Mooseville & Rio Grande

mrcheddar

American Railroads, Swiss Railways, Travel
15 Mar 2013
Burgdorf, Switzerland
Best answers
Country flag
I have been lurking here in the background since 2013. Back then I lived in a flat, I had my trains on a table, and I dreamed about having a garden railway. I read garden railway forums and magazines, joined a G-scale club and visited as many garden railways as I could.

In 2016 things started happening. After years of planning, saving and waiting, I was able to start building my garden railway, along with the remodeling of a little old house. My main theme is American Railroads, in particular the Rio Grande Narrow Gauge Railways, in the scale 1: 20,3. But I also really love our local RhB Railways. I just couldn't decide, so I run both. My trains run through Colorado and Graubünden. In this thread I will start at the beginning and document the last two and half years of building the railway, up to the present day.

Mooseville? That could be Colorado, and sound like the place where I live.

The garden railroad runs round the house in the form of an 8. The dotted line is Phase 2, completed in 2018. In the shed I converted a garage into a storage yard and workshop converted. The trains run down a long ramp into the garden.

Plan Gartenbahn V1.1.jpg

I use LGB and Thiel switches / points with an R5 radius or larger. The maximum gradient is 2%. I run track power and DCC, with a Massoth DCC unit and Massoth wireless hand held controllers.

In the years of planning I drew the whole railway in 3D, using the free Sketchup software:

bKbdIw.jpg

In August 2016 the remodeling of the house started. Among other things, a heat pump heater was installed in the shed, making a ditch between the two buildings necessary. Since construction workers and excavators were already on site, I commission them with some railway construction.

Breaking ground:

IMG_5067.JPG

In front of the house we started on a raised platform for the station and the town site. The platform is about 11 meters long and 2.5 meters wide:

Import Oktober 114.JPG

Part of the platform has a concrete surface with very slight incline, to drain off rainwater. This area will be for the street and buildings. The other part is filled with gravel, where the rail yard is going to be, with a coaling tower and a engine shed . The gravel allows for spontaneous changes.

IMG_5542.JPG

In early 2017, I started work on the storage yard inside the garage, on a purpose built table, about 30 cm off the ground. Any higher, and the gradient down into the garden would be too steep.

lTKXkt.jpg

IMG_9286.JPG

More in the next installment. Watch this space! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
You are a patient man and that is one well planned project. Nicely done.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Wow - what else is there to say

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I want a garage-block like that ! :envy::envy::envy: :(:nod::nod:

All I need to do.. Is move the house (and next door + new extension) two-feet to the left. - I could get the car into the back garden / new garage then..
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Reactions: 1 users

mrcheddar

15 Mar 2013
Burgdorf, Switzerland
Best answers
Country flag
Building the line down into the garden started in the spring of 2017. A concrete embankment was needed for the first few meters:
Raus aus dem Haus - 2_Gefaelle.JPG
This is my 2% spirit level. It is one meter long, and raised 2 centimeters at one end. When it shows level, the grade is exactly 2%.

Formwork:
IMG_6455.JPG

Pouring concrete:
IMG_6458.JPG

The finished embankment:
IMG_6483.JPG

The long straight substructure for the track (right) was built during the renovation work.

In the garden a foundation for the track bed was created by the builders during the construction work. Case material was placed about 30cm down in the ground and compacted with a tamper. Then gravel was poured on top of that as a substructure for lawn edging stones.
IMG_6777.JPG
May 2017: laying the edging stones:
IMG_6873.JPG

May 2017: Some of the track is layed:
IMG_6957.JPG
IMG_7176.JPG

The tracks are made of stainless steel, and stay silver and shiny. I cover the rail head with masking tape , treat the tracks with metal primer and spray them brown so they look pretty old.

July 2017: The rails reach the site of the town, just like in the Old West:
IMG_7326.jpg

The curved switch is made by Thiel.

End of July 2017: Laying track on the raised plattform, with a little help from my friends.
IMG_7387.JPG

Next was the bridge over the cutting, where the track crosses over it's self in the center of the figure 8.
IMG_7172.JPG
IMG_7617.JPG
The panels are sort of stone composite, used for roofing tiles and building siding. The trade name is "Eternit". They can be cut with a grinder.

August 2017: The main line runs through the station.
IMG_7635.JPG

And this is what it will look like when finished.
rail yard.png
As of February 2019, only the engine shed is missing...

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have been lurking here in the background since 2013. Back then I lived in a flat, I had my trains on a table, and I dreamed about having a garden railway. I read garden railway forums and magazines, joined a G-scale club and visited as many garden railways as I could.

In 2016 things started happening. After years of planning, saving and waiting, I was able to start building my garden railway, along with the remodeling of a little old house. My main theme is American Railroads, in particular the Rio Grande Narrow Gauge Railways, in the scale 1: 20,3. But I also really love our local RhB Railways. I just couldn't decide, so I run both. My trains run through Colorado and Graubünden. In this thread I will start at the beginning and document the last two and half years of building the railway, up to the present day.

Mooseville? That could be Colorado, and sound like the place where I live.

The garden railroad runs round the house in the form of an 8. The dotted line is Phase 2, completed in 2018. In the shed I converted a garage into a storage yard and workshop converted. The trains run down a long ramp into the garden.

View attachment 248144

I use LGB and Thiel switches / points with an R5 radius or larger. The maximum gradient is 2%. I run track power and DCC, with a Massoth DCC unit and Massoth wireless hand held controllers.

In the years of planning I drew the whole railway in 3D, using the free Sketchup software:

View attachment 248145

In August 2016 the remodeling of the house started. Among other things, a heat pump heater was installed in the shed, making a ditch between the two buildings necessary. Since construction workers and excavators were already on site, I commission them with some railway construction.

Braking ground:

View attachment 248146

In front of the house we started on a raised platform for the station and the town site. The platform is about 11 meters long and 2.5 meters wide:

View attachment 248147

Part of the platform has a concrete surface with very slight incline, to drain off rainwater. This area will be for the street and buildings. The other part is filled with gravel, where the rail yard is going to be, with a coaling tower and a engine shed . The gravel allows for spontaneous changes.

View attachment 248148

In early 2017, I started work on the storage yard inside the garage, on a purpose built table, about 30 cm off the ground. Any higher, and the gradient down into the garden would be too steep.

View attachment 248149

View attachment 248150

More in the next installment. Watch this space! :)
Very nice, only issue that I can see is the inability to get back into the Garage Storage Area quickly with your stock if it started to rain heavily or just to get things back indoors will all require the Loco to be moved to the other end of the Train. We call it a Run-Round in UK. A Ballon Loop round the Left Side Tree Erdeschoss if possible would facilitate that plus quickly giving you an option to have Trains Running in the opposite direction on Running Sessions.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Oh gosh, just look at that Double Slip! Must be a Thiel one....

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
D&RGW, 1:20.3, well engineered & creative layout, some serious indoor storage, what's not to like ? And a a double slip, I likes a double slip. Moe please.

I'd say looking at the pitch of those roofs the problem round there is snow not rain Jon. All the more reason to invest in a plow and do some more running. Max

mrcheddar

15 Mar 2013
Burgdorf, Switzerland
Best answers
Country flag
Damn fine...an excellent job ...... only the mildest envy do I feel...:envy::envy: :D:D

You have a damn fine railroad, and are one of my inspirations! I love all your pictures on facebook. I hope I get to your level of detail one day.

mrcheddar

15 Mar 2013
Burgdorf, Switzerland
Best answers
Country flag
What type of bridges are you going to have ?

The base of the bridges is made with the stone sheeting. The railing should look something like this:
IMG_5919.JPG
I am not sure how I am going to get the railings looking just like this. With all the rivets, too! :D
I took this picture on the East Broad Top Railroad, the last year they were operating.

mrcheddar

15 Mar 2013
Burgdorf, Switzerland
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice, only issue that I can see is the inability to get back into the Garage Storage Area quickly with your stock if it started to rain heavily or just to get things back indoors will all require the Loco to be moved to the other end of the Train. We call it a Run-Round in UK. A Ballon Loop round the Left Side Tree Erdeschoss if possible would facilitate that plus quickly giving you an option to have Trains Running in the opposite direction on Running Sessions.

I know, it's not optimal. I am thinking about a loop somewhere on the layout, maybe a Why near the upper left corner of the garage. The line is actually a meter off the ground at the 'Erdgeschoss" tree. Pictures of this part will follow.
I leave all the trains as they are, and don't do run-rounds. Some trains I have to back up into the garage, some trains I back down onto the layout.

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
The base of the bridges is made with the stone sheeting. The railing should look something like this:
View attachment 248276
I am not sure how I am going to get the railings looking just like this. With all the rivets, too! :D
I took this picture on the East Broad Top Railroad, the last year they were operating.
Check out Burl's site. : Riveted Bridge Girders

mrcheddar

15 Mar 2013
Burgdorf, Switzerland
Best answers
Country flag

mrcheddar

15 Mar 2013
Burgdorf, Switzerland
Best answers
Country flag
Next installment in the building saga. In the autumn of 2017, I got the bridges over the cutting done.

IMG_8229.JPG
The spur in the top right corner will be the loco shed.

Tunnel view:
IMG_8232.JPG

As 2017 drew to a close, I unpacked something I had had in storage for several years:
IMG_9712.JPG

and assembled it:
IMG_9721.JPG

It's an Otto Hopman bridge. Mr. Hopman from Germany makes them to order. He has lots of models to choose from.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

mrcheddar

15 Mar 2013
Burgdorf, Switzerland
Best answers
Country flag
May 2018: Things started happening in the garden! Two bewildered builders showed up, and had to be told by their boss that I was not crazy and that it would be no problem. Their boss is a fellow model railroader and now a friend of mine. He models HO in is garage. He understood what I was after and could upscale HO modeling to concrete, gravel and earth. He was invaluable throughout this project.

The builders set to work on the High Line, a raised strech of track about 15meters long. The core is made of lean concrete, lean because it has less cement in it and can be taken down with a mallet when I am dead and gone, and the next owners of the property want to get rid of the stuff in the garden. ;)

The form work for the High Line:
IMG_0356.JPG

Pouring the lean concrete:
IMG_0360.JPG
The sewer pipe is holding several electrical pipes.

IMG_0401.JPG

I found this special slate in a quarry in eastern Switzerland. The stone is Verrucano, and only showes up in very few places in the Alps, where the tectonic plates of Europe and Africa collide, and rock normally deep in the earth rose to the surface.
The builders started having fun and arranged the slabs of slate to resemble a mountain range. They got really in to it.

Here the highline is still incomplete, first test with a passenger car. The green line will be where the track goes.
IMG_0438.JPG

Watch this space for the next installment...

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Superb! Eagerly awaiting the next instalment.