MTS Systems cutting out & not resetting

• Thread starter WhitehouseFilms
  • Start date
WhitehouseFilms

WhitehouseFilms

Registered
5 Aug 2018
UK
For 2 weeks now, my railway has been grounded to a halt by a strange fault with the MTS system. At first, I thought it was the Emergency Stop procedure but when I reset it, it clicked off the whole system. I wasn't sure if this was the transformer that was connected to the digital box or the digital box itself. I disconnected the track leads, as I also thought that maybe it was a short from somewhere and reset the system again, still it clicked off. I then thought it was the transformer and disconnected that from the digital box and tried it. No LED light came on. So I thought that was the issue. Now I have another transformer on my panel which sends power to the points. Now I wasn't using them at the moment so I decided to connect that transformer to the digital box. It too now started to click off. So I'm now wondering if it's the digital box that is the main cause. I felt the wires I connected and both ends felt quite warm so I'm wondering if this is the result of over heating or something. Has anyone ever encountered this before? To be honest I don't know how the system overheated when I only had the 1 train running at the time of the trouble.

ntpntpntp

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
If it cuts out when not connected to the track then that would seem to indicate a problem with the MTS base unit itself. Where has it been stored - hopefully not in an uninsulated shed or garage where it could have become damp over winter?

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
It could well be the base station.. It will be 'of an age', I would guess?

Could it have got 'baked' in the summer of last year? - It could be the electrolytics are drying out?