Motorised steam shovel

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Okay, in truth I'm only partially motorising it and as you've probably correctly surmised it's definitely a steam shovel and not sadly a steam powered shovel :p

Like most steam powered things however, it's progressing quite slowly

It's certainly starting to look like a shovel though.
20210117_231332.jpg20210117_231311.jpg20210117_231252.jpg20210117_231235.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
That corrugated roof has come out very nicely.

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
It has... There's something pleasing about looking at the shape too :) It printed without supports as the overhang is very gradual

Reactions: 1 user

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I need to learn how to paint/weather 3d prints properly now. I suspect the key is in the sanding prep work...

On of things the things I keep thinking I must try is spraying a dullcoat straight over the top, to loose the sheen and see how the filament colour changes

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I need to learn how to paint/weather 3d prints properly now. I suspect the key is in the sanding prep work...

On of things the things I keep thinking I must try is spraying a dullcoat straight over the top, to loose the sheen and see how the filament colour changes
Have you tried etching primer?

Tain't cheap, but I've used it on many surfaces - it's meant to etch metal of course :nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Have you tried etching primer?

Tain't cheap, but I've used it on many surfaces - it's meant to etch metal of course :nod::nod:
I'll give it a try.
I'd imagine filler primer works quite well at hiding some of the smaller layer artifacts but with the inevitable risk to details.

I feel a period of YouTube studying and experimentation needs putting in the diary, to narrow down the best approach :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'll give it a try.
I'd imagine filler primer works quite well at hiding some of the smaller layer artifacts but with the inevitable risk to details.

I feel a period of YouTube studying and experimentation needs putting in the diary, to narrow down the best approach :)
well, there are two different aspects - and I'm only an observer, I haven't painted a 3D item.

One is getting the surface flat after the printing; the other is getting paint to adhere.

Etching primer won't help with the first issue, only the second :oops:

Having said that, your finished surfaces look pretty good - I mean, you're exposing any imperfections by some very close-up photography

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Abrade the surfaces of the 3D printed components lightly with some wet & dry. Then apply filler or high build primer. You will need several coats to overcome the stratification lines on the printed part. Yes, if you have fine detail there is a risk you will obliterate it with this method but that is deal with 3D prints - quick to print low res' and low cost or slow to print and more expensive materials for high res'. There is another method using a solvent to "melt" the stratification lines. Solvent used is dependent on material. Do not try heat. I cannot recommend etch primers on plastic, use a specific plastic primer first then overcoat with the filler primer. Max

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
On my PDF kit I've used Halfords plastic filler primer, it seems to have worked alright, any problem would probably be down to me

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I cannot recommend etch primers on plastic,
Yes, I can understand that - I fell into the habit of using it on any and every type of surface.

It hasn't let me down yet ................ :worried::worried::worried:

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
It's looking really impressive already, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun when it is finished. I've been trying to plan out a steam crane build, I think I might be able to repurpose a few of the bits for that, suitably rescaled.

I can also vouch for Halfords' filler and plain primers. I would usually give the raw print a good sanding first to remove any defects or high spots. Then fill in the printing striations with the filler primer. Definitely a lot easier than trying to sand the plastic back to flat :eek: