New Member G Scale

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Right teas out of the way. Thanks for all your advice so far but tonight's 'daft' questions
1. Just looking at LGB locomotives, I can see a huge range of prices. What makes one worth £200 and another £4000?
2. Apart from size, how do I know a locomotive is more powerful than another? For example there are several 0-4-0 diesels that look similar?
3. Is there a big market in old LGB catalogues? I keep seeing them popping up in different places.
4. Is there a big market in spare wee parts? I see odd items for specific locomotives that I thought was very niche eg on Amazon there is a

"LGB Spare part steam locomotive BR99 6001 for center axle spring C Drive G scale". If this was a bit of my car, I bet I would not get it in Halfords.​

Just asking folks? Stuart

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Right teas out of the way. Thanks for all your advice so far but tonight's 'daft' questions
1. Just looking at LGB locomotives, I can see a huge range of prices. What makes one worth £200 and another £4000?
2. Apart from size, how do I know a locomotive is more powerful than another? For example there are several 0-4-0 diesels that look similar?
3. Is there a big market in old LGB catalogues? I keep seeing them popping up in different places.
4. Is there a big market in spare wee parts? I see odd items for specific locomotives that I thought was very niche eg on Amazon there is a

"LGB Spare part steam locomotive BR99 6001 for center axle spring C Drive G scale". If this was a bit of my car, I bet I would not get it in Halfords.​

Just asking folks? Stuart
There is a bit of an LGB myth. On the one hand, LGB were first in the market, their stuff is rugged and parts are reasonably well supported.

On the other hand - last year's catalogue ?? why waste yer money on something that doesn't run on rails :think::think:

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Well.............
Bigger loco's *may* have two motors, so more expensive..
Some may have sound. - Older sound cards will be more limited..
Some will have a DCC decoder fitted. - More money..
Some will have a DCC sound decoder fitted. - Even more money!..

Then there are The Aster's..
Aster make wonderful brass models... LGB commissioned them to make 'metal' versions of some models. Limited Editions, in numbered wooden boxes.
Recently, Marklin/LGB have done the odd limited edition (mainly plastic) model. - The 4k rotary snow plough (that won't plough snow!) comes to mind..

As for parts:
For years, you could get all the 'bits'.. Then LGB went bump (sort-of) more than once, and the 'bits' got sold-off..

Many models have not been made for years, and the supply of spares is drying up..
More than one person, is buying old models, stripping them down, and selling the 'bits' for a profit ..

You will also find models 'like LGB' on evilBay, which are not LGB.
Some good, some, not-so..

PhilP

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Well.............
Bigger loco's *may* have two motors, so more expensive..
Some may have sound. - Older sound cards will be more limited..
Some will have a DCC decoder fitted. - More money..
Some will have a DCC sound decoder fitted. - Even more money!..

Then there are The Aster's..
Aster make wonderful brass models... LGB commissioned them to make 'metal' versions of some models. Limited Editions, in numbered wooden boxes.
Recently, Marklin/LGB have done the odd limited edition (mainly plastic) model. - The 4k rotary snow plough (that won't plough snow!) comes to mind..

As for parts:
For years, you could get all the 'bits'.. Then LGB went bump (sort-of) more than once, and the 'bits' got sold-off..

Many models have not been made for years, and the supply of spares is drying up..
More than one person, is buying old models, stripping them down, and selling the 'bits' for a profit ..

You will also find models 'like LGB' on evilBay, which are not LGB.
Some good, some, not-so..

PhilP
So I guess a sound card is a bit of tech that plugs into something and makes noises. A decoder is??? and a sound decoder is?? can all these things be added to my wee locomotive if I was prepared to pay?
As for size, are all 0-4-0 diesels roughly the same power? I told you I was a starter!
Rest of info made sense. Thanks. Stuart

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Essentially any loco can have a soundcard fitted to it, wether it be track powered, DC or DCC, battery, or even a live steam loco if you wish, just so long as there is an electrical power source available for it. It is what it says on the tin. The DC type are found usually in basic DC track powered locos with their functions, above that of basic chuff sounds, actuated by reed switches or rc control where the loco is battery operated.The level of sophistication is dependent on make. Some sound cards come with preprogrammed sound "sequences" that are voltage dependent for operation. A sound decoder is is another name for a sound card but when used and made for a DCC environment, as opposed to DC.Those tend to be the most versatile in the functionality department too, not relying on any outboard physical triggers for individual sounds. A decoder is a generic term for the interface between a loco, and any other piece of equipment, that operates in conjunction with a DCC system. DCC = Didgital Command and Control.

Almost any DC loco can be upgraded to operate in DCC environment - wether it is financially or practically viable is another matter. To give you some idea of how sophisticated a DCC enabled loco can be, in the sound department, have a look at this
Now keep in mind this little loco is OO (1:76) scale - 009. It blew my mind when I saw it - it is the only bit of DCC kit I own, but it would be impossible to operate as is without a DCC operating system being in place. Max

P.S. The sounds you hear on that loco were taken from a real life version operated at the Leighto Buzzard Light Railway, near where I live. I have met the guy who was firing it the day they recorded all the sounds. Sound cards are either "generic" or made to match specific locos and motive power, steam, diesel and electric.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Not being in expert in DCC etc. Can I just say, play with what you have at present to get the feel of things before spending lots of money. I think we all can agree, large scale modelling can be expensive, so purchasing mistakes can be painful

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Stuart, welcome to the forum, as you have seem lots of advice to be had here, I would recommend keeping it small until you know where you are going. What you have will keep you satisfied for a while, and build your railway in to YOUR railway.
But the most important thing is to HAVE FUN :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
One of the things worth noting is that the sum of the parts of a loco can make the loco mire expensive if you bought it bit by bit. There are people out in the world that buy old not working LgB as cheep as possible, pull it down to component parts and make money good by selling all of the bits. Sad but that is the way things are. If it were any other way the manufacturers would never make a new train as we if could all buy the bits at a saving we would. Well some would!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Sound is a mixed blessing. I fitted a MyLocoSound sound card into a goods van and it worked well and sounded good but after three or four hours of it running round the track at a display it was bliss to turn the sound card off!

And don't forget, there are other people in the house or in the garden next door.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Sound is a mixed blessing. I fitted a MyLocoSound sound card into a goods van and it worked well and sounded good but after three or four hours of it running round the track at a display it was bliss to turn the sound card off!

And don't forget, there are other people in the house or in the garden next door.
My next-door neighbour, hates my sound cards, and as such often have them low or off, but I still like them and find them an "nice to have" because then you have the choice.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
My next-door neighbour, hates my sound cards, and as such often have them low or off, but I still like them and find them an "nice to have" because then you have the choice.
Funny both of my neighbours have no issues, as a rule it brings the grandees to peep over the fence to watch the trains. But I do not run circles round my line so chuffing is likely to be a few minutes split by waiting for another train to arrive to pass or shunting which tends to be a lower chuff volume.

Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Funny both of my neighbours have no issues, as a rule it brings the grandees to peervover the fence to watch the trains. But I do not run circles round my line so chuffing is likely to be a few minutes split by waiting for another train to arrive to pass or shunting which tends to be a lower chuff volume.
For a moment I thought you'd said it brings "the grandees to pee over the fence".

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
One of the things worth noting is that the sum of the parts of a loco can make the loco mire expensive if you bought it bit by bit. There are people out in the world that buy old not working LgB as cheep as possible, pull it down to component parts and make money good by selling all of the bits. Sad but that is the way things are. If it were any other way the manufacturers would never make a new train as we if could all buy the bits at a saving we would. Well some would!

It's a practice quite common in a lot of hobbies where a ready buoyant market for old defunct valuable collectors pieces develops. Not sad really as it allows a lot of mostly unusable junk/damaged/inoperable kit to be recycled to create near perfect working examples, although sometimes with a dodgy provenance.

Let's face it, most of the preserved, identifiable and numbered, full sized locos you see today are a collection of salvaged parts from disparate sources with some pricey specially commissioned parts thrown in to create a perfect working example. And if you are into classic cars or motorbikes - auto jumbles and re-shelling ? Max

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hullo Stuart.

I have used the small plastic ties in the past, although I now clamp as I have a much larger layout.

For the start of your G scale journey, a half pea sized blob of copper grease in the joiners will help.

Inclines should be as shallow as possible. I've never had one as being in East Anglia, the garden is very flat! So I'll leave that for others to advise.

For a simple layout and a couple of locos, then I would not bother for now with DCC.

Depending on the stock you have purchased so far, which I guess is smaller 2 axle wagons, then a second loco could be a Shoema 0-4-0 diesel or similar, as a huge loco just wouldn't look right....
Spotted a LGB Lehmann Schoema Diesel G Gauge Part No20600 on eBay this week. Does that look like a good buy? Obviously the price will go up closer to deadline. Stuart

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Spotted a LGB Lehmann Schoema Diesel G Gauge Part No20600 on eBay this week. Does that look like a good buy? Obviously the price will go up closer to deadline. Stuart
Look's to be in good - order..
Handrails all there, lights supposedly work, light wear on the wheels and skates.
Does not say if it has the original box, but not such a problem for a small loco.

I would think it will probably make £160 to £180.

PhilP.

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
It looks like one of the later ones, I would consider making an offer at close to your maximum price, before there are any bids, as you say good chance it will go high, and above what you may wish to pay :)

It looks like one of the later ones, I would consider making an offer at close to your maximum price, before there are any bids, as you say good chance it will go high, and above what you may wish to pay :)
Thanks. Do people sometimes just accept a bid? Stuart

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Wow. I put in a bid for £150 and was accepted nearly right away. Thanks for advice folks. Stuart