Need pictures of weathered locos

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I would like to do some weathering on my Stainz and Caterpillar ( LGB 2063 ) locos. It would be nice to have something to use as a guide. Any sources for photos of these locos that have seen better days would be appreciated.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Pictures of 1:1 Dan or models ?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Either. Models preferred however.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
A mixture of 1:1 and a couple of my weathered Stainz below:
Most of the 1:1 are black and white photos so not the best. All the colour photos of the Stainz are post restoration with heiss dampflok and extended coal bunkers

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Piko BR80.jpg

Okay, this grubby monster has been pictured before. :D
A going over with the airbrush in dirty colours suited to the part of the loco, for instance dirt splashes on the chassis, brake dust and general crud around the wheels, grey along the smokebox, the entire loco was then given a blow over in a very deep shade of grey (Tamiya NATO black) to take off the new black plastic look. I did pick out the handwheels on the pipes in red using a paintbrush (after seeing a real loco with this). The whole lot then got sprayed in matt varnish, this is why the windows look grimy - the forward facing windows were immediately wiped with cotton buds to give the impression of having been wiped with a rag. Lastly the areas below the water tanks were `dribbled` with thinned gloss varnish to look wet.

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That's a really effective job, Puggy! :)

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Some of my efforts

Piko Harz Kamel to right

image.jpg

LGB Harz 2-10-2

image.jpg

LGB USA 2-6-0 with European Mods, more painting weathering to do

image.jpg

Note that I prefer Subtle effects, sometimes Weathering can be overdone. Remember not many Locomotives looked like they did at Barry when running.

Rather like Pugwash treatment to the Piko Loco.
JonD

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That's a superb job you've done there, Ian, on both locos!

Is the low-loader wagon going to get a similar treatment or are you keeping that pristine?

Jon.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
I would have to relay track to get it any better - here is Garsten shed....

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 34

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Aw, guys, I'm blushing :eek:
Seriously though, on the 'less is best' theory - which I follow - one of the really great works was done by one of our (sadly gone) mods Woderwick. If you want to look up Rod Hayward and
www.gtrains.co.uk
look at the pictures and the effect is outstanding.
:D

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Great, thanks all. I am doing some weathering on some of my loco and now have some inspiration and guidance.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not been around for a few weeks so catching up with some posts,,,,,,Dan,what about these two,Americanized Stainz n Otto,they old pics but maybe sort of thing you may be looking for,Rio ;) ;)

Attachments

• loco 002.JPG
    loco 002.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 30
  • loco 003.JPG
    loco 003.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 31
  • loco 004.JPG
    loco 004.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 30
  • loco 005.JPG
    loco 005.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 31

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
You have made a great job of those Riograndad

Zerogee said:
That's a superb job you've done there, Ian, on both locos!

Is the low-loader wagon going to get a similar treatment or are you keeping that pristine?

Jon.

Thanks Jon
Actually only the Spremberger is mine - the well wagon and loco were visiting stock from Netty's reailway.
So unless he's weathered it - it will probably stay pristine :)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Not been around for a few weeks so catching up with some posts,,,,,,Dan,what about these two,Americanized Stainz n Otto,they old pics but maybe sort of thing you may be looking for,Rio ;) ;)

Very nice. I like the hazy looking gray you have on them. Makes them look dusty from road dust. What did you use to accomplish the look ?

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Dan,simple job but needs practice,,,,base coat matt black,then over the top rattle can Humbrol matt dark brown no29,,,,,,,,I normally use a run by spray,set the control to about half throttle,and run the loco,as the loco trundles by aim the can towards the wheels about a foot or so away at an angle so the loco/car actually runs into the spray,the spray then gets into the airflow around the loco and into the cracks etc,as i recall these two locos had three passes with the can,I never spray the top of the loco/car only the lower parts,let the overspray take care of the upper details,,,,,,The idea came from a magazine years ago,I learnt how to by the article,,,,don`t use a expensive item,cover a box car with paper,some old track,incline the track slightly and let it run down hill,one thing to remember is that one pass is one from each direction so gets even coat both ends,of course an airbrush would work just as well,rust etc can be added before or after dust effect,wheels may need clean afterward but so small amount of paint used I have never found this a problem,hope this helps,,,Rio:sunglasses:

Attachments

• NO 49 003.JPG
    NO 49 003.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 23

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, i've rediscovered my airbrush recently.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Dan,It`s an old pic of my bashed Mighty Moe(another one to do at some point)not a Plymouth,but same sort of loco(ish)using the same weathering technique,works just as well on the box body as a steam outline.posted just as an example:tonguewink:,,Rio

Attachments

• loco 006.JPG
    loco 006.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 22

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Nice !