preference, i would go as Bill suggests and do away with the loop controllers completely.

Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC!

I like the track layout - you've obviously put a lot of thought into it and already anticipated (and fixed) a lot of the potential problems - I think it will give you a lot of fun and some interesting operation....

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

EgMaf

Registered
21 May 2018
France
Best answers
Thanks for your reply Bill. The blue part is single track because it is where the tracks cross a foot path. Also, the green loop functions as a reversing loop for future extensions. Those would come in from the lower right corner (by adding a right hand switch to the outer curve there). Going for a parallel track at the blue section would make that difficult, also with the electronics required for the reversing loops with the connecting tracks being too short.

I can run trains unattended as it is now. Any train that leaves the station from any track will eventually come back to that track without me flipping switches. I could even have the trains on the 3 platform tracks alternate unattended, but it would still always be just 1 train running at 1 time. Unless I go fully digitally automated :)

EgMaf

Registered
21 May 2018
France
Best answers
That looks great but I will offer one suggestion. For the great outdoors it looks a bit complicated - I assume you like shunting and having alternative rolling stock at the ready. Remember, you have to bring all that stock out to the line and then back again later.
As a personal preference, i would go as Bill suggests and do away with the loop controllers completely.

Thanks for your suggestion Alan. I'm indeed a bit concerned with the effort of putting all the rolling stock on & off the tracks every time. The first extension will therefor probably be to an secure (wooden shed) storage that the trains can just run in and out of...

By the way, the upper red dead end track and the dead end in the green loop are intended to be used for a shuttle train with a 3rd stop at the main station.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
A (secure) shed is a good idea. maybe best not to leave your best locos out there though! Also, electronics don't like the damp - a shed is not the best place for your DCC equipment.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your reply Bill. The blue part is single track because it is where the tracks cross a foot path. Also, the green loop functions as a reversing loop for future extensions. Those would come in from the lower right corner (by adding a right hand switch to the outer curve there). Going for a parallel track at the blue section would make that difficult, also with the electronics required for the reversing loops with the connecting tracks being too short.

I can run trains unattended as it is now. Any train that leaves the station from any track will eventually come back to that track without me flipping switches. I could even have the trains on the 3 platform tracks alternate unattended, but it would still always be just 1 train running at 1 time. Unless I go fully digitally automated :)
Sorry I didn't understand the complexity of your reversing system, I'm old school and if the train reversed it's direction back on it's self that meant changing voltage with a double throw double pole switch, I just know that after "o beer thirty the trains look better but don't run as well, LOL, nice looking layout, how far is it from one side to the other?

EgMaf

Registered
21 May 2018
France
Best answers
Sorry I didn't understand the complexity of your reversing system, I'm old school and if the train reversed it's direction back on it's self that meant changing voltage with a double throw double pole switch, I just know that after "o beer thirty the trains look better but don't run as well, LOL, nice looking layout, how far is it from one side to the other?
It's about 3 x 12 meters

EgMaf

Registered
21 May 2018
France
Best answers
A (secure) shed is a good idea. maybe best not to leave your best locos out there though! Also, electronics don't like the damp - a shed is not the best place for your DCC equipment.
Makes sense. Still, it's much easier to manually store some locos and leave the rest on tracks

EgMaf

Registered
21 May 2018
France
Best answers
well if I can ever get my back better looking for about 5m x 9m old layout was the back yard about 20' X 30' really miss it

Looking good!I read many people with back issues use raised beds for their trains...

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
My two-penneth:
1. First picture.. Make the siding a continuous curve. - Longer shuttle service, and will look / run better, I reckon?
2. Last picture.. Get rid of the 'wiggle' on the single road to the left. - It will cause you grief.
Also, consider if the three siding are *really* long enough? - You could make then longer, perhaps?

PhilP.

EgMaf

Registered
21 May 2018
France
Best answers
My two-penneth:
1. First picture.. Make the siding a continuous curve. - Longer shuttle service, and will look / run better, I reckon?
2. Last picture.. Get rid of the 'wiggle' on the single road to the left. - It will cause you grief.
Also, consider if the three siding are *really* long enough? - You could make then longer, perhaps?

PhilP.
Thanks for the feedback!
1. The shuttle will be 1 engine + 1 car max, and I have to leave some room for the plants the wife wants :)
2. Agreed, that wiggle has been removed as visible in the drawing.
If I'd make those 3 longer, I won't have room left for the station building... Not sure I'll use them much anyway.