North East Victoria Railway

Greetings all! I decided to create a thread for my photos seeing as my line is operational again.
A short introduction: I began building this line when i was a young teenager but inevitably due to my lack of experience and shoddy workmanship it didn't last very long at all until the long, curved trestle bridge fell over and i abandoned it. It took me just over three years to complete in between school and the ride on stuff although now I've completed school hopefully the extension and upgrading shouldn't take anywhere near as long!

I'll post some older photos in the next post (or the one after!)

Pardon the iphone photos as well ill get some good ones soon

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
No need to appologise for the iPhone pics, they look just fine to me. I do them all the time for my posts when I cannot be bothered to dig my Camera out. Only problem is I keep on clogging up my memory on the iPhone. It is in need of an update but too lazy to couple up to the PC to get all the pics off it!
JonD

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great. A nice restoration.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
As long as it's rolling, that's all you need :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Thanks guys! I have to build six points from scratch to finish this section of the layout before i can extend up the side of my driveway to the main mine. If i get that finished and I'm not sick of it i might get permission to descend down the hill but thats a whole nother kettle of fish!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
i might get permission to descend down the hill but thats a whole nother kettle of fish!
Go for it mate - we want to see the pictures. ( of the railway that is - not the negotiations!)

Had a visit from Melbourne Sparks today! heres some photos of our little running session.

the loop worked well but it was painfully clear i need to get onto scrachbuilding some larger radius points to make the loop curves bigger and the loop itself longer. if i put the junction in for the extension we could also do some bi-directional running (cos that never ends in disaster! :giggle:)
Steam tram goes on its maiden run with new batteries (while i was up at 2am in the morning fixing the 4-6-0 he was up at 2am in the morning fixing the steam motor!)

passing the goods shed

a 2-8-0 has been cut in on a loco transfer...

Quadriple header!

Many of the Baldwin steam trams ended up in industrial service after they were cast off from the Sydney tramway system. Here his loco poses for a shot with some wooden tippers

Melbournesparks also very kindly brought his track scrubber which meant i was able to run some other track powered stock once he left! Heres a shot of no.9 the saddletank on a short trip train

Next the saddle tank was rostered on the same run while no.9 was out of service

tippers shunted out of use in front of the goods shed

Thanks for the visit mate and I hope we catch up again soon!

thats all from me folks! I'm half way through my second newquida passenger coach bash so ill post photos of that soon

Reactions: 1 users

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Steam tram goes on its maiden run with new batteries (while i was up at 2am in the morning fixing the 4-6-0 he was up at 2am in the morning fixing the steam motor!)

2am is when all the best rollingstock maintenance gets done. Here's my photos from today!

IMG_8088small_zpsok7sodsk.jpg

The steam tram reaches some non tramway speeds!

IMG_8062small_zps0erqbamp.jpg

Patent resilient transition coupling! Having developed in isolation, the Eltham south Tramway's automatic couplings are a non standard height. Now that some of the rollingstock is actually venturing out into the big wide world some creative solutions are required for interoperation.

IMG_8047small_zpsha0zfsln.jpg

Just checking the span loading of the newly rebuilt bridge.

IMG_8046small_zpsynvfhigv.jpg

IMG_8041small_zpsfaz6qyaw.jpg

A very multicultural triple header of Baldwins from three continents.

IMG_8030small_zps0kputp2d.jpg

The EsT rotary scrubber car was pressed into service to clean the rails for track powered operation to resume.

IMG_8024small_zpskd8jsqwz.jpg

This was also the first test run of the newly constructed steam tram trailer, as yet still unpainted.

IMG_8023small_zps9luifwl4.jpg

IMG_8014small_zpsa7b45bxr.jpg

IMG_8009small_zps23gf9sor.jpg

Thanks for the visit mate and I hope we catch up again soon!

No worries, thanks for having me! Will have to manufacture some (more) suitable transition couplings.

Reactions: 2 users

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Photos are first class. I was told that my iPhone takes better pictures than my digital camera, plus it's easier to use with my Mac.

I like your layout and descriptions.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
No need to appologise for the iPhone pics, they look just fine to me. I do them all the time for my posts when I cannot be bothered to dig my Camera out. Only problem is I keep on clogging up my memory on the iPhone. It is in need of an update but too lazy to couple up to the PC to get all the pics off it!
JonD

Do you have iCloud turned on ? The photos on your phone will transfer automatically to your computer, if you have a Mac that is. No cables to hook up either.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Do you have iCloud turned on ? The photos on your phone will transfer automatically to your computer, if you have a Mac that is. No cables to hook up either.
I do but not for Pics as I would soon bust my 5Gb free allowance. But it is a hell of a learning curve trying to get it working on my Numbers Timetables. Pretty well given up on it now, after I spent £1200 on an iPad Pro so that I could stop turning on the iMac! Technology, Simple not on your nelly. My problem is after a life of Windows File Manager I think like that.
JonD

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I do but not for Pics as I would soon bust my 5Gb free allowance. But it is a hell of a learning curve trying to get it working on my Numbers Timetables. Pretty well given up on it now, after I spent £1200 on an iPad Pro so that I could stop turning on the iMac! Technology, Simple not on your nelly. My problem is after a life of Windows File Manager I think like that.
JonD

Jon, see the new post I started in the Coffee Lounge.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As this post 'banged and crashed' into view.. Was taken with the Scrubber car in post #8.. Like the 'well-worn' look to (what is) an operational maintenance vehicle.
:clap::clap::clap:

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
As this post 'banged and crashed' into view.. Was taken with the Scrubber car in post #8.. Like the 'well-worn' look to (what is) an operational maintenance vehicle.
:clap::clap::clap:

Don't be fooled by its decrepit appearance, it's a useful piece of equipment!

IMG_4090crop_zpsryzuewio.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
sure saves crawling around on your hands and knees! :D

I filled in the blank, I hope you don't mind. When I try crawling on my knees, I usually end up on my face.....:cry:

Another update, prototype aluminium bar point has failed miserably so back to the drawing board. Once i get some cash back post christmas ill invest in some brass rail and try again.

Last night I borrow my brothers camera and attempted some artsy shots...

Thats all from me folks! Have a merry christmas!

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
bit envious of the Bachmann saddle tank!