New Regner Live Steam Heisler

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I know the picture (and model) were done for marketing (I asume).. But it does immediately say to me "German Engineering!"

It might be distortion in the lens/camera, but I find the slightly 'skew' off/on switch annoying? :think: :rolleyes::shake:

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I know the picture (and model) were done for marketing (I asume).. But it does immediately say to me "German Engineering!"

It might be distortion in the lens/camera, but I find the slightly 'skew' off/on switch annoying? :think: :rolleyes::shake:

Haha that made me go back and have another look at the picture. Yes to me is does "jar" somewhat.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag

Yes, I see things like that immediately from working with graphics most my life. The switch could have been straighter for the promo shot.
It must have been caused by the Chinese screwdriver the German engineers used. :D
A very easy fix though so no factory recall necessary! :giggle:

Last edited:

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I see things like that immediately from working with graphics most my life. The switch could have been straighter for the promo shot.
It must have been caused by the Chinese screwdriver the German engineers used. :D
A very easy fix though so no factory recall necessary! :giggle:

Ah yes those pesky Chinese screwdrivers

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
now you are suggesting that I should either not read posts, or refrain from asking clarification about a person I don't know?
Tac, that was dry english humor. A post is a post, whether argumentative or just asking for clarification.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

How I wish you hadn't spotted that, and worse mentioned it! I think it must be the camera angle or something causing an optical illusion. No- would leave it like that.... unless it for clearance reasons, what sits on top?

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I happen to like it. The Catatonk/Chaney 14 ton is rare as hen's teeth and the Accucraft is to large and nearly $1000 more if you can find one. I dont mind the more basic detail as I am a bit ham fisted so less to get broken when handling or transporting to a steam up. If things fall into place, or I sell my Pearse Earl and rolling stock, I plan to order one of them(probably the kit version when it comes available). Would have I like to see it at a bit lower price point, yes but that goes for many models. Look at what a new build Roundhouse costs after exchange rate for the USA. Its right up there and I am only talking about models such as Lady Anne. I do plan to add the light, steam whistle and stack but not the cow catcher. The supplied footboard style pilot is just fine. The smaller size will look good with my LGB Disconnects that I have on hand already. I also look at the lack of full Stephenson valve motion as less stuff to wear out and get sloppy with lots of running. Those little wigglers will do just fine with loads of run time. Now we need someone with a 3d printer to develope a 2 piece gear box to protect the gears in the truck and allow them to run in grease, just as on the real Heislers. I can envision a 2 piece design, small zip tie around the shaft housing at the top, and snap or small screws around the big axle gear. slotted to fit over the axle with covers to close in the slots. Excellent addition to the Regner line IMHO, hats off to Jay Kovac for seeing this first project with Regner thru. I hope it leads to more logging models that are all metal and not mostly wood like the Henry body is, or the Shay/Climax were. Makes them a tad fragile. Mike the Aspie

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I happen to like it. The Catatonk/Chaney 14 ton is rare as hen's teeth and the Accucraft is to large and nearly $1000 more if you can find one. I dont mind the more basic detail as I am a bit ham fisted so less to get broken when handling or transporting to a steam up. If things fall into place, or I sell my Pearse Earl and rolling stock, I plan to order one of them(probably the kit version when it comes available). Would have I like to see it at a bit lower price point, yes but that goes for many models. Look at what a new build Roundhouse costs after exchange rate for the USA. Its right up there and I am only talking about models such as Lady Anne. I do plan to add the light, steam whistle and stack but not the cow catcher. The supplied footboard style pilot is just fine. The smaller size will look good with my LGB Disconnects that I have on hand already. I also look at the lack of full Stephenson valve motion as less stuff to wear out and get sloppy with lots of running. Those little wigglers will do just fine with loads of run time. Now we need someone with a 3d printer to develope a 2 piece gear box to protect the gears in the truck and allow them to run in grease, just as on the real Heislers. I can envision a 2 piece design, small zip tie around the shaft housing at the top, and snap or small screws around the big axle gear. slotted to fit over the axle with covers to close in the slots. Excellent addition to the Regner line IMHO, hats off to Jay Kovac for seeing this first project with Regner thru. I hope it leads to more logging models that are all metal and not mostly wood like the Henry body is, or the Shay/Climax were. Makes them a tad fragile. Mike the Aspie
With regard to those Gear Box Covers, I imagine any half decent Model Engineer (if you know one) with a Lathe or Milling Machine could knock you a couple up pretty easily.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Yeah it is a little jarring BUT to be fair , it would probably be an after market RC add-on done by someone just to get it up and running and not as it would come from the factory.. so we can be a little forgiving.... they could have painted the wood or covered it in coal as well but again I bet it was a short time to get it together...

Here's a vid of the Accucraft version showing details etc..and the addition of RC whistle and blow down.

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
It does, however, make you wonder why Regner didn't think of it. The roundhouse diesels are the same - a huge worm gear and pinion open to the elefunts in a garden environment... After running around a pal's track last year it took more than a few minutes to clean off the open gearing on my 'Harlech Castle' ere I put it away...

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
My own railway is raised to waist height, so unless I choose to run thru some leaves on the rail, not much chance of crud getting into the open gearing. But some simple plastic gear cases over the axle and line shaft gear would be much better decision as not everybody runs on a raised line. While we cannot expect Regner/TTD to come up with everything, here is a chance for the aftermarket to provide said covers at a nominal fee.

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
I own many Regner engines and run a logging line. I'm excited to see them produce an American logging engine. No one is really filling that void today. Roundhouse will prob never. It's hard enough getting RH to produce an American engine let alone a geared. I'm lucky to own one of their Forneys but too bad they don't make more. Accucraft has produced geared engines to an extent but good luck finding parts let alone one in stock. I have the Regner Climax and although it might not be 100% accucrate model, it's still a great runner and has lots of potential. People forget, in logging, anything goes. As Hartland Locomotives always said about their Big John: somewhere in the woods an engine like that could have existed.
I have always wanted the Catatonk Heisler but as Jay mentioned only 25 made. Good luck getting one. I think the Regner Heisler is pretty close. I have my order in and can't wait to add it to my logging line. I'm just happy to see someone trying to produce something for those of that operate a logging line. It will fit in well with my Lumberjack, Otto, Konrad and Climax. I found things that aren't pleasing to my eye I just add or take away to improve it. Like the cow catcher. That will prob go but to me that's minor. Same for the switch.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
The cow catcher is an option you have to buy seperately Shawn, as is the light and diamond smoke stack. Normal Regner style with the options being seperate items to purchase. Just like Roundhouse as well. I can only imagine what a geared engine from Roundhouse would be like. Talk about taking it to the next level! Regner is the next best thing. I went with a Mamod Brunel MK3 with cladding and canopy since I cannot get a Willi from Regner anymore. If contract bonus or profit sharing is good enough, I might spring for a Regner Chaloner while I can still get one. I have a thing for the vertical boiler engines, wish I could have gotten one of the Regner Ottos, but they went fast and were gone before I barely knew they were out. I had a Konrad, the horizontal boiler with the upright cylinder just didnt look right. Guess I love my trams/DeWinton types. Cant wait to see your Heisler videos on your line Shawn!

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
The cow catcher is an option you have to buy seperately Shawn, as is the light and diamond smoke stack. Normal Regner style with the options being seperate items to purchase. Just like Roundhouse as well. I can only imagine what a geared engine from Roundhouse would be like. Talk about taking it to the next level! Regner is the next best thing. I went with a Mamod Brunel MK3 with cladding and canopy since I cannot get a Willi from Regner anymore. If contract bonus or profit sharing is good enough, I might spring for a Regner Chaloner while I can still get one. I have a thing for the vertical boiler engines, wish I could have gotten one of the Regner Ottos, but they went fast and were gone before I barely knew they were out. I had a Konrad, the horizontal boiler with the upright cylinder just didnt look right. Guess I love my trams/DeWinton types. Cant wait to see your Heisler videos on your line Shawn!
Speaking with Jay it sounds like there are two options. One with straight stack or the one with Balloon that has the cow catcher. The light is the optional piece I believe. I'll have to double check with him.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
cool, I like the balloon stack but not the cow catcher. Just prefer the foot board pilot myself. The video link of the model running on the Regner stand in Germany is great, sounds and looks like it will be a great running. Cant wait to see what you and others do with the detailing that really brings out logging modeling.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I own many Regner engines and run a logging line. I'm excited to see them produce an American logging engine. No one is really filling that void today. Roundhouse will prob never. It's hard enough getting RH to produce an American engine let alone a geared. I'm lucky to own one of their Forneys but too bad they don't make more. Accucraft has produced geared engines to an extent but good luck finding parts let alone one in stock. I have the Regner Climax and although it might not be 100% accucrate model, it's still a great runner and has lots of potential. People forget, in logging, anything goes. As Hartland Locomotives always said about their Big John: somewhere in the woods an engine like that could have existed.
I have always wanted the Catatonk Heisler but as Jay mentioned only 25 made. Good luck getting one. I think the Regner Heisler is pretty close. I have my order in and can't wait to add it to my logging line. I'm just happy to see someone trying to produce something for those of that operate a logging line. It will fit in well with my Lumberjack, Otto, Konrad and Climax. I found things that aren't pleasing to my eye I just add or take away to improve it. Like the cow catcher. That will prob go but to me that's minor. Same for the switch.
If you can get one the Chassis used in many of the Peter Angus Locomotives is a lovely Geared Machine. I have 3 of his Steam Trams and the chassis would make a great if expensive basis for a nice slow logging Loco. Back in the day some used to convert early Mamod Waggler Piston Locomotives to a sort of Steam Motor and make interesting slow controllable geared Locomotives.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Speaking with Jay it sounds like there are two options. One with straight stack or the one with Balloon that has the cow catcher. The light is the optional piece I believe. I'll have to double check with him.

Artful Dodger and I have both posted that the balloon stack, lights and cow-catcher are 'you-pay' optional parts, as detailed in Jay's advert as well as the original Regner advert.

Quote -

OPTIONAL PARTS
Headlamp
Diamond stack
Brass pilot

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
And thats normal for Regner. For those that have never looked thru the whole German Regner catalog, they have a wide array of bits and bobs for live steam. Really nice stuff to. I ended up getting a Mamod Brunel with all the extras this week. Once contract bonus or springs profit sharing bonus arrives, I will see if I can get Regner's Chaloner or if a second hand Willi or Otto pops up. Mike

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you do ANYTHING with live steam modelling, the Regner catalogue with its enormous range of steam associated parts is a must. Of real interest to any modeller of a larger prototype is the working steam-driven water feed pump! You COULD buy the Stuart-Turner kit of parts and build your own for around £200, but that certainly requires a great deal of real model engineering skills, not least of which the use of a suitable lathe and mill. The Regner version, at around eu900 might be the way around it.

Steamrocks

Registered
20 Nov 2019
Denver, NC. USA
Best answers
Oh dear me ! That one does not tick any of the usual boxes at all. Weirdly proportioned, badly detailed, lack of apparent prototype origin and somewhat toylike. And I loves my geared locos. I'll be looking out for a used Accy then. Sorry. Max
Maxi: If you do not like the looks (it IS similar to the first Heisler ever built, but many people have not seen that one-first Shay looked crude, too) or price, see the articles in USA Steam in the Garden on constructing your own. No machining, no silver solder, you can build your superstructure to suit, and about 1/2 the price. Uses highly reliable Roundhouse boiler system and uses a great running PM Research oscillator. The Regner also appears to be an oscillator.