My Scratchbuilt Covered (and lift) Bridge

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
Been searching through my old postings to give credit to the person who inspired this structure on my trackwork, but sadly can?t find it - Sorry! His words were along the lines of ?Go for a lift bridge? so here is a brief history of the work involved. I decided not to post this update before it had proved itself through the winter.

Rationale: I needed to be able to get access to the inside of the loop section. The track is approx 18? above the ground, I am not tall and like everyone, I?m getting older, so clambering over could have been dangerous to both me and the track.

The gap is bridged by 6? x 2? treated timber (8? wide used for the rest of the system track base) n.b. the lift section timber is cut at 20deg from vertical angle at both ends of the bridge to allow a clean lift without jamming.

54f34ab18381424a8b814cf68e3c4f2a.jpg

I used two 1 metre stainless steel rules (from a local cheap store) as the hinge mechanism, pivoting through the factory-hanging-up-hole (indicated by the use of an old drill bit in this photo)
3a77556e0f584d53a34a10e4d4f6f6c4.jpg

Aligning took some careful measurement, but the most critical being the distance from the fulcrum of the hinge to the opening point. The 20 degree angle compliments the 9mm (3.5 inch) radius.

636e4c1acdb540e9b6771d2e2f8f55af.jpg

The covered bridge is modelled on the Vermont Fall covered bridge. I decided to try using standard A4 corrugated plastic display card to simulate tin sheeting fixed to a series of wooden arch frames. This would be easy to work with and keep the weight to a minimum for lifting. Apart from some problems with the ?No-Nails? type adhesive being useless in the heat of the summer sun and the plywood frame being susceptible to absorbing water following rain it worked well. I therefore dismantled the structure, cleaned and dried everything and then sealed the woodwork with several coats of paint and re-assembled using ?Evostik? ? no problems since!

The following photos show some of the scratch building process. I decided not to build the whole structure as in the prototype, but instead cut holes to take the wooden ?window? shapes with simulated framework. (n.b. the waste material from the opening was re-cut to hold the ?timber? frame in place whilst glueing and subsequently removed)

7d02e9aaa5634f6cab71e781ed813f88.jpg

2f5d8df0ddd14e19a7d47c9afef105e1.jpg

This photo shows the internal arch framework braced at the top by fixing to an old broom handle.

1cc65ad70bae4119a73e74248737f61d.jpg

5cb55bf9793a45e7b282a5cbe88f95a0.jpg

So now to the seasonal trials?? Last Autumn it looked reasonably similar to the Vermont Fall bridge

3be098969c9c41999da60f935bae455b.jpg

And it survived the heavy snowfalls of December 2010.

a23cc1a859524edeb1ee2aa0b316a96d.jpg

Hope to report that is stands up to the hot summer we must be getting this year!!!!

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Cracking idea and it looks well built too

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
exellent mate.....awesome one..yr is better than mine!!! wow....clever idea about lift up...i have tht one too...did make it yrs ago!!!!...just take off and put it back on with bolt on!! now lift up!!! i ave to do it!! good thinking....

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant construction , a work of art :clap:

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
Thanks for your encouraging comments Guys, just hoping that the heat of our summer sun won't warp the roof :rofl:

Best wishes
Rob

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
Thanks for your encouraging comments Guys, just hoping that the heat of our summer sun won't warp the roof :rofl:

Best wishes
Rob
[/quote]
hi u can use shed roof felts on it as u cut the strips and make a row from end to front using ting flat black nails..when it done..varished up on the roof felts!!...like mine..

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
http://www.gscalecentral.net/m46629

hi robmorgan...there u go...see the felts strips?..it from shed roof felts...simple way..i did put it on with glue,nails like a wood claddin..then weatherin the roof and then varished up the whole felts...in easy peasy job....just thought u mite be interesting..up to u...

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
steven large said:
http://www.gscalecentral.net/m46629

hi robmorgan...there u go...see the felts strips?..it from shed roof felts...simple way..i did put it on with glue,nails like a wood claddin..then weatherin the roof and then varished up the whole felts...in easy peasy job....just thought u mite be interesting..up to u...

Thanks again Steve!

Rob

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Rob

Reet good that bridge. I have been toying for over four years about connecting my quarry section with the point to point section across a 2 metere divide either using a lift out (BIG AND HEAVY!) or two swing up/down sections which meet in the middle with 'auto' swing down legs for support at the centre of the divide. Seeing your beautifully executed project has given me more hope that it could indeed be possible and also look good!:clap:

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
beavercreek said:
Hi Rob

Reet good that bridge. I have been toying for over four years about connecting my quarry section with the point to point section across a 2 metere divide either using a lift out (BIG AND HEAVY!) or two swing up/down sections which meet in the middle with 'auto' swing down legs for support at the centre of the divide. Seeing your beautifully executed project has given me more hope that it could indeed be possible and also look good!:clap:
hi beavercreek.......yes i used to have tht before yrs ago with bolts on at the both sides without lifting up!! so im trying to figurin hw will it work by lifting them up...but mine it take off and put it back when i need to go the shed.....

but the main problem it hw will it work if usin a lift up bridge...when put it back as the loco go pass..coz of gap between the tracks like in ho?...if train ran in battery tht ok but if loco ran in electric..it stop?...need wiring at the end of the tracks? what are yr thought?

[attachment deleted by admin]

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi ross u mean flat brass on the end of the tracks so mean when it go down and join it and will work?? like this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
steven large said:
hi ross u mean flat brass on the end of the tracks so mean when it go down and join it and will work?? like this?

Sorry Steven I forgot to mention that I have gone all RC and therefore battery power :confused: I recon that Ross has the ideal answer to your power requirement (better than soldering flexible cable links to the track!)

Rob

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
it ok ross...i dont blame u for this!! u are doing fine.....wink......awesome work!!

beavercreek....thks u for showing me!!!! i didnt realised it!! coz when i put the tracks back on and bolts it and then slide the brass plate onto the tracks like a model kits!!! lol...will sort mine out later sometime depend the good weather!!!!! thks beavercreek for info! aslo what a mind blowing scatchbuiltin a long covered bridge...but one thing what if go derailment inside the covered bridges?.....any suggets?

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
ROSS said:
What Ho Rob. Where you been? Not seen you for some time. (Thread drift):rofl:

Hi Ross, covered quite a lot of ground recently visiting family, drove my own car so didn't need a lift over the Severn bridge (phew that's back safely on thread ) :party:

Happy New Year etc.

Rob

p.s. Thanks Mike Beavercreak for your generous comments! :wave:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
lHow about flat plate brass contacts under bridge track resting on either end track? The weight of the bridge should keep them in contact.
images

That idea works for me. I have a lift-out section in my trailer. I just mangled a couple of rail connectors so the section drops in - it always conducts. The other end just drops onto the baseboard and has no connections because it is at the end of an electrical section - the air gap provides the insulation!

Mick

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely stuff. Just out of curiousity, on the real thing what actually is the reason for making a covered bridge? Seems a lot of extra work. Is it for weather protection?

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
It was used as snow protection and also to give the bridge a little bit of extended life.

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
ntpntpntp said:
Lovely stuff. Just out of curiousity, on the real thing what actually is the reason for making a covered bridge? Seems a lot of extra work. Is it for weather protection?

Thanks!..... when I was considering this bridge last year someone asked the same question so I looked it up on the mostly reliable Wikipedia site......

Regards
Rob

85d91237c86344009123610e53c8dd95.jpg

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
wow didnt know tht!!!! lol....yes tht true tht wot they say about covered bridges so far in usa!! so hw many covered bridges have u got? MINE is 2 covered bridges so far but i have to take the 2nd covered bridges off coz need to make a lift like yr!!!!! mean i can go to the shed with bridge up...not go under it!!!!..