In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Fellow G Scale Enthusiasts!

I am trying to put together an inexpensive system to activate the horn and bells on my Phoenix Diesel Big Sound 97 board. A reed switch would work but I just want to activate the horn when I wish on my attic layout (I can run 5 trains at once on track power and being in a climate controlled attic is nice in hot, cold or inclement weather.) but I wanted enough range that if/when I have another garden railroad that I could still cover a fair sized back yard.

I purchased an inexpensive wireless set up with a hand held remote. A DC 5v 6-Channel Wireless Relay RF Switch Remote Control Switch Module Receiver off of eBay. It works well. The hand held controller uses a 12 volt battery and the receiver uses 5 volts. I tested the outputs and I am pleased with the remote and little receiver.

The Phoenix horn and bells can be activated by a Reed switch or simply by jumpering across from horn/bell output to ground. The Phoenix registers 5 volts output at the horn or bell output. The wireless receiver also has 5 volts at it's output. I think that I need a simple small 5 volt relay to go from the little receiver to allow the 5 volt circuit at the Phoenix Diesel Big Sound to activate. (To go between the Receiver and the Phoenix) I would like advice/a recommendation on what inexpensive relays (I figure that I need two, one for the horn and one for the bell.) that I can hopefully use. I will only be putting 5 volts through them and just need the relay to complete the circuit to allow the 5 volts on the Phoenix Big Sound to activate the horn or bell.

Please excuse my ignorance or lack of terminology of relays and these systems. I am trying to give as much information as I can to help out with any advice.

Thanks. Try to enjoy your Large Scale Trains today. AJ the teacher

Attachments

• DC 5v 6-Channel Wireless Relay RF Switch Remote Control Switch Module Receiver.jpg
    DC 5v 6-Channel Wireless Relay RF Switch Remote Control Switch Module Receiver.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Phoenix The Big Sound Diesel 97 Alco with Receiver.jpg
    Phoenix The Big Sound Diesel 97 Alco with Receiver.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
AJ,

All you need to do is get some simple single pole relays. - I would like a link to the wireless kit?

On the phoenix card:
There is a common connection for the sound-triggers and you connect this to the sound you want.
This will keep the differing supply voltages away from each other, and give you control.
(I think I could have worded that better) :think:

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
AJ,

All you need to do is get some simple single pole relays. - I would like a link to the wireless kit?

On the phoenix card:
There is a common connection for the sound-triggers and you connect this to the sound you want.
This will keep the differing supply voltages away from each other, and give you control.
(I think I could have worded that better) :think:

PhilP
Thanks PhilP!

Last edited:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
inexpensive relays
To turn off sounds, etc., on one of my r/c rigs, I used a "reed relay" which is a reed switch encased in a coil. Mine came from Radio Shack and this is 5V 0.5A SPST.

02750232_00_46300bc6-d5b6-46d2-9fef-ccade5f3f352_720x.jpg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
For you tech's out there the 55451 and 55452 IC's which have 2 sets of 2 input pins and 2 output open collectors. Much less power drawn than a relay coil.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
That is a solid state power buffer... depends on the case you have. Often a relay is used to isolate 2 different circuits which may not have same logic levels or ever share a common ground.

If using a reed relay, be sure you do not exceed the current rating of your driving electronics, and also put a snubber diode across the coil.

Greg