NCE Power Can and Analogue

MartinP

Registered
15 Jun 2011
UK
Best answers
Is it possible to have a single analogue locomotive when using the PowerCab?

Martin

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
No. NCE systems haven't supported running an unchipped loco on DCC for many many years.

MartinP

Registered
15 Jun 2011
UK
Best answers
Thanks for this.

While we are talking. I am trying to change the address of a loco fitted with massoth decoder . It is currently 3 (short) but do not seem to change despite following the instructions. Goes through all of the mentions

Martin

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I don't own a PowerCab so I don't know about programming with it. The Powercab doesn't have separate programming track connections so you have to do things differently than with the full ProCab system which I run (eg. with the PowerCab you have to remove all other locos from the layout or use a switch to change to a separate section of track?)

To be honest I cannot remember the last time I used the programming track on the ProCab as I've always used a SPROG box and a PC to program decoders. That said, you certainly should be able to set the decoder address with your PowerCab. Looking at the PowerCab manual it looks pretty straight forward to set a short or a long address?

Have you managed to change the address on other decoders - is it just the Massoth decoder that's giving problems? does the PowerCab read the manufacturer ID ok (should be 123)? Have you checked that the active address setting (long or short) is correct for the address you've set?

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
I haven't had much joy changing addresses with my Power Cab, but I've always put it down to the fact that I use it through a booster, and don't get the feedback. Most other programming of MTS chips works fine.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting. Presumably when programming through the booster you're effectively doing "Programming On The Main". That method of programming doesn't give you any feedback and you cannot read CVs. It's my understanding that you cannot change a decoder's address through Programming On The Main.

In order to perform "programing track" or "service mode" style programming you'd have to NOT be using a booster I'd have thought. Only service mode programming allows the feedback via motor pulses that allows the programmer to read CVs.

As I say I don't have a PowerCab but the manual does indicate that service mode progamming is possible, you just have to remove all other locos from the layout or they'll all get programmed the same.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a PowerCab for my lad's 009 layout and to be a second full cab for my main 10 amp ProCab system.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
I do have a programming track and wiring for a changeover switch but never got around to finishing it off ! I rather prefer the SPROG for most programming and use the pro cab for the odd quick fix.