New hotel build,calling it finished.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Now I have the bug for buildings I thought I would start the new hotel project and after some research on the net with some of the old western ghost towns work has started,I wanted old but not run down,random brick pattern with a Victorian feel about the building with the builders putting it up with whatever was at hand,I looked around the local shops for some foam board but to no avail so I went for individual bricks cut out and glued on.I thought roof shingles were bad enough but bricks are a true pain:swear: and only another 3 walls to do!!!!.the brick pattern is about the same as a building I found and each brick knife scored for texture,chunky random brick and wide mortar courses and has turned looking as I thought so will carry on.The window and door openings have been done together with the basic frames on a separate sheet of plasticard so when the internal sheet is finally glued in place against the window casements a flat internal wall will allow some inside detailing to go in,the windows were made quite large to allow inside viewing when completed.the bar across the front is for the balcony support,some paint thrown on to get an idea of brick colour but maybe a little dark,window sills and cappings still to be attached when finished and the window and door openings still to be squared off and tidied up and the frames finished,a long long way to go on this one and ran out of materials again so another visit to the model shop I suppose,as for the wall capping,signage and roof type,,figure that out when I get there.HOTEL BUILD 001.jpgHOTEL BUILD 002.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great, you must have the patience of Jobe, if I can't build it now I can't do it I admire your patience and perseverance, great looking piece of work, Bill. PS my hotel was 3 stories and was of a Florida style of batten/board which was the same style as Playmobil western style buildings so in 2 days I had a 3 store grand hotel with wrap around pouches with easy to glue together parts, I certainly admire some one like you that has the ability to build something like you are, thanks for the share

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Individual Bricks is a task for the masochist. I did them an a few Buildings in 0 Gauge using GBC Binding Chads, what a task. Better to get Foamboard from the net. Generally arrives as quick as going round the Shops on a couple of days to not find any.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Outstanding sir!

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
Promissing start! I like the brick colour as it is. You can drybrush it a bit later with slightly lighter colour if you think it is still too dark.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the likes and comments,,;)I have been out of the picture for a couple of weeks (hols) but a lot of work done on the build and nearly ready for guests now,I will let the pics tell the story,the things to do are touch up and second coat on some items including the advert billboard on the side.the roof to finish with chimney and trapdoor details,some dummy internal walls to stop window see through from front to back probably with a red wash to give a glow effect when lit,may just model a reception area on the ground floor,the secondary building on the side is still to be considered and constructed,thinking of a small barber shop?A lot done since the first pics posted;);).Sorry for the quality of the pics but it just started raining so done in a hurry.The billboard was done after the outside shots taken.HOTEL 2 001.jpgHOTEL 2 002.jpgHOTEL 2 004.jpgHOTEL 2 005.jpgHOTEL 2 006.jpgHOTEL 2 010.jpgHOTEL 2 012.jpg

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
After some consideration the small build on the side was started and now completed,it had to be small and practical and maybe a small store if possible.I did think of a small barber shop but it would have been a little small even for that so after more thought I came up with a ice cream and candy store that could serve customers through an open window.Before work started on the project I made a paper template footprint of the old hotel building so the new one would fit in place without any problems changing anything on the layout so the only thing now to do to cover the area is to make a board walk for the new store to complete.The large wall area above the store needs a billboard of some sort I think,still a few jobs to do to finish the whole thing off but nearly done;);).Sorry for the pics being on the dark side but a rush before rain:swear:ICE CREAM 020.jpgICE CREAM 012.jpg

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
A little more done on the project,some billboard advertising and signage,the small Palace Hotel on the rear wall will be seen from the depot as passengers get off the train,as for the ad on the side wall I wanted something a little different so came up with a car launch for `59,the car is a made up design as I went along and just resembles something from the late `50s,the paintwork needs a little tweak or two just to tidy it up but overall its done,the chilli sauce ad on the other end has been touched in but still to finish off with some more details and lettering;),the to do list,boardwalk for the ice cream store,some detailing items to take off and add from the old building,maybe a small water tank on the roof, a possible fire escape and of course final paint touch up.Ads 002.jpgAds 004.jpgAds 007.jpg

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
After some details added I`m calling this one done,I may add a fire escape later when in final position is decided on the layout but for now its finished,the small water tank on the roof and rain spouts allow the roof space to drain out as the last thing i need is a swimming pool on the roof(tested and they work),a new hotel sign on the front wall at 90 degrees to the brickwork,the boardwalk to the ice cream store added,street sign on one of the balcony supports and some figures repainted and glued in.The chilli sauce and car ads have been touched in and the bandit face and a few chilli peppers added,general touch up with paint and ready to go outside soon:clap::clap::clap::clap:HOTEL DONE 003.jpgHOTEL DONE 005.jpgHOTEL DONE 007.jpgHOTEL DONE 012.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Outstanding sir

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent!
What are the room-rates like? :)

Picture three:
Get on to the Municipal Authorities! That 'open manhole' looks dangerous, and very deep! ;)

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent!
What are the room-rates like? :)

Picture three:
Get on to the Municipal Authorities! That 'open manhole' looks dangerous, and very deep! ;)
Well Paul,room rates at 1959 rates,coffee in room with TV and small bathroom although food is available at Mims diner (pic)build finish 012.jpgacross the street at reduced rates for hotel guests(open 24hours).2 double rooms available at this time.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have blanked out 2 windows so no interior light shows from the outside to indicate unoccupied rooms.Railfanners and truckers welcome:rofl::rofl:;):giggle::clap:.
As for the manhole,already got a crew on the job!!!!!!!!!;);)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Superb !

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Picture three:

I naturally assumed that that is where the 'Outhouse' was to be erected, over that hole. Just shows what level my brain operates

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I naturally assumed that that is where the 'Outhouse' was to be erected, over that hole. Just shows what level my brain operates
Nope,internal plumbing on this one,:clap::clap: