RR Buttes

Registered
28 Feb 2022
Pennington County, South Dakota
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hello everyone, I'm new to the hobby I have done tons of research and am getting track started. Still heavy frost in the ground. Right at this moment don't have any pictures. I do have a direction. Track power, building myself with a 15A CNC stepper driver and Maxxtronic MXA089 DC motor speed controller. Fused both legs to 10A, may fuse lower after testing is completed. Engine is a Piko 38210 Mogul, Smoke only for now. Using LGB and USA TRAINS track with rail joiners with jumper wires for now. Buying used track at the moment, however have found already that new track is not really that much more expensive if you find the right supplier.
Decided on a 1920s ish theme. Modeling a small livestock shipping yard and a grain elevator. Drawings only for now. Raising my rail bed about 14" above lowest elevation of 4 foot radius curve. It will be about 4" inches above elevation at the higher end. Decided to use large stone to make a wide base for the radius ends, will back fill with limestone pit run; magnesium chloride added and tamp in. This is all laid over a membrane, with a stone base for drainage. Track is going to be laid with ballast once satisfied with my compaction. Bought one Bachmann livestock car to compare scale wise with the Piko engine, not sure what I think of it yet.
I have been whittling some figures, in these cold short days. A Fireman for the engine. A conductor who at this point is just smoking a cigar waiting for Admin to order his caboose. The plastic Piko engineer is getting fired, although his replacement isn't here yet. There is a guy on here that deserves the credit for my direction. He made me stop to think about how I want it to look, the era, track power or DCC. What I wanted it to do, remote or panel operation. Thanks Greg E.
Getting started is the exciting part.
Mike

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard.
Where in SD are you, I got kin in Sioux City.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Hello everyone, I'm new to the hobby I have done tons of research and am getting track started. Still heavy frost in the ground. Right at this moment don't have any pictures. I do have a direction. Track power, building myself with a 15A CNC stepper driver and Maxxtronic MXA089 DC motor speed controller. Fused both legs to 10A, may fuse lower after testing is completed. Engine is a Piko 38210 Mogul, Smoke only for now. Using LGB and USA TRAINS track with rail joiners with jumper wires for now. Buying used track at the moment, however have found already that new track is not really that much more expensive if you find the right supplier.
Decided on a 1920s ish theme. Modeling a small livestock shipping yard and a grain elevator. Drawings only for now. Raising my rail bed about 14" above lowest elevation of 4 foot radius curve. It will be about 4" inches above elevation at the higher end. Decided to use large stone to make a wide base for the radius ends, will back fill with limestone pit run; magnesium chloride added and tamp in. This is all laid over a membrane, with a stone base for drainage. Track is going to be laid with ballast once satisfied with my compaction. Bought one Bachmann livestock car to compare scale wise with the Piko engine, not sure what I think of it yet.
I have been whittling some figures, in these cold short days. A Fireman for the engine. A conductor who at this point is just smoking a cigar waiting for Admin to order his caboose. The plastic Piko engineer is getting fired, although his replacement isn't here yet. There is a guy on here that deserves the credit for my direction. He made me stop to think about how I want it to look, the era, track power or DCC. What I wanted it to do, remote or panel operation. Thanks Greg E.
Getting started is the exciting part.
Mike
Welcome to the forum, Mike. It looks like you know exactly what you want, but don't be afraid to change your ideas over time. The best thing to do is get something down and running to prove your plans will work.
Just beware of the awful jokes!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, and welcome, Paul has already warned you about the dire jokes (and he is correct), we like lots of photos so we know what you are up to, and if you do get stuck, somebody here normally has the answer, and often it is the correct answer ;)

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Gavin, I am near Rapid City.
Been there, done that.... twice.
Wall Drug, and Mt Rushmore are in the same county. Pennington County was the site of my first driving experience 'on the wrong side of the road', we had spent the best part of the day driving across the State, when pulling away from Wall, my brother in law, who was driving, pulled over to the side of the on ramp to I-90, and said he was beat, and 'Gavin can drive'..... talk about getting thrown in the deep end. Took a (very) short time to adjust to the wrong side steering wheel, 5 minutes later I'm cruising at 85 mph, elbow on the window sill, overtaking a massive 18 wheeler who was travelling not much slower. We were based at Whitewood for a few days while we did Mt Rushmore, Deadwood/Lead and the 1880 train and the rest of the Black Hills. Wonderfull time, went back again the following year during Bike Week.... an experience in itself.

RR Buttes

Registered
28 Feb 2022
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Been there, done that.... twice.
Wall Drug, and Mt Rushmore are in the same county. Pennington County was the site of my first driving experience 'on the wrong side of the road', we had spent the best part of the day driving across the State, when pulling away from Wall, my brother in law, who was driving, pulled over to the side of the on ramp to I-90, and said he was beat, and 'Gavin can drive'..... talk about getting thrown in the deep end. Took a (very) short time to adjust to the wrong side steering wheel, 5 minutes later I'm cruising at 85 mph, elbow on the window sill, overtaking a massive 18 wheeler who was travelling not much slower. We were based at Whitewood for a few days while we did Mt Rushmore, Deadwood/Lead and the 1880 train and the rest of the Black Hills. Wonderfull time, went back again the following year during Bike Week.... an experience in itself.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it, I don't take for granted living here. I have been here my entire life, family has farmed and ranched here since before statehood was established. Before the trains came, my great Grand-Dad hauled freight with ox teams from Ft Pierre to Deadwood. My Grand-Dad built rails as a young man and went back to farming and ranching. He lived to be 100. Perhaps someday, I may get to visit New Zealand. Glad to meet you Gavin
Mike

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Outdoors one should use rail clamps. Rail joiners just do not last with the changing seasons (read temperatures with expansion and contraction of metal ). Greg has great info on his site for avoiding potential problems long term. Also download this old LGB book with this search LGB 559 pdf

RR Buttes

Registered
28 Feb 2022
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Outdoors one should use rail clamps. Rail joiners just do not last with the changing seasons (read temperatures with expansion and contraction of metal ). Greg has great info on his site for avoiding potential problems long term. Also download this old LGB book with this search LGB 559 pdf
Thanks for the information Dan. As with everyone starting out, have been finding that some ideas, such as joiners with jumper wires may in long term become a maintenance disaster. Like most, I learn something new every day and appreciate you guys looking out for us new guys. Ideas of where to locate information definitely helps! The internet is a BIG place...
Mike

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

RR Buttes

Registered
28 Feb 2022
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like cooling fins on the cylinders... but wouldn't they get cold from the expanding air?
Was on the 7900ft motor barn working on LHD loaders a few times it is amazingly hot at that level. However I don't believe that engine worked that deep. Deepest I was ever at was the 8100. You sweat just standing. It cools off obviously as you get back up to the 4800 level. Wish I could have seen it run, definitely long before my time.
Mike

Last edited:

RR Buttes

Registered
28 Feb 2022
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

RR Buttes

Registered
28 Feb 2022
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Fired the plastic Engineer. Picture of the new crew for the 218 Engineer, Fireman and conductor. Have to finish up some detail on faces and hands, and paint.
Tested the power control unit that I built. Smooth starts, fine speed control. Direction control works good just a DPDT toggle switch. The fan runs in the control box so heat should never be an issue. Per my first post I have decided that 10 amp fuses probably are to large. Swapping them to 7.5 amp. My amp meter on the box read only 2 amp at @ 30% throttle, 1 car on the flat. I am happy with it... Had to share with someone who might appreciate it.
My wife said "oh that's cute Hon"...
Also apologies to moderator if the jpg files are too large, first time posting
Mike

Attachments

• 20220308_222931.jpg
    20220308_222931.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220308_235638.jpg
    20220308_235638.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 0

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the pictures Gavin. I sure am glad the poisonous reptiles we have here can warn you first. Unlike over in New Zealand and Austrailia where nearly everything is poisonous.
Mike
We do NOT have snakes in New Zealand.

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I am near Rapid City.
Visited a few years ago, lovely place. Great food at the old fire house, a President on every corner, and a Leyland/Austin/Jaguar/MG/Triumph garage in town too.