New car railcar for the PLR

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Another project which has been sitting on the shelf for a while has now emerged from the workshop - a car railcar
S1760001.JPG

Not sure where the donor body came from for the car. But it seems to look OK
S1760002.JPG

The passengers are those cheap figures which come from China - butchered a bit. Slightly under scale (1:25) but they don't look too out of place!
S1760003.JPG

The luggage hides the motor. One of those cheap worm gearbox motors with the 3v motor replaced with a 6v version.

A couple of li-ion AA sized batteries and a Deltang Rx60 receiver/controller and Bob's your uncle.

The premise is that the Hon Frances Tollemache (daughter of Lord Tollemache of Peckforton Castle) is returning from her hols with her latest beau.

Hope you like it

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Another project which has been sitting on the shelf for a while has now emerged from the workshop - a car railcar
S1760001.JPG

S1760002.JPG

The passengers are those cheap figures which come from China - butchered a bit. Slightly under scale (1:25) but they don't look too out of place!
S1760003.JPG

The luggage hides the motor. One of those cheap worm gearbox motors with the 3v motor replaced with a 6v version.

A couple of li-ion AA sized batteries and a Deltang Rx60 receiver/controller and Bob's your uncle.

The premise is that the Hon Frances Tollemache (daughter of Lord Tollemache of Peckforton Castle) is returning from her hols with her latest beau.

Hope you like it

Rik
Love it! For some reason, due to the camera angle, in the first photo I thought the passenger was a sheep. Obviously Frances is not as horsey as her forebears! By coincidence I saw the local Stanley Steamer out on the road yesterday -modelling that would allow you to add a sound card with 'chuff' (and a smoke unit to provide steam?). :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It looks a little 'Sylvanian' (SP?) but more-like what Playmobil is to LGB (if you get me?). - What does it say across the top of the radiator?

PhilP.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Nice re purposing project, the origin of car itself, is indeed from the Sylvanian Families range.

One hopes it's base colour was neither the rare Red version as in the picture below, or even the rarer than Hens teeth Japanese White version.

(One of the joys of knowledge, and fountain of useless facts, of being a Great Grandpa, Grandpa, Great Uncle and Uncle to a plethora of female members of the family!)

SYLVANIAN FAMILIES VINTAGE RED CLASSIC CAR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
..... What does it say across the top of the radiator?
PhilP.
"Urban Life" ......
Doesn't mean much to me. No idea where it originated. I bought it a couple of years ago. It had already been converted to rail, but with a large bogie at the front and so was very high above the track. I decided to do away with the bogie and lower it closer to the rails.

Rik
PS Just seen the above post. So it is Sylvanian. I wonder if they are still available

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Nice re purposing project, the origin of car itself, is indeed from the Sylvanian Families range.

One hopes it's base colour was neither the rare Red version as in the picture below, or even the rarer than Hens teeth Japanese White version.

(One of the joys of knowledge, and fountain of useless facts, of being a Great Grandpa, Grandpa, Great Uncle and Uncle to a plethora of female members of the family!)

View attachment 270365
It was indeed the rare white version. :eek: ! But it had already been painted brown by the time I got it.

Rik

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
It was indeed the rare white version. :eek: ! But it had already been painted brown by the time I got it.Rik

In your best Jim Bowen voice, "look at what you could have won bought" :)

Nevermind the money!, it still is a cracking little railcar......

Worm gearbox motor with the 3v motor replaced with a 6v version, which particular one did you use?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
"Urban Life" ......
Doesn't mean much to me. No idea where it originated. I bought it a couple of years ago. It had already been converted to rail, but with a large bogie at the front and so was very high above the track. I decided to do away with the bogie and lower it closer to the rails.

Rik
PS Just seen the above post. So it is Sylvanian. I wonder if they are still available
Not sure if it is available a lot to look through, but some sort of good news they are introducing a Tripple Light Stand.

Probably should go in a Sylvan Thread. Oh is the car to be back to baked with your Rail Truck or is a Turntable or two an even more pressing need now Rik?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Oh is the car to be back to baked with your Rail Truck or is a Turntable or two an even more pressing need now Rik?

Many of the small inspection cars, or Director's Saloons, had built-in jack / turntable arrangements..

Now, someone of their social standing, would have a mechanical system driven from the 'engine', I reckon? - Rik! There is a challenge for you?!! RC jack/turntable arrangement. :devil::devil:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Google-ing 'Sylvanian car' and selecting images:

There is a nice 'Moggy-Minor' in either British Racing Green, or pale blue.. A seven seater 'people carrier' which would make a works drasine.. A black / white, similar to the Riley posted the other day..

Not to mention the caravans!

<edit>
There is even:

1595498586066.png

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Many of the small inspection cars, or Director's Saloons, had built-in jack / turntable arrangements..

Now, someone of their social standing, would have a mechanical system driven from the 'engine', I reckon? - Rik! There is a challenge for you?!! RC jack/turntable arrangement. :devil::devil:
It has been done by a German I think or perhaps in France, G scale using DCC. Turntable drops down and continues to pick up the power. Probably enough functions in Deltang to manage it for Rik. space for the motors for lifting and turning could be the issue.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think I remember seeing the modern red (RHB, perhaps?) snow-blower modelled.. The prototype has a turntable built-in, as it (obviously) only has the 'doings' at one end..
There should be enough 'swing' in a servo to lift clear of the track, and a second servo, with the end-stop removed, and the position pot. disconnected, would allow continuous rotation. - Alignment could just be 'by eye'. :wondering::nerd::think:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Worm gearbox motor with the 3v motor replaced with a 6v version, which particular one did you use?

Rik

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
S1760001.JPG

S1760002.JPG

S1760003.JPG

Hope you like it

Rik

I left the 3v motor on mine and power it with 4.8v NiMh - works OK (a plastic bodied VW drasine)

Ah, I lied - I thought you were referring to the Tamiya motor gearboxes - Doh!

Last edited: