More figures for the CFR.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I do exactly the same. I have three bottles of thinners for the gloss, satin and Matt. I use a different bottle of thinners for thinning paints. I will be applying a Matt varnish to the finished figures.
I will be painting the next batch of figures with acrylics for a change.
I have never used acrylics at least by brush but rattle cans seem to be acrylics now,I always think I will try some each time I visit the model shop but always end up with walking away with enamels,force of habbit I suppose.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have never used acrylics at least by brush but rattle cans seem to be acrylics now,I always think I will try some each time I visit the model shop but always end up with walking away with enamels,force of habbit I suppose.
Been using Acrylics for most painting quite a few years now, though some of my others get used for idd cases, my recent Signal Repaints used Humbrol Enamels.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I mainly used acrylics, mainly because they're fast drying and easy to clean up afterwards. They seem fine on my figures that are left outside for most of the year

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve retrieved my acrylics from the workshop and I also went to the local model shop to purchase more.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Another batch of figures have arrived from Roundhouse Engineering. I will get stuck into them this weekend. I’m looking forward to using the acrylics on these figures.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Personally I put all my enamels in the recycling container about 15 years ago when I started airbrushing. It is a job to clean acrylics if they dry on the needle but I reckoned enamels would block the needle needing a new one and possibly a replacement airbrush. The only times acrylics seem to lose out is brush painting onto metal, but several thin coats usually gets there.

Reactions: 1 user

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Personally I put all my enamels in the recycling container about 15 years ago when I started airbrushing. It is a job to clean acrylics if they dry on the needle but I reckoned enamels would block the needle needing a new one and possibly a replacement airbrush. The only times acrylics seem to lose out is brush painting onto metal, but several thin coats usually gets there.
I have been donated two airbrush sets. I haven’t got around to using them yet.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I have been donated two airbrush sets. I haven’t got around to using them yet.
Try them Casey, I think the results wii surprise you, but remember if airbrushihng acrylics you will almost certainly need a couple of coats, the good news is the airbrushed acrylics dry pretty well straight away so if doing a loco or wagon when you finish the second side the first is ready for the next go! The overspray on your fingers will testify to that (a decent nail brush and warm water is all that is needed to make you presentable again).
The even better news is that acrylics as opposed to enamels only need a thin coat, so if you aren't happy do it again wihout losing any detail on the model.

Reactions: 1 users

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve retrieved my acrylics from the workshop and I also went to the local model shop to purchase more.
I think my problem is a I`m a little wary of acrylics left outside so keep using enamels,it maybe time to do some experiments on what the guys are saying on here,one thing that appeals more than anything is the quick drying time;)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I think my problem is a I`m a little wary of acrylics left outside so keep using enamels,it maybe time to do some experiments on what the guys are saying on here,one thing that appeals more than anything is the quick drying time;)
My figures & buildings are painted with acrylics, they seem fine after a few years outside, a big grubby, but that's 1:1 weathering

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Normally the acrylics, once properly dried, can take a bashing off the weather. If, however, you spent ages painting up a special model then give it a coat of acrylic matt varnish, again by airbrush rather than canned. I find canned comes out at too high a pressure leaving drips and runs, the airbrush can be set to a lower, finer spray.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
One of my figures on the CFR, which was painted with Tamiya Acrylics over 20 years ago is still in pretty good nick. The paint has faded but there is no peeling or chipping.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
These two buildings both Tom Cooper pottery ones have been painted with Rowney acrylics since new back in the late 80’s. Both have had two refresher coats the latest in the last year or so. I reckon that is pretty good going.2B2586C3-0FB3-4F7C-8601-AB58296F321D.jpeg24C4EF01-9EF2-49A3-85CB-54A385E9AE2C.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
One of my figures on the CFR, which was painted with Tamiya Acrylics over 20 years ago is still in pretty good nick. The paint has faded but there is no peeling or chipping.
I think it may be time to experiment,after all thinking about it my car sports acrylic paint;) and that spends it`s life outside!!!!!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Just remember most cars have a UV protecting clear-coat over the top.. - Used to be only 'metalics' in my days of spraying my own cars..

Red STILL fades badly, and the clear-coat to paint bond is not good with red. - Guess who's car is a shade of 'red'? :(:rolleyes:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
My Smart is a red and black one. It sits outside 24/7/365 and though much of the red is a sort of plastic there has been no change if colour in the 9 years that I have had it. Though that could be aided by the fact that I hardly clean it so perhaps the layer of muck is a protector.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just remember most cars have a UV protecting clear-coat over the top.. - Used to be only 'metalics' in my days of spraying my own cars..

Red STILL fades badly, and the clear-coat to paint bond is not good with red. - Guess who's car is a shade of 'red'? :(:rolleyes:
Nope can`t think ,do tell:giggle: