Motion Activated Sound Modules

kajohnson9

Registered
24 Apr 2020
Uath
Best answers
Country flag
I am looking for a sound module where I can copy an MP3 recording onto that can be activated using a motion sensor. I would like to be powered by 7 to 24VDC or so so I can drive it from track power. I used to use G-Scale Graphics modules but is no longer selling them due to part supply issues. Does anyone have a recommendation where I can find some?

Thanks,
Keith Johnson

Reactions: 1 user

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I am looking for a sound module where I can copy an MP3 recording onto that can be activated using a motion sensor. I would like to be powered by 7 to 24VDC or so so I can drive it from track power. I used to use G-Scale Graphics modules but is no longer selling them due to part supply issues. Does anyone have a recommendation where I can find some?

Thanks,
Keith Johnson
Hi Keith. I am looking for something like this also. AJ the Teacher

Degauss

Registered
9 Jun 2017
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Keith. I am looking for something like this also. AJ the Teacher
How much electrical work do you can you do?

has methods of playing a track on the sd card at the press of a button, see circuit.
Find "DFPlayer Mini" on ebay. Mine cost me AU $3.28.
It requires 5volts so would need a usb power or a Step Down Power Supply
DC-DC 12-24V To 5V Step Down Power Supply [AU $7.99]
The output from the chip is only 1/4w so may need to add an audio amplifier module eg 30w Class D Power Amplifier Board [$10 8-26V]https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2038287...nSeCHnh2pTsilv1Xc%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675

1667211356722.png

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
How much electrical work do you can you do?

has methods of playing a track on the sd card at the press of a button, see circuit.
Find "DFPlayer Mini" on ebay. Mine cost me AU $3.28.
It requires 5volts so would need a usb power or a Step Down Power Supply
DC-DC 12-24V To 5V Step Down Power Supply [AU $7.99]
The output from the chip is only 1/4w so may need to add an audio amplifier module eg 30w Class D Power Amplifier Board [$10 8-26V]https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/203828754593?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20201210111451&meid=5d28746b473342ef8d30da1e539f966f&pid=101196&rk=2&rkt=2&sd=364031708713&itm=203828754593&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bAndUBSourceDemotionWithUltimatelyBoughtOfCoviewV1&brand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c101196.m2219&amdata=cksum:2038287545935d28746b473342ef8d30da1e539f966f|enc:AQAHAAABMIep8YrnpoI5Ip1Fr26ya5Zdwg2V78Yl01uYLsdPZcFTvxKxDts2M2LiSIpUM3yyPCg4I%2FI%2F%2BBr%2B3lbC%2BxYqInYGBmzIxc4EMw3YF0EDxTKyPL1zfCq3E2sy0eWOep%2FDa7SyVQtaMEauURnulqS4U2r45uZYiyhlqqeBElcbeA8dJOR6vJ%2B%2BzS9FBEaOb4JQm%2B4bjM2JEnPDOhgy%2BK05TkGgekl7tfuN%2BH2rIPbSdAusvyQHX9ZwfwzMVOrp1nhIBvNgHn5i1o0V%2Fk%2Fk2StqQLZvftXxl0aCLUgy5DWI5S7WTptZ2fVMEhRKhPPodLRK2DnZGGmW1M9ZWjIa2EZ3Ao6p87ve1iKLu1gg9M87uOWS%2BiT2NH%2FInLtzhCXTmzAC1XQizonSeCHnh2pTsilv1Xc%3D|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:2047675

View attachment 305982
Thanks Degauss! I dabble in electronics. I have passed the test (certified) For DC electric trouble shooting on Small Engine Repair items (that and $1 plus tax will get you coffee) and I trouble shoot wiring harnesses and simple systems regularly. I do my own repair on my own electronics for my trains. But if I take my time I can solder and build up stuff. I would say “novice”. Thanks. AJ the Teacher

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
QSI used to do, many years ago, 'Live Action' sounds boards.
These were produced to fit into 'O' scale cars/wagons.
They were battery (PP3) driven and had various individual digitally recorded sounds that were 'initiated' by the car/wagon jostling as it rolled along.
They used an ingenious pendulum contact system to randomly trigger the individual sounds.
Each board was dedicated to an animal such as cows, horses, pigs, chickens, turkeys, circus etc and had different digital recordings of each animal in question .
Some animals had three different boards with variations (there were 4 Cow boards) so that a stock car train could have a very realistic string of cars all mooing as it there was quite a collection of beasts.
The boards would also produce sounds when idle but less frenetically than when on the move. The 'horses' ones were particularly well differentiated for idle or moving.
There was even one with the sounds of breaking cargo like glass or steel rumbling around.

I have used the different QSI 'cow' boards with voltage 'buckers' in cooperation with wheel pickups to drop the track voltage to 9v instead of using batteries in a string of stock cars.

I am sure that a similar pendulum system could easily be rigged up to be used for 'initiating' different sounds on another type of sound board/device.

QSI.jpeg

1667240529477.png

1667242765463.png

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
QSI used to do, many years ago, 'Live Action' sounds boards.
These were produced to fit into 'O' scale cars/wagons.
They were battery (PP3) driven and had various individual digitally recorded sounds that were 'initiated' by the car/wagon jostling as it rolled along.
They used an ingenious pendulum contact system to randomly trigger the individual sounds.
Each board was dedicated to an animal such as cows, horses, pigs, chickens, turkeys, circus etc and had different digital recordings of each animal in question .
Some animals had three different boards with variations (there were 4 Cow boards) so that a stock car train could have a very realistic string of cars all mooing as it there was quite a collection of beasts.
The boards would also produce sounds when idle but less frenetically than when on the move. The 'horses' ones were particularly well differentiated for idle or moving.
There was even one with the sounds of breaking cargo like glass or steel rumbling around.

I have used the different QSI 'cow' boards with voltage 'buckers' in cooperation with wheel pickups to drop the track voltage to 9v instead of using batteries in a string of stock cars.

I am sure that a similar pendulum system could easily be rigged up to be used for 'initiating' different sounds on another type of sound board/device.

View attachment 305998

View attachment 305996

View attachment 305999
Many moons ago I had a similar system used for a chuff, there was a wire sticking out of the bottom of the wagon it lived in. This used to sound a whistle every time the wiRe got hit by a rail at a point (switch).

CurtisRoecks

Registered
2 Nov 2022
Fallbrook
Best answers
Country flag
I have a mine and farm on my RR and use these modules. You can find sounds online and just download the mp3s into these modules. For some sounds, I used YouTube videos and just record the sounds with Audacity. I recorded a 20-minute mp3 with "nothing" that plays between the sounds. For example, there are a bunch of cows making some noise and 20 minutes later a tractor starts up, and 20 minutes later some chickens, etc.
These are the units. I use the one with onboard memory since the sound files are not very long. There is also a version with a TF card which can be hours of sounds if you want that. They have a 5-volt version and one that takes up to 30 volts or so. I use the latter with track power. It has an onboard 20W amplifier which is very loud. Thankfully there is a dial to turn the volume down..

You could also turn on the units with a motion sensor. I have used these motion sensors and they work quite well with track power.

Last edited:

Degauss

Registered
9 Jun 2017
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I have a mine and farm on my RR and use these modules..........

Thanks for that info.
Better than my offering, the DY-SV17F is only AU $7.52 which is cheaper than just the amplifier card I use and I don't need to buy a SD card.

CurtisRoecks

Registered
2 Nov 2022
Fallbrook
Best answers
Country flag
If you use Aliexpress these are even less expensive. I put some of the smaller 5V units in my locomotives also. There is a YouTube video of a full-size Stainz where I recorded the sound and downloaded it onto the card. Using Audaicity the chuff sounds are repeated over and over. It's very fun having the sound from the real locomotive.