MOW Snow plow mk3.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
My first post in I think about 3 months?Winter draws on and all previous plows before that the railroad had have now all gone in one wreck or garage shelf fall apart from the factory mounted on the LGB Alco (WP&Y) so I decided to look to see what old scraps of styrene sheet,rod ,bar and so on were in the large bag in the garage.An old Rogers tender was spare so something built up on that would do nicely as very short wheelbase.I based it on the RGS 02/03 plows as I like the shape.

The car is a simple box with a removable roof to add weight when working the car and I managed to fit a rear panel from a Bachmann JS passenger car as by then the styrene sheet was running out!!!!!!,the blade is laminated for strength and the non working headlight is again Bachmann from the scrap box.So far track testing by hand pushing allows clearance around the layout so all good there,First coat paint now on and as can be seen in the pics a fair bit of tidying up of paint lines around the windows and so on needs doing,the lettering will be faded back with a car colour wash coat before weathering.Nothing flash or fancy as very little used once finished.IMG_20201219_093328.jpg
IMG_20201219_093328.jpgIMG_20201219_093259.jpgIMG_20201219_093116.jpgIMG_20201219_093415.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Removable Roofs are always a little bit of a. Issue but I think you have shown a good way with something protruding down. Could be hidden near non window areas I. A coach or dead easy as you have done with your plow. Gone into the memory box.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Removable Roofs are always a little bit of a. Issue but I think you have shown a good way with something protruding down. Could be hidden near non window areas I. A coach or dead easy as you have done with your plow. Gone into the memory box.
Hi Jon, the roof is designed to come off if the car derails and falls on its side as I am using loose rocks to weigh the car in operating conditions,the theory is if the rocks move the roof comes off and this should and I say should not damage the body,if the car stays upright after a wreck there should be no problem,the outside top board fitted to the roof section is "mirrored" on the inside also which then makes a nice firm fit over all the car sides.The drops made from plasticard to slide down the inside of the car gives it all a little more rigidity and of course something to hold while brush painting the roof.;)All the windows are blanked and painted black as no reason to see inside and makes the sides more rigid,this is probably as clear as mud but its why I chose a loose roof.Time will tell if my theory works!!!!!!!:D:D:D
Next weekend no work so will try and finish it off.

Reactions: 1 users

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Finally got around to finishing this off as snow was forecast last week but never happened well at least here!!,All the paint lines were sorted out to crisper line,the blade was second coated black the car then had a thin wash coat of body colour to tone back the lettering then once dry a very thin wash coat of sand applied,some rust added then two quick passes with dark brown rattle can along the lower sides,rear and blade and one single pass over the roof ,all I need now is some snow!!!!!!:nod::nod:IMG_20210110_154445.jpgIMG_20210110_154751.jpgIMG_20210110_155937.jpgIMG_20210110_160027.jpg
:nod:;);););)

Reactions: 1 user

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well the snow came and the plow had its first test and all went well,the snow was turning to rain and so the snow was turning wet and heavy but the plow did its job,I should have used a larger loco but the Stainz was handy and coped well,I wanted to use my Alco but too far under too many boxes to dig out,the light was not good for pics and I wanted to take before the battery gave up so the pic taken just after I started.I cleared the outer loop and the track was ready for trains but too wet and cold to run anything more than the light loco for a couple of circuits.IMG_20210124_125816.jpg