Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Just to give a heads up about the recently announced Regner Heisler available ready to run or in kit form from: Jason Kovac at 'The Train Department'.
"The Train Department is pleased to announce the first joint project with Regner and The Train Department. It has been a project in development since 2018 and happy to report it is now in stock."
The Train Department - Your source for Regner Easy Line Locomotives

RegnerHeisler.jpg

Last edited:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
tac. Yes, I thought without me quoting prices, it would be up to the inquirer to find the devil in the details.
Another question is scale. I figure maybe 1:22.5 or thereabouts? Perhaps it is open to interpretation.
The Accucraft one does seem to have more thingamajig bits underneath too but some people may prefer a Regner build.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Garden Railways in Bishops Stortford are Regner dealer, bit closer to home

Gerald

Registered
11 Feb 2011
Best answers
Country flag

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Soooooooooooooooo, almost eu2200 for a kit of a locomotive with no actual propotype [unlike the Accucraft version] and oscillating cylinders [unlike the Accucraft version], which you then have to built [unlike the Accucraft version].

Good luck with that one.

What's the cost of the Accucraft version by comparison?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What's the cost of the Accucraft version by comparison?

$3,150 in 2016 is all I can find, but 'Google-Fu' (and the Internet) is not good.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You pay your money and makes your choice. Even if it's not in any way an accurate model of anything, I'm sure there's folk out there who would enjoy it.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It is a little like comparing Mamod and Roundhouse.. :think::giggle::giggle:

It does have one advantage over the Accucraft offering.. Availability! :nerd:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
It does have one advantage over the Accucraft offering.. Availability! :nerd:
It is a little like comparing Mamod and Roundhouse

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear me ! That one does not tick any of the usual boxes at all. Weirdly proportioned, badly detailed, lack of apparent prototype origin and somewhat toylike. And I loves my geared locos. I'll be looking out for a used Accy then. Sorry. Max

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well I rather liked it, runs superbly slowly as should all Geared Drive Locomotives. Would make an ideal controllable Loco to do some Goods Trains with doing some controlled Shunting along the way. Cow Catcher does no favours, as for the Light well one of them would be easy enough to make. Though the Chimney would not be so easily knocked up on my Small Lathe so a simple one would do.

I am rather worried about the rather spindly Bevel Gears to the Axles. Time Iguess would tell about these.

still not in the Market for any more Live Steam, but ifI were would like the challenge of a new kit to build.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
IF you can find an Accucraft Heisler then you would be getting -

1. A true-to-scale model to the correct 1/20.3 scale that runs on 45mm gauge track, and not a meter-gauge approximation of a Heisler. There do not seem to have been any running on meter-gauge track that I can find.

2. A true-to-scale model that has two large fixed cylinders run from correct Stephenson valve gear, and not a pair of whizzing wigglers.

3. A true-to-scale model with a range of matching lumber industry skeleton cars with an equally-scale-looking appearance.

Those who want the Regner offering will go for it, those who are less impressed, like me, will leave it alone.

The only saving grace is that once the UK has quit the Euro-bondage, we won't be paying the 20% MWST that the Germans do. That goes along with the proviso that HM E & D will no doubt invent a new form of importation tax that will more than likely make up for any perceived deficit in their income.

'sall I'm saying about it -

I completely understand all that, but if you're going to have a pop at the Regner because it's a 2,200 euro a kit that isn't of an actual prototype with Oscilating cylinders etc., [unlike Accucraft] then in the interest of balance I feel that you should at least post up the comparative cost of the Accucraft model.

If the Accucraft model was around the same price, then that's a very valid point (why pay around the same for a lesser model when you can have something better, if you can find one).

If however the Accucraft model is considerably more than the Regner, the reason for the price difference is then clear because as you say the Accucraft model isn't a kit, is of an actual prototype and has the correct cylinders and valve gear.

OK it may be a bit like comparing a Mamod to a Roundhouse but there are folks on here who do that because they simply don't have Roundhouse pockets.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
In the interests of the maintenance of domestic harmony I've pulled all my posts relating to this model.

I'm sure it will sell to those who want it.