MTS Decoder

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I'm trying to find a 8-24 V dc output on this decoder in my Shoema V14 loco.

I assume it's a LGB 55021 decoder, but would anyone know if there is one before I start checking with my multi-meter.

I don't have any documentation for this decoder....

20230803_122129.jpg

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
It’s an ‘LGB’ onboard decoder, not a 55021. A quick google brings up images and pin outs. No dec+ labelled, but I think the smoke output MAY be dec+ and a switched ground. Never tried it.....usual disclaimer!
There’s also dec+ on the lighting outputs.

Malcolm

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The small blue connectors, go to the auxiliary sockets, for coach lighting etc.

You can use one of these.

PhilP

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys!

The blue connector, with the black and red wires looks like the way to go. I don't use the aux sockets as my coaches pick up from the wheels for lighting....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm, I'm not getting any volts from the blue Aux connector. Tried to see I'd a Function switched it on, tried all from F1 to F16.

I'm trying to power a Fosworks sound module from the Aux feed. I tried a PP3 battery but still no sound.

I was hoping that the Fosworks card would work, but I might have a faulty one....

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm, I'm not getting any volts from the blue Aux connector. Tried to see I'd a Function switched it on, tried all from F1 to F16.

I'm trying to power a Fosworks sound module from the Aux feed. I tried a PP3 battery but still no sound.

I was hoping that the Fosworks card would work, but I might have a faulty one....
What sort (and vintage) of card?

You need a dob of volts on a motor connection, as well as (correct polarity) power.

PhilP

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
What sort (and vintage) of card?

You need a dob of volts on a motor connection, as well as (correct polarity) power.

PhilP
It's a MYLOCOSOUND 20 D Light diesel which I was originally going to fit in the Piko 20 dinner track cleaner, but there isn't much room to play with, so I thought I'd fit it in a Schoema Shunter.

It has inputs from the motor and battery +&- screw terminals. I thought I could power the card from the Aux feed

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It's a MYLOCOSOUND 20 D Light diesel which I was originally going to fit in the Piko 20 dinner track cleaner, but there isn't much room to play with, so I thought I'd fit it in a Schoema Shunter.

It has inputs from the motor and battery +&- screw terminals. I thought I could power the card from the Aux feed
Gizzy have you looked at the fitting of a MLS card to DCC chip, not quite as you say so far as I can see. Hope I am not upsetting M Moonraker by including this extract from the MLS instructions.
image.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Cranford

Theatre, Model railroads, GCR
29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
I'm trying to find a 8-24 V dc output on this decoder in my Shoema V14 loco.

I assume it's a LGB 55021 decoder, but would anyone know if there is one before I start checking with my multi-meter.

I don't have any documentation for this decoder....

View attachment 316680
You have to connect the sound card to the output that goes to the motor , there is not a variable output on any decoder, the voltages are all set via an appropriate cv. You have no control over the sound card. to do that you need a sound decoder module.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hullo Tony,

yes I've connected both the motor feed and a fixed voltage (both a PP3 battery and from the decoder Aux feed) to the MLS card inputs IAW the instructions as seen on Dunny's post.

I get a feint clicking on the Fosworks supplied speaker sometimes.

I'll investigate further today....

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A few 'gotchas' :

The metal 'paddles' (in the screw-terminal connectors) go upwards when you tighten the screws. - Make sure the wire is above the metal part, before tightening.

Faint clicks, is usually too low a supply voltage, but I would test the card standalone first. - Minimum to get sound, is a speaker, 9V battery, then touch between battery positive and either motor connection. You can use the tips of your pliers, tweezers, or bent paperclip for this.
You should hear the motor sound.

The auxiliary socket is (in effect) track power, but this being a later decoder, there may be more to it than that? - Without a full schematic, we are guessing a little.

PhilP

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
A few 'gotchas' :

The metal 'paddles' (in the screw-terminal connectors) go upwards when you tighten the screws. - Make sure the wire is above the metal part, before tightening.

Faint clicks, is usually too low a supply voltage, but I would test the card standalone first. - Minimum to get sound, is a speaker, 9V battery, then touch between battery positive and either motor connection. You can use the tips of your pliers, tweezers, or bent paperclip for this.
You should hear the motor sound.

The auxiliary socket is (in effect) track power, but this being a later decoder, there may be more to it than that? - Without a full schematic, we are guessing a little.

PhilP
Thanks Phil,

I was aware of the screw terminal 'gotcha'.

I've re-instated the loco back to how it was, and I'm going to bench test the MLS card using a battery and a spare LGB controller later this afternoon, as you have now suggested....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I connected the MLS card to a LGB 50083 controller I normally use with a wheel brush, to simulate a LGB motor.

I still get the clicking.

So I checked both PP3 batteries I'd used for testing. 9V off load, but 4V when connected to the card?

I wonder if this is my problem? They are old PP3s, but seemed to be charged....