new to site, hello, help

Murph

Registered
11 Jul 2019
Riverside CA
Best answers
New here, hello from So Cal.
Is there a "For sake" forum or spot to list items that can be sold?
I'm getting old and wish not to leave the burden of my G scale train and track to my wife and kids when I pass.
Have/had a back yard giant dog bone set up. All LGB track made from Germany not the china new cra.
Have 230? of straight 18000 curve and 16000 curve Bridgework 10amp power pack, Bachmann Spectrum 2-6 mogul ect, ect.
Any advise on where to sell?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum!
There is a 'Sales' section, though it takes a little effort to list items, and there are a few rules.

Why not have a mooch round the site for a while? - That way you will get to know us a little better. :)

Oh, it might be nice to have a name we can use, rather than 'X UP DS'?

PhilP.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC - as you may have already noticed, we have quite a few US members - although the forum is based and run from the UK.

I'm sure some of the US members will be along soon to give some advice on the best ways of selling over there.
As Phil says, it's always nice to have a name to call people by - even if just a first name or even a nickname, just feels less odd than using a forum handle - but maybe that's because most of us are getting old.... ;)

Jon.

Murph

Registered
11 Jul 2019
Riverside CA
Best answers
My name is Jim Murphy, I will update site name shortly.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jim!

No need to change your forum name, it's fine as it is - but it's just nice to be able to address you as Jim when we answer any questions. :)

Jon.

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Howdy, Jim! I'm Andrew from Nevada. I have found that the best way to go about selling things is Ebay. Listings through classified ads,whether they're on Craigslist,or print media ,can often be tedious,and even a little dangerous. Not to mention all the flakes that promise to meet with you ,and never show up.
There are various ways to sell things,but ,frankly,Ebay is just about the best, and safest, way to go.Yes, there are sellers fees on Ebay, and you also have to have a Paypal Account,but trust me, you'll also be getting national,and even global exposure(of course you must be willing to sell internationally,something I don't recommend) for the items you're selling.
It also means that you'll have to do a little work and research, to make sure that you don't undercharge, or grossly overcharge, for shipping the items to the buyers. It's not too hard to do.
Say that you have a Bachmann G Scale Jackson Sharp passenger car that you want to sell. I generally charge a flat fee of $18.00 to ship the car, which is in addition to the price that the buyer pays. More for larger items, and less, sometimes much less, for small items. It all depends on the size, and weight, of the item. Of course,I've been buying and selling on Ebay since 1999, so you might say that I have some experience selling there.
It's up to you, but for myself, Ebay is the way to go.
Good luck!
Andrew

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Why sell it....USE IT until you pass....others will be able to use it....but you are the one that needs it the most as you age....Your hobby gives value to your remaining days...months...years...WHY GIVE UP...life can still be great, if you use it wisely....
Fred Mills

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Murph....

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I agree about eBay being the best channel for selling these kind of goods. If you are concerned about burdening the wife you could do all the paperwork beforehand so all they have to do is "press the button". By which I mean set up eBay/PayPal accounts (your kids may already have one?), divide the collection into lots, write up the descriptions and take the photos, with a suggested starting price. That's what I intend to do when the time approaches while I'm still compus mentis enough to play with trains.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Whatever way you look at self selling surplus Trains via EBay or even this Forum it is a time consuming excersize. Do you really want to be doing all that if your twilight years rather than enjoying those Trains, after all you have worked a lifetime to be able to afford and buy them? My thoughts may be to get to know a reputable dealer, one that would but the lot in one hit and let him do his stuff come the dreaded day. So long as the family know who to deal with. Yes prices will be lower, but still so much easier than that selling oneself route and the whole excersize is to make things easier for the family surely?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
My name is Jim Murphy, I will update site name shortly.
Yeah, we get really worried about names sometimes, which is why I'm called Rhino :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

.............. in polite company, that is. Some people have been known to use other names .............................................. :lipssealed::lipssealed:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
While I aggree with marketing a collection via Ebay there is always a risk that there isn't a sufficient market to support the "fair" price you could be looking for for some items.

A remedy for this might be to use an established dealer to market your collection on a "commision sale" basis. You agree with the dealer the market price you want for individual items and you pay them a percentage of the realised value, upon completion of the sale of an item, + any local taxes that could be levied on the commission amount. It is usual to give your chosen seller some leeway on pricing to help close a sale. If using this method ensure whoever holds the items has them in a secure premesis and that their insurance will cover your property while it is in their care.

I have used this method successfully a number of times when trading out model railway items, particulary of higher value - locos, rolling stock, track and trackside accessories and buildings. Usually costs about the same as using Ebay with PayPal fees or an auction house, without the hit of a buyer's premium. Max

Last edited:

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag

Extract from Garden Railways Magazine 2/2019
They are on the market since several years.
And are US.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, we get really worried about names sometimes, which is why I'm called Rhino :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

.............. in polite company, that is. Some people have been known to use other names .............................................. :lipssealed::lipssealed:
Why, isn't rhinochugger bad enough? :)

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jim,welcome aboad.Think long and hard before thinking of selling up,I had a spin around your railroad and if it all comes up and those trackbeds become empty you will sit out there in your back yard and think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I wish I could run a train again,if it was me I would wait until you can`t do it anymore for health reasons and then consider the situation,the options for selling as said in previous posts will still be there but once it`s gone it`s gone!!!:cry:;);)