MTS Systems cutting out & not resetting

WhitehouseFilms

Registered
5 Aug 2018
UK
Best answers
For 2 weeks now, my railway has been grounded to a halt by a strange fault with the MTS system. At first, I thought it was the Emergency Stop procedure but when I reset it, it clicked off the whole system. I wasn't sure if this was the transformer that was connected to the digital box or the digital box itself. I disconnected the track leads, as I also thought that maybe it was a short from somewhere and reset the system again, still it clicked off. I then thought it was the transformer and disconnected that from the digital box and tried it. No LED light came on. So I thought that was the issue. Now I have another transformer on my panel which sends power to the points. Now I wasn't using them at the moment so I decided to connect that transformer to the digital box. It too now started to click off. So I'm now wondering if it's the digital box that is the main cause. I felt the wires I connected and both ends felt quite warm so I'm wondering if this is the result of over heating or something. Has anyone ever encountered this before? To be honest I don't know how the system overheated when I only had the 1 train running at the time of the trouble.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
If it cuts out when not connected to the track then that would seem to indicate a problem with the MTS base unit itself. Where has it been stored - hopefully not in an uninsulated shed or garage where it could have become damp over winter?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It could well be the base station.. It will be 'of an age', I would guess?

Could it have got 'baked' in the summer of last year? - It could be the electrolytics are drying out?