my carpet railway really taking off

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers
my carpet railway is starting to prove very satisfying. my track order should arrive by saturday.
it will allow me to get some tracks underneath my railway operations center. I don't have a whole huge space for lots of structures, but i will take piko buildings and have a "selective compression" technique for must-haves like a goods depot and brick engine house.

the main structure right now in my operations center is my overhead crane and loading buckets. the overhead crane has its own bogies so it can roll down the tracks (over the trains themselves). i have been waiting for some $$ to buy some track, and now i just have to wait a couple more days until it arrives....the gantry crane will finally have some rail to roll along...and i have a spare Stainz engine to push/pull it into position. once i get the tracks in place i will upload some pix...

tom m.

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Tom, you will need a lot of Corpets!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: Alyn

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
themole said:
Tom, you will need a lot of Corpets!!!

I thought it was a Carpet railway?

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers
oh, yes, i did say Carpet not Corpets...although if you wish to donate a Green livery LGB 0-6-0 from meter gauge France I won't refuse...
hey today i went to Train Crossing the BEST G SCALE in California! They are stocked with tons of LGB and PIKO. I got my first ever purchase of 4x Piko brass straight tracks (i have my large order hopefully arriving tomorrow, but i might need some make-ups)
and they had a beloved no-lamps yellow KOF that John graciously charged only $50 for!!! MY FIRST KOF!!!

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers
here is a photo session tonite...note that my railway will never
be completed..thats the fun of it! i didn't get my track order on saturday, it will probably come monday. however, i did manage to get enuff tracks for one spur into the Bahnbetreibwerke.

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers
Howdy! Here is a preliminary shot of the newly re-designed corner section.

The corner mountain has been removed, re-enforced with better materials, and now today the left and right sides will be expanded so the mountain completely "flows" from the left straight section to the right side straight-track section. I just purchased a very-nice NOCH Germany Railway Portal. This puppies retail for over $90 but I got a deal off ebay. However, I could only afford one for now. In any event, today I make the additional "mountain modules" for both sides of the main structure, and when the portal arrives I should be able to apply it immediately to one side.

Also, there is another significant difference about this corner as opposed to all former photographs---the track has been raised and is elevated all the way through the curve. This is so much more satisfying as I lay on the carpet watching my engines with their driving mechanisms, as the increased height allows me to view the wheels better, and its much more prototypical for German mountain lines, which will allow me to have multiple levels of earth for those few future houses down in the "forest valley" or Waldtal.

love=having fun w/ Lehmann!

Tom M.

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers

this is the old version of the track plan, i took the turnout and basically turned it the other way, so the spur track follows the mainline now. the overhead coal bin is located on the mainline and the overhead crane will be in the railway operations center near the mainline. soon i will have another cad plan but i am building the real railway yard so the computer hack can wait!!!

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers
hey gang,

i DID get my track pack...and put down the necessary sections for my Gantry crane....AND...low and behold, my Gantry crane rolls down the two parallel tracks just fine---but not just with my fingers...My beloved little Yellow KOF shunter pushes and pulls it so slow and prototypical its unbelievable! The Yellow KOF--the cheapest little bugger in the total LGB line-up does the job perfectly....take the most rudimentary LGB power and you get truly satisfying action!

I am at Starbux typing this, its around 6 pm my time, I will get home and do a photo shoot of the scene. However, unfortunately i dont have a working video recording device, so it will be a while before i get a good video up on YouTube. But bet your wild Irish hares I WILL HAVE VIDEO SOON, as I am quite proud of this creation!!

Regards,

a Yankee named Tom M

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers
As Promised....here is a small sample of the new mobile Gantry Crane!

Goods Train with Gondola Arrives under the Coal Bin Gantry

In the Yard, the Shunter Starts off from the Spur Track...

Shunter reverses onto the Gantry track and couples to Crane...

Shunter pulls Crane up to Coal Bins...

stay tuned for more!!!