New Bachmann Lyn

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Has anybody got one of these yet ? I was wondering if they are an improvement on the old version now that they have brass gears. I like the prototype, and have one of the old versions which is not a a good loco in terms of performance.
The asking price of £167 at Garden Railway Centres seems very reasonable if they run as one would expect.

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have one, but it certainly looks interesting especially at that price. What are the problems with the old one Garry? The old one certainly appears not to have skates, so I wonder if it picks up off all eight wheels or just the four driving ones. Be interested to hear if anyone has any more information on the new model.

James

GlenF

G Scale, LGB, British 16mm, Live steam and electri
24 Oct 2009
Michigan, USA
www.flickr.com
Best answers
m3.gif
I'm also interested in the new version but I might wait awhile as the price will surely drop in a year or two. I had a couple of the old versions and they were both poor runners (both since sold) but I think they had pickups on all 8 wheels.

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
There are some photos comparing the old and new (American version) models here.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150110316800761.308311.182658255760 < Link To http://www.facebook.com/m...61.308311.182658255760
The new one certainly looks nicely detailed and the gears look up to the job. I'm interested! The Bachmann UK website has them down for July/August delivery, so I guess there is a while to wait yet.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The pick up looks poor - those brass strips are running on the axle in the grease coming from those baearings. One axle looks black and mucky already (bottom left). Looks like the trucks do pick up as well as there are wires going to both.
As for the orange plastic - looks like a cheap toy - picture does not do Bachmann ant favours does it - yet its on thier own facebook site.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Wheel(s) dirty as well - presume it has been well tested. It isn't just the orange plastic - the smokebox door etc plastic looks naff. But this is a pre-production model - it must be! Airing their dirty linen in public? I suppose that it will look OK in the end.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
The original one is a bit of a pig to take apart as the wheels are a push fit into the gears, these have to be pulled out before you can open the gearbox to get at the motor. The original picks up on all wheels and runs very well although they have a reputation fir cracking the gears. Putting it all back together is also difficult without a big vice or a lathe to push the wheels back in square.
I'd recommend the new one only if you want to go dcc as it's going to be dcc ready.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
The problems were poor current pick up & fragile gears. The picture in the Garden Rail ad shows it in Southern Railway green, with the options of black, black with red lining & black with green lining ( the last 3 unlettered ) no sign of the orange plastic on the picture so I guess that must be a test piece.
On the GRC website there isn't any mention of it , but the ad in GR does not mention that it is a future release.
I suppose its a wait & see situation then, as I would not buy one without knowing about their quality given my past experiences with Bachmann loco's

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Now i managed to see the pictures I like what I see.
I think the pickups look good especially if your using conductive grease which may account for the mucky look if it contains graphite. Much better thought out than the original gearbox.
A wide bearing surface on the pickup should mean low wear and good contact and they will be simple to repair without relying on factory parts when they do wear out.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
The orange in the Facebook pics I expect are just parts moulded in a different material from the others, or for testing purposes to help show different parts. Funny how people just assume (the comments on Facebook) that Bachmann would actually release a black and orange locomotive!!

The un-lettered examples sound interesting. I'd have to hear how they ran, and see if a centre buffer and LGB style coupling was an easy option to fit before I'd consider one, but the price is very keen!

mbiff

cars trains planes
24 Oct 2009
hinckley
Best answers
lol - it does say the orange plastic is to prove out the moulds :confused:

anyhoo - looks like the pick ups are running on bearings not the wheel spindle - i may be wrong :nerd:

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a fitted cam for the chuff sensor on a decoder too. I fitted Accucraft couplings to my original one which manage ok with their limited swing on R3 so the pony truck fitted LGB loop ones should be ok for you James.

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
The Orange could mean it's been Tango'd.:D Alyn

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Congratulations to Bachmann for learning from their mistakes with the first version of this model (hopefully). If it does turn out that this version is more reliable and robust, I hope it turns into a nice little earner for them.

Maybe it's a scenario that Accucraft might like to think about?

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
I really want one now.......in Southern of course!

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Took a peek at a couple of black (no livery) ones at Steves (B2B6)
yesterday very very very nice. :D:D:D

Just about managed to resist as he has a table full of donated
stock for the TALYLLYN APPEAL up for sale at the moment.

Some nice kit at very cheap cheap prices :clap:

toojags

Computing, G Scale Trains, Photography
17 Feb 2010
Swindon
Best answers
The Garden Railway Centre price on the "Lyn" is very hard to beat. The lowest price I can manage at the moment is £180. However, I do have a couple of the US versions in Black (91197) and Black & Red (91198) at only £165 each if members are interested. They are available as usual on my G Scale website at www.gscaleonline.co.uk.
Thanks
[h1][/h1]

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Mine has arrived today, testing and report to follow...

436b16f4449d4c6aa9628cfb492c3771.jpg