Hello From North London

Dave Elbourne

Registered
5 Mar 2016
London
Best answers
New(-ish) member alert ! from North London, well Manor House (Piccadilly Line) anyway. I've been on the forum for a few weeks and am currently working my way through the "kit-bash, scratch-build" section of the forum from the beginning as I don't want to ask the same silly questions that have already been answered. Greatly enjoying reading the help and support that the posters' offer, and I'm finding some great advice and references to some really useful suppliers and some truly inspirational modelling. After nearly a lifetime of serious railway modelling (45-years and counting) I'm still an inveterate indoor modeller and have arrived here from the Dark Side, so probably no garden railway empire for me I'm afraid, although "a watching the trains go by" loop does appeal when I have more than a small ex-council flat on Seven Sisters Road to play with. (The balcony outside looks tempting, if a little long and narrow, but my fellow tenants may object !) So I'm looking at a dual-gauge micro-layout at the moment. My (currently) only loco. is a Lima O-gauge based kit-bash into a small diesel-mechanical loco. along with a string of Big Big Train/Novo skip wagons that now need a serious detail make-over to compete with Regner and Slaters' versions of similar wagons. I do have a couple of IP locos to build (O & K MD1 and MD2) to complement these, but these will be modded with 12v motors and decent gearboxes to make them work properly on an indoor shunting-type micro-layout. My main focus now, is narrow-gauge, but my reason for joining this forum is my interest in the 3' and metre-gauge railways of the east Midlands ironstone mining area which has brought me to "see the light". I've started a bash on an LGB play-train wagon and have GRS brake van conversions either in-stock or under-way (1 is nearly finished and has been for 3-years!). When I've got over my in-built reticence to paying more than 200.00 pounds for a loco., I may well be the proud owner of a Corpet-Louvet 0-6-0T, although, in the meantime I do have a GRS resin Peckett (OTTO chassis) and an old-school GRS "GN type" 0-6-0T (Piko chassis) to build as a Padarn Railway-inspired 0-6-0T for "main-line" use with IP freelance panelled coaches or modded Annie & Clarabel as a workmans' train. So, plenty to be getting on with, although I'm not the fastest modeller in the world (I've been working on a dual-gauge display plinth for weeks now), I will get there eventually, and will have a fine collection of unique (I hope) models to look at and play with. My previous railway modelling incarnations include 00 "finescale" Scottish prototype exhibition layouts, Tri-ang collecting, exhibiting Lego trains (9V), USA HO (Burlington Northern and constituent companies) and HO FS (Italian State Railways). In the meantime I'm enjoying the forum as a modelling inspiration and would like to thank you all for truly great resource. Dave Elbourne.

Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave, welcome

I too, am an indoor G Scale modeller with the emphasis of modifying proprietary models. In my case very much based on the LGB Toytrain range. As you make your way through the 'kit-bash/scratch built' section, you will probably come across some of my modifications. I find it very satisfying to produce useful models from humble origins. Originally the main reason was cost, but once you start getting into swapping the wheels for metal ones, the costs can rise. However, you can still turn out unique models, for not a lot of outlay, if you are willing to be bold and ruthless with a razor saw and scalpel, and of course, a paint brush.

David

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Dave. If you are prepared to make the trek east to Forest Gate you are very welcome to attend my open day on May 7th. A couple of our little group live quite close to you, including one whose railway is on his balcony in Shoreditch and another who lives in the Barbican who doesn't even have a balcony but has a couple of locos that he runs on our lines. If you are interested just send me a message through the forum's 'conversations' feature and I will give you more info. I also happen to have a Peckett style loco that runs on an LGB chassis. The attached photo shows it at the engine shed which has sadly since fallen to bits.
P1010016-Erma-on-shed-(1024x768).jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1986

New(-ish) member alert ! from North London, well Manor House (Piccadilly Line) anyway.

Welcome to the Forum, there are many examples of G Scale layouts built in small spaces, so go for it!

As one of a few North London Boy's in this neck of the woods (me, Palmers Green), should you find your way in these parts, holler, you'd be made welcome.

Dave Elbourne

Registered
5 Mar 2016
London
Best answers
Hi Dave, welcome

I too, am an indoor G Scale modeller with the emphasis of modifying proprietary models. In my case very much based on the LGB Toytrain range. As you make your way through the 'kit-bash/scratch built' section, you will probably come across some of my modifications. I find it very satisfying to produce useful models from humble origins. Originally the main reason was cost, but once you start getting into swapping the wheels for metal ones, the costs can rise. However, you can still turn out unique models, for not a lot of outlay, if you are willing to be bold and ruthless with a razor saw and scalpel, and of course, a paint brush.

David
Thanks for the welcome David, and many congratulations on your award, it is well deserved. I actually prefer the Toytrain range as they look as though they are based on narrow-gauge prototypes and have had the rubber ruler applied a little less radically. The one I'm working on is the high-ended open, I've shortened the chassis to remove the brake platform and now have a very short-wheelbase chassis that kind of looks like types used on French tramways. I got inspired when I was looking for pictures of the UK Corpet-Louvet locos.(Nantes and Cambrai) and saw wagons like these in a lot of the French photos. They were obviously imported along with the locos. !;) I started in large-scale modelling by scratch-building NWNGR rolling stock from plasticard and found the discipline of having to make wagons look like they were assembled from individual parts, separate doors, bolts etc. quite satisfying, and I'm aiming for the same look in 45mm gauge. So I'm carving out the dropside doors, overlaying plank and strapping detail on the insides, adding as much of the brake gear as possible etc. etc. Out of interest I may scratchbuild a copy of the LGB open body to compare how long it takes versus the kitbash ! I have a feeling it may be quicker................! Funnily enough, it was your freight roster that I saw when I first entered the forum, so I knew I was in good company, and it took me a while to work out how you'd extended the bodies, then I saw your method. For the layout I have in mind, I'll only need a few wagons and a loco. in both 32mm and 45mm gauges, and I now have all the bits in stock, so it's just time and motivation now. I'll finish this wagon, then do the brake van conversion, then tackle the Peckett kit. That will fill my display plinth so I'll have to do the layout next ! Dave

Dave Elbourne

Registered
5 Mar 2016
London
Best answers
Welcome to the Forum, there are many examples of G Scale layouts built in small spaces, so go for it!

As one of a few North London Boy's in this neck of the woods (me, Palmers Green), should you find your way in these parts, holler, you'd be made welcome.
Thanks for the welcome Arthur, we lived in Palmers Green when we first moved to London 9 years ago so I know it well ! When I have something to show, I'll certainly do that ! Dave

Dave Elbourne

Registered
5 Mar 2016
London
Best answers
Welcome to the forum Dave. If you are prepared to make the trek east to Forest Gate you are very welcome to attend my open day on May 6th. A couple of our little group live quite close to you, including one whose railway is on his balcony in Shoreditch and another who lives in the Barbican who doesn't even have a balcony but has a couple of locos that he runs on our lines. If you are interested just send me a message through the forum's 'conversations' feature and I will give you more info. I also happen to have a Peckett style loco that runs on an LGB chassis. The attached photo shows it at the engine shed which has sadly since fallen to bits.
View attachment 208925
Thanks Philip, nowhere north or east is too far away ! I would love to accept your kind invitation and will message you when I've worked out how to do it. Like the Peckett !, I have the 0-4-0 kit that goes on the OTTO chassis. I have all the bits but need to finish the wagon bash first ! otherwise I get side-tracked and never finish anything ! Dave

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Philip, nowhere north or east is too far away ! I would love to accept your kind invitation and will message you when I've worked out how to do it. Like the Peckett !, I have the 0-4-0 kit that goes on the OTTO chassis. I have all the bits but need to finish the wagon bash first ! otherwise I get side-tracked and never finish anything ! Dave
I don't know if you get an email notification with the current system but I have sent you a message with the details of the open day. I look forward to meeting you!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Dave, and welcome to the forum! :)

Whether you model in, out (or indeed, shaking it all about...) I'm sure you'll pick up a lot here but also be able to contribute from your own experiences and knowledge.

Going a little further afield, if you ever feel like a Sunday drive out of town and up the A12 for an hour or so, there is a thriving calendar of GSS (G Scale Society) garden events throughout the summer up here with the "Norf Essix" boys (Chelmsford/Colchester/Braintree and up into Suffolk too....)

Jon.

Dave Elbourne

Registered
5 Mar 2016
London
Best answers
Hello Dave, and welcome to the forum! :)

Whether you model in, out (or indeed, shaking it all about...) I'm sure you'll pick up a lot here but also be able to contribute from your own experiences and knowledge.

Going a little further afield, if you ever feel like a Sunday drive out of town and up the A12 for an hour or so, there is a thriving calendar of GSS (G Scale Society) garden events throughout the summer up here with the "Norf Essix" boys (Chelmsford/Colchester/Braintree and up into Suffolk too....)

Jon.

Thank you Jon,

I've already found lots of interesting stuff, seen some fantastic modelling, some inspirational ideas and found a few kindred spirits too ! and summers in the country sound good ! I've got past the ' I like that, I'll buy it stage ', and now that I have a theme, I can work towards it without so many modelling distractions . . . . . never a good idea when you have empty pockets ! and no space, or even a garden ! I've always been more of a model maker than operator, and larger scales lend themselves to this with satisfyingly big models with high levels of detail. In 4mm you need 20 wagons to make an impressive train, in G scale, 4 or 5 have the same effect I've found. These forums are a great resource in every way, and I hope I am able to contribute something worthwhile,

Dave

Dave Elbourne

Registered
5 Mar 2016
London
Best answers
Thanks Nigel,

This is a great place to be, and I'm having a hard time not being distracted by too many great ideas ! There is some very impressive modelling going on around here !:speechless:

Dave

ken lawrence

Registered
6 Feb 2016
london
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave,

another North London newbie (Crouch End). At the planning stage (how to wriggle around a small mature garden). Like you, I'm via detailed modelling rather than evolving layouts. Are you considering a trip to Peterborough on 9th April for inspiration?

Regards

Ken

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
For all those GSC members old and new who are going to Peterborough for the 16mil NGA show, there is usually an informal meet-up at some suitable point and time so we can put faces to names..... the usual location is Alan's (Stockers) tradestand around 1pm - Alan, are you trading there this year?

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
No - sorry - Pendlebury is on hold at the moment - I am too busy with the day job.
. I dont think Mark (Muns) is going.
Who shall we descend upon. Mike and the GSS Promotional stand? 1 o'clock?

I'll bring the beers. Someone else can do the pies.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
No - sorry - Pendlebury is on hold at the moment - I am too busy with the day job.
. I dont think Mark (Muns) is going.
Who shall we descend upon. Mike and the GSS Promotional stand? 1 o'clock?

I'll bring the beers. Someone else can do the pies.

Sounds like a sort of plan-shaped plan to me!
Mike can bring the cakes.....
:rofl:

Jon.

Dave Elbourne

Registered
5 Mar 2016
London
Best answers
Hi Dave,

another North London newbie (Crouch End). At the planning stage (how to wriggle around a small mature garden). Like you, I'm via detailed modelling rather than evolving layouts. Are you considering a trip to Peterborough on 9th April for inspiration?

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken :), I'd love to go to Peterborough, but each year I promise myself, and then find either I don't have the funds to make a 'worthwhile' visit or I have work booked for that weekend (I'm self(under)-employed and income is very sporadic at the moment :() which I can't afford to turn down.
Back in the days when I did earn good money I did buy a fair amount of stuff, which I have now worked into a scenario based around industrial narrow-gauge. I've been inspired to add 45mm gauge to the 32mm gauge I was originally attracted to, by going on this forum!
I'm working my way through the postings on the kit-bash section and seeing lots of really good stuff !
Seeing some of the garden railway builds in the magazines it would appear that a pretty much virgin garden is what most people start with, so I can understand your difficulty with a mature garden ! Looking at great layouts like the Wetton Gooey and the Peckforton I can see just how much dedication is needed to just keep the trains running ! Hence a very small-scale start with a micro layout fits my scenario, my pocket and the time & space I have available. I would be happy to meet up some time for a chat, I,m car mobile so anytime anyplace anywhere is good for me :cool:

Regards, Dave

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Dave....

Dave Elbourne

Registered
5 Mar 2016
London
Best answers