New Roundhouse

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
tac said:
Not Narrow Gauge - the London Transport Panniers were standard gauge - Aster made one in Gauge 1 in the later bright red LT colour scheme - they can still be found used for around £1800 or so.

tac
http://www.ovgrs.otg/ < Link To www.ovgrs.otg
RLGSS Member

I don't think it's the fact that the pannier is standard gauge that would put Roundhouse off, but if you look at their models, they all use solid wheels and, as a result are mostly outside framed.

However, like Paul (minimans) I think the LT version of the pannier is quite smart, and at least you wouldn't have to put up with GWR livery :happy::happy: but it's only the likes of Aster who'd make models like that.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
railwayman198 said:
K1 would be great, though being so complex I guess it would be well over £2k for quite a small loco.

I'm also with tac on the 'bring back the Forney' campaign...

When Accucraft produced the NG16 garratt, Roundhouse recon'd it would cost them 3 times as much to produce the same model. Also Locobox announced a K1 about 2 years ago!

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
funandtrains said:
Rhinochugger said:
I don't think it's the fact that the pannier is standard gauge that would put Roundhouse off, but if you look at their models, they all use solid wheels and, as a result are mostly outside framed.

Not true the Roundhouse higher end models have cast spoked wheels true to prototype only the freelance models and those with small diameter drivers like the Fowler have solid wheels.

Roundhouse and Accucraft prefer outside frame models as they can sell one model which is gauge adjustable to get the largest market without the expense of 2 different chassis to make.

Gauge adjustable also alows me to run on both 32mm and 45mm track - depends on which garden railway group i'm visiting at the time.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
tac

I understand all the nuances of scale and gauge, I just don't think it's in Roundhouse's bag

But as far as panniers go, the LT ones look very OK

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
funandtrains said:
Not true the Roundhouse higher end models have cast spoked wheels true to prototype only the freelance models and those with small diameter drivers like the Fowler have solid wheels.

Snip<

I don't think you're quite right there Steve, older models such as Argyll and the Lynton tank had spoked wheels, but the new Atlantic does not - nor does my VoR (only about 3 years old soon), a shame I think, as you can see the solid wheels despite the outside frames.

NHN

edit - not sure about 24 - the one that came here has spoked wheels, but it's an older non sprung one.

E

Elmtree Line

55.5 said:
I am a Roundhouse fan. I once had a Lady Anne wich did everthing it said on the tin!
Trouble is, As everyone on the old Forum said, was like looking after a toddler rather than the whole Kindergarden.
They should bring out a Tornado which will run on R1 and sell at less than a grand!!!!!
Any Pete Watermans out there with listening rather than sending equipment???????????????

personally i'd much rather enjoy driving one steam train than watching 5 lumps of plastic go round. personal choice really. i have several lumps of plastic, but they don't give me anywhere near as much enjoyment as the steamys. I like the hands on experience, not the watching experience. If i could afford it Tornado on G1, coal fired would be heaven! i dont think i'd want to see such a beast trying to go round R1 curves, yuck.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Doug said:
railwayman198 said:
K1 would be great, though being so complex I guess it would be well over £2k for quite a small loco.

I'm also with tac on the 'bring back the Forney' campaign...

When Accucraft produced the NG16 garratt, Roundhouse recon'd it would cost them 3 times as much to produce the same model. Also Locobox announced a K1 about 2 years ago!
This must be Roundhouse's major problem...the fact that detailed models can be produced much cheaper in China than in Doncaster. They therefore need to choose their prototypes very carefully to match their building techniques and stock components. They couldn't have done that with the NG16 which would have required totally new tooling and high levels of detail.

On the otherhand, the K1 is different and much more suited to Doncaster manufacturing techniques. They could use their existing frames, valve gear, smokebox, dome, lubricator, gas tank, burner. The only new stuff is the boiler and the platework, both of which they do well and economically. I know all this because that's exactly what we did.

Yes, the K1 would be more expensive...I'm guessing about £2500 including radio control. But judging by the interest in my K1, it would be very popular.

[SIZE=3 font=calibri editorid="ctl01_contentplaceholder1_ctl01_body"][canaddcustomcolors="true"][stripabsoluteimagespaths="false"][commoninternalparameters="u2tpblbhdggsrmfsc2usmcxmmll2vw1ga1eyoxvksep2ykhndljxunbkrzl5tdfocmfxnxpmmfjswm1gmwjiuxlnreeythc9pq=="]Tac, there is an early video of my K1 on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJrL1DbDrD0 . Then I repainted and lined it as per the prototype, took it to the Great Southern SteamUp in Victoria but then Qantas managed to crush the cab on the way back. It is still in the works being repaired. Perhaps someone who attended the Great Southern Steam Up has a photo of the K1 paited and lined.[/SIZE]

As far as the Locobox K1 is concerned, it was announced a couple of years ago but, when I enquired, there was a very long delivery lead time and it seemed unlikely that they would be produced in any numbers, if at all.

Peter

steveciambrone

trains, boats, planes
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
I vote for a K1 garrett also, even a simple one could be done with the basic series locos like a Millie chassis.

Steve

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I found a photo of my K1, repainted and lined at the Great Southern SteamUp.

Peter

c57bfb587ab9473daa01cb162d693bbe.jpg

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
oberinntalbahn said:
Moonraker said:
I found a photo of my K1, repainted and lined at the Great Southern SteamUp.
Peter, that is a truly inspirational piece of model engineering, I wish I was half as talented :admire:

I have to ask, do you originally hail from deepest darkest Wiltshire?

I do indeed. From Devizes. My parents had a shop in Devizes market place so the pub on my railway naturally sells Wadworths ales. I have built a 00 gauge model of Devizes railway station and have a collection of information on the GWR Devizes branch. Lots of Wiltshire nostalgia around here.

Peter

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Aster doesn't have to worry about Chinese competition, fair enough.

Do you think LGB thought that too?

Anyway, moving swiftly on- that was a rhetorical question, by the way- I don't think we're going to see anything particuarly exciting. Probably a rehash of one of the other older models up to Atlantic's detail levels.

taperpin

Registered
12 Dec 2009
Best answers
Steve,
I would beg to differ , the Kiso Forest 0-4-2T is aquite different and costlier model to produce than the Accucraft WD was... drafted meths fired boiler with axle pump, pistons with rulon rings in a proper cylinder /ported and passaged correctly, these few points alone probably double the manufacturing cost. I have a fairly good handle on production costings in our little locos having many years practise at batch building locos .in fair numbers.if you dont get the costs right for your target market youre history!

Gordon.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
taperpin said:
Steve,
I would beg to differ , the Kiso Forest 0-4-2T is aquite different and costlier model to produce than the Accucraft WD was... drafted meths fired boiler <full stop>

One can only hope that RH et al would go back to some meths fired locos again? Granted, they have not had one in nearly two decades.....

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Elmtree Line said:
Well, its approaching that time of the year again, Roundhouse are set to announce another brand new steam engine this year, and as in the past few years it will be another scaled down model of a UK narrow gauge engine.

2009 saw a limited edition run of "Jack" (due to be produced this summer)
And the end of "Charles", "Linda" and "Blanche"

So what do YOU think will be the new engine for 2010 ????

Well I'm sorry to see nobody else joined in my southwold idea . I think they are handsome engines which would fit in a variety of settings.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Another sothwold picture.

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
I seem to remember the Brandbright catalogue some years ago listed a proposed "Adnams" tank loco, based on Southwold practice, but this seems to have been abandoned.
Nice if Roundhouse took it on.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It would be perfick for 45mm as well :D