New Member G Scale

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Wow. I put in a bid for £150 and was accepted nearly right away. Thanks for advice folks. Stuart
Stuart, as long as you are happy with it, that is what matters :)

Happy to help :mask:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Always worth putting offers in, it costs you nothing, and you get 3 chances. Ridiculously low will get auto rejected. I find 10% below BIN has nearly always been enough to be accepted but I try lower first.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Spotted a LGB Lehmann Schoema Diesel G Gauge Part No20600 on eBay this week. Does that look like a good buy? Obviously the price will go up closer to deadline. Stuart
The Shoema is a great little engine!

I have 5 of them, as well as the snow-plough and track cleaning loco derivatives....

thumbnail_20200802_170159.jpg

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
The Shoema is a great little engine!

I have 5 of them, as well as the snow-plough and track cleaning loco derivatives....

View attachment 280821
my diesel arrived safely today so I set it up for test. Looks really nice, clean and intact. However, when I turn it on it, the light goes on, then the loco sits for 2 or 3 seconds before setting off and picking up speed. same in reverse! Is this normal for these Schoema diesels? Stuart

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
my diesel arrived safely today so I set it up for test. Looks really nice, clean and intact. However, when I turn it on it, the light goes on, then the loco sits for 2 or 3 seconds before setting off and picking up speed. same in reverse! Is this normal for these Schoema diesels? Stuart
I wonder if it is fitted with a decoder?

What is the 5 figure model number on the underside.

Can you take a photo please....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Following on from Gizzy 's comment about a decoder:
(as this is new to you, you may not know this)

A decoder is a bit of elektrickery majic that can make the loco start-off slowly, and build-up to the speed you have set.
Makes' driving 'the loco a little more realistic.
It is called' inertia' and is OK on starting-up, but can be a pain if you want to stop quickly!

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
No. is 20600 It says 0-24 v on same label Stuart

Following on from Gizzy 's comment about a decoder:
(as this is new to you, you may not know this)

A decoder is a bit of elektrickery majic that can make the loco start-off slowly, and build-up to the speed you have set.
Makes' driving 'the loco a little more realistic.
It is called' inertia' and is OK on starting-up, but can be a pain if you want to stop quickly

That makes sense as it does look realistic. I notice that the light does not come on until I move wee controller up to level 3 (1-4 available). Then the pause and away it goes. So looks like it needs more amps (?is that correct term) to move. On other hand it stops instantly if I turn back to zero.

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
That makes sense as it does look realistic. I notice that the light does not come on until I move wee controller up to level 3 (1-4 available). Then the pause and away it goes. So looks like it needs more amps (?is that correct term) to move. On other hand it stops instantly if I turn back to zero.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Not necessarily more Amps..

The electronics has been told to behave that way..
Once you stick some 'intelligence' in a model, you can make it do more things..

The down-side is it might be a little more difficult for youngsters to control?

As an example :
If the loco had sound, many railways had an rule that you would sound the whistle /horn twice before moving forward, and three-times before moving backwards..
The electronics can have this programmed in, to happen automatically.

Lots of added 'play' value, but it does add to the cost, and you need a special power-supply (Central Station) and controller (Throttle) to make full use of the features.

PhilP

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Not necessarily more Amps..

The electronics has been told to behave that way..
Once you stick some 'intelligence' in a model, you can make it do more things..

The down-side is it might be a little more difficult for youngsters to control?

As an example :
If the loco had sound, many railways had an rule that you would sound the whistle /horn twice before moving forward, and three-times before moving backwards..
The electronics can have this programmed in, to happen automatically.

Lots of added 'play' value, but it does add to the cost, and you need a special power-supply (Central Station) and controller (Throttle) to make full use of the features.

PhilP
So it looks like my buy is a success. Still playing on living room carpet but I can put it away now until I get set up outside in the spring. Thanks for advice again. I live and learn. Stuart

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I live and learn
Not for much longer if you mess up the carpet though! Careful, nasty black stuff is produced when playing with trains, even new electric ones, and it doesn't come off carpets

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A patterned carpet, is a boon!
None of this plain beige rubbish!

Beware of small containers of oil.. Even Smoke Oil (euphemistically also called Cleaning Fluid).. :eek::lipssealed:

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
A patterned carpet, is a boon!
None of this plain beige rubbish!

Beware of small containers of oil.. Even Smoke Oil (euphemistically also called Cleaning Fluid).. :eek::lipssealed:
Ok now that I have cleaned up the carpet (no I was lucky) and put the train away for the moment, can I ask what you do for clamping the rails together when I get to that stage. I see some people recommending Hillman clamps and then it turns out they are now defunct. I also saw a suggestion for grease on the ends of rails. Advice? Stuart

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you are using any form of track power, then you need the joints to be reasonably good, to transfer power one section to another..

Secondhand track is cheaper, and it can be ten's of years old. - Hence the joiners will probably have suffered?

You can get 'push-on' joiners, and there is the (so called) conductive grease. - Which does not conduct!

Stand old track, end-on, in cheap Coke, vinegar, or Brick Acid (CARE!).
This will clean the ends of the rail for you.. Rinse well..
Use a tiny amount (half a pea) of either the conductive grease, or Copaslip, when you make the joints.
This keeps moisture and air out of the joints, so slowing tarnish, which causes bad joints..

You can also buy various makes of screw clamps. - Google 'Massoth rail clamp' for instance.

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ok now that I have cleaned up the carpet (no I was lucky) and put the train away for the moment, can I ask what you do for clamping the rails together when I get to that stage. I see some people recommending Hillman clamps and then it turns out they are now defunct. I also saw a suggestion for grease on the ends of rails. Advice? Stuart
Massoth and Piko do Track Clamps, these probably the easiest to source in U.K. but not the best option for now as you are using your set in a play and put away mode. If you are finding issues with loose fishplates and poor connectivity, for the moment a squeeze with pliers right next to the rail leaving the open part of the fishplate as is should help with power connectivity. You want to be able to push the next rail into the fishplate but feel it tight when the rails are touching.

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
If you are using any form of track power, then you need the joints to be reasonably good, to transfer power one section to another..

Secondhand track is cheaper, and it can be ten's of years old. - Hence the joiners will probably have suffered?

You can get 'push-on' joiners, and there is the (so called) conductive grease. - Which does not conduct!

Stand old track, end-on, in cheap Coke, vinegar, or Brick Acid (CARE!).
This will clean the ends of the rail for you.. Rinse well..
Use a tiny amount (half a pea) of either the conductive grease, or Copaslip, when you make the joints.
This keeps moisture and air out of the joints, so slowing tarnish, which causes bad joints..

You can also buy various makes of screw clamps. - Google 'Massoth rail clamp' for instance.

PhilP
I am struggling to find clamps. Looks like Massoth clamps are going the way of Hillman. Any sources? Stuart

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I am struggling to find clamps. Looks like Massoth clamps are going the way of Hillman. Any sources? Stuart

Stock in 1-2 weeks according to the website, but I’d check before ordering.