New Member G Scale

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Just finding out about G Scale from zero Though I had an attic Hornby 3 track railway many years ago (only recently donated to Charity shop) I did not even realise that G Scale was a 'thing' at Christmas. So invested in a wee starter set to see what it was like and now looking forward to snow melting in Monifieth and setting up in garden in spring. Enjoying exploring Ebay for bargains and finding out about the advantages or otherwise of DCC and battery locos. A big new world.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi and welcome - not that many ebay bargains to be had, there seems to be quite a bit to dross to avoid.

However, come the better weather, get out in the garden and play - it's a bit like buying your first computer years ago, once you'd bought it and used it, you understood why you wanted something different and better :D:D

That said, you'll find plenty of inspiration on this forum :nod::nod: as well as some dire humour ;);) which, of course, I do not indulge in :lipssealed::lipssealed:

Reactions: 1 user

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi and welcome - not that many ebay bargains to be had, there seems to be quite a bit to dross to avoid.

However, come the better weather, get out in the garden and play - it's a bit like buying your first computer years ago, once you'd bought it and used it, you understood why you wanted something different and better :D:D

That said, you'll find plenty of inspiration on this forum :nod::nod: as well as some dire humour ;);) which, of course, I do not indulge in :lipssealed::lipssealed:
I hardly used Ebay until G scale turned up and it has lots of items. What should I look out for and what should I avoid? Where are the alternative sources? I don't mind making models etc but avoid electrical wiring type jobs so wary of converting locomotives from one type to another even if I understood the differences at this stage.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
OK, don't fret too much, there'll be plenty of other people chipping in with advice.

One of the early things to learn is that G scale points are constantly live in all directions (unlike the self-isolating points in the smaller scales) that means that some track wiring is necessary even if you go for the absolute minimum like me.

For ebay purchases of locos and rolling stock - look for the amount of wear on the wheels (and skates for locos). Plenty of listings have been labelled as 'little used' when the wheels tell a different story.

I now have to declare my hand, and that is that I'm not going to be an awful lot of use, as I have assembled a collection of US outline trains to the US scale of 15mm : 1ft which uses the 45mm G scale track, but is a slightly larger scale than LGB.

Which brings us to the next learning point, that LGB don't make models to a consistent scale - they are renowned for using the famous 'rubber ruler' and make models that suite each other in terms of physical dimensions.

Piko do a similar thing, modelling standard gauge stock more than narrow gauge.

In some ways, it's an advantage, because it means you can buy what you like, run what you like, and nobody's worried.

There are some cheap unbranded models on ebay marketed by ECR - nothing wrong with ECR, but the models are cheap because you get what you pay for, nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Plenty of people have used them quite satisfactorily, but it helps to go in with your eyes open.

When you get a chance, pop a photo on this thread of what you have so far - people will be only too happy to help.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to he board.

When buying, don't dismiss Playmobil as a possible buy. The couplings are LGB compatible and although the track powered locos are designed for a maximum of 16v, you can still run them with LGB if you bear the voltage limitation in mind.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!
Do not worry too much, about what you are seeing /buying.. Just make sure it is complete, not to battered, and avoid anything really shiny, with lots of chrome!

If you stick to LGB and Piko (perhaps, the odd bit of Playmobil?) you should not end up with anything really useless.

Watch the price of second hand track.. It sometimes goes for more money than new, even before you add carriage.

When you can, throw some track on the grass, and have a play. :)

You can save a little, if you have an idea of the type of railway you want, and only buy items to fit your theme. - But none of us have the willpower to stick to that idea! :(

Most of all, enjoy!

PhilP.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, you do get odd offers of stock for sale in here as well. But sometimes you need to be quick to get it!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum.

Lots of advice available here-in.

If you do see something on Ebay, post a link here so we can let you know if it's worth a punt....

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
OK, don't fret too much, there'll be plenty of other people chipping in with advice.

One of the early things to learn is that G scale points are constantly live in all directions (unlike the self-isolating points in the smaller scales) that means that some track wiring is necessary even if you go for the absolute minimum like me.

For ebay purchases of locos and rolling stock - look for the amount of wear on the wheels (and skates for locos). Plenty of listings have been labelled as 'little used' when the wheels tell a different story.

I now have to declare my hand, and that is that I'm not going to be an awful lot of use, as I have assembled a collection of US outline trains to the US scale of 15mm : 1ft which uses the 45mm G scale track, but is a slightly larger scale than LGB.

Which brings us to the next learning point, that LGB don't make models to a consistent scale - they are renowned for using the famous 'rubber ruler' and make models that suite each other in terms of physical dimensions.

Piko do a similar thing, modelling standard gauge stock more than narrow gauge.

In some ways, it's an advantage, because it means you can buy what you like, run what you like, and nobody's worried.

There are some cheap unbranded models on ebay marketed by ECR - nothing wrong with ECR, but the models are cheap because you get what you pay for, nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Plenty of people have used them quite satisfactorily, but it helps to go in with your eyes open.

When you get a chance, pop a photo on this thread of what you have so far - people will be only too happy to help.
Ok so far I have purchased a LGB 70503 Construction Site Train Starter Set which amuses the grandkids in the living room but provides a basic transformer etc. Then I bought 4* 1200mm straight track, a station pack with two points, 8 *radius 3 curves and some odd wagons from eBay.

My initial plan for the spring is to have a rectangular (12' * 15') outside with a slight incline up the rockery so I can add a couple of bridges. This will be near wall power socket and be something for us all to watch going round. Later I can do something inside the rectangle with smaller radius curves etc. In future I have 'big ideas' about going down garden, round pond etc but it all depends how successful I get on this spring/summer.

Some early concerns include 1.how much incline will locomotive manage in practice
2. should I clamp rails together or grease connections (I read Greg's advice but not any clearer - what about these plastic ties LGB provides to connect tracks underneath?)
3. if I invest in a 'new' locomotive how do I select from huge range of prices - at this stage I really fancy a goods set up rather than passenger coaches.
4. Is it too early to think about investing in a DCC system - or even a battery locomotive with DCC?

I realise this is all baby stuff for you but I am just at the start. I have been reading as much as I can on internet but lots assume I know the basics which I don't. Lots of articles are inspiring including your own site. Thank you for your support. Stuart

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum.

Lots of advice available here-in.

If you do see something on Ebay, post a link here so we can let you know if it's worth a punt....
Well there you are - a LGB Lehmann G Gauge 20212 Stainz -on eBay at this moment. It looks like it will go for about £100. Looks nice but is it what I should be looking at as I already have a wee one in starter set or a lot bigger to get going?

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hullo Stuart.

I have used the small plastic ties in the past, although I now clamp as I have a much larger layout.

For the start of your G scale journey, a half pea sized blob of copper grease in the joiners will help.

Inclines should be as shallow as possible. I've never had one as being in East Anglia, the garden is very flat! So I'll leave that for others to advise.

For a simple layout and a couple of locos, then I would not bother for now with DCC.

Depending on the stock you have purchased so far, which I guess is smaller 2 axle wagons, then a second loco could be a Shoema 0-4-0 diesel or similar, as a huge loco just wouldn't look right....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Well there you are - a LGB Lehmann G Gauge 20212 Stainz -on eBay at this moment. It looks like it will go for about £100. Looks nice but is it what I should be looking at as I already have a wee one in starter set or a lot bigger to get going?
The Stainz is a popular loco and is found it most starter sets. No harm in having another and £100 is a fair price....

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Stuart,
If in doubt, make the railway flat.. - But if you plonk it on the lawn, it probably won't be!
If you keep trains short, you can climb a steeper gradient, but any slope puts strain on things. - You might struggle to get enough height, for stock to pass under your track, in the space you have?
Eight inches is probably a good figure to aim for (railhead to underside of bridge) even this could be tight for some items.

If you can use any natural slope in the garden, to aid with clearance, you may be OK?
A long plank, and a brick or two, will allow you to experiment.
A curve, immediately followed by an incline, is not a good idea as the drag increases markedly.

Don't go mad, on the ground work to start with.. The little one's will be more than happy with a loop of track!
A passing loop, and station, will add play value for all ages. :)

PhilP

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
The Stainz is a popular loco and is found it most starter sets. No harm in having another and £100 is a fair price....
Thanks for advice but I missed it as I was having tea. Someone mentioned checking wheels and electrical pick up - how would I check that on eBay?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, as to advice there's plenty to be had on here as you've found out. Ebay is a good resource, and there's plenty of kit there for you to choose from but the chances of a real bargain are limited.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for advice but I missed it as I was having tea. Someone mentioned checking wheels and electrical pick up - how would I check that on eBay?
Look for a photo of the underside of the loco..
The wheels are brass, then plated. Look for wear and a change of colour.
The skates rub on the track, and will show signs of wear, also.
You will also get a feel for the general condition of the model. - Though if it has been stored unboxed, they can look pretty grubby.
Missing handrails, lamp lens, and the like, are another pointer to general condition.

PhilP

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!
Do not worry too much, about what you are seeing /buying.. Just make sure it is complete, not to battered, and avoid anything really shiny, with lots of chrome!

If you stick to LGB and Piko (perhaps, the odd bit of Playmobil?) you should not end up with anything really useless.

Watch the price of second hand track.. It sometimes goes for more money than new, even before you add carriage.

When you can, throw some track on the grass, and have a play. :)

You can save a little, if you have an idea of the type of railway you want, and only buy items to fit your theme. - But none of us have the willpower to stick to that idea! :(

Most of all, enjoy!

PhilP.
I noticed that already about tracks. Most of it is not worth the gamble compared with the price of new track. But people are obviously prepared to pay the price. Thanks. Stuart

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Generally a vendor will provide an image of the underside of a loco - look for signs of wear on the wheels and, where fitted, pick up skates.
( bit like the shoe gear on a real life 3/4 rail EMU ).Max

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Look for a photo of the underside of the loco..
The wheels are brass, then plated. Look for wear and a change of colour.
The skates rub on the track, and will show signs of wear, also.
You will also get a feel for the general condition of the model. - Though if it has been stored unboxed, they can look pretty grubby.
Missing handrails, lamp lens, and the like, are another pointer to general condition.

PhilP
I guess that is why there is often a photo of Underside and wheels. I will have to look closer. Thanks. Stuart

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
If the vendor hasn't provided a photo of the underside (most do) then ask them to do so.

You will soon see if the wheels and skates are worn. Skates can be replaced, wheels not so easily.

If the skates are worn you could try and get a discount. They seem to sell for £8.99 these days, so you could ask for a tenner's deduction.

I saw this example on Ebay, with worn skates and plating worn on the wheels. Cheap enough at £65, but if it was £100, I would ask for a discount....

s-l500.jpg

Last edited: