Miniature Motor Question

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Can this motor be operated without the stepper feature ?

DC5V GA12BY15 Step Stepping Stepper Motor Gear Motor with All-Metal Gearbox

s-l1600.jpgs-l16001.jpg

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I don't believe so. Stepper motors need to be driven by specific electronics.

There are plenty of straight forward DC motors with gearboxes like that on ebay etc. Depends what you need it for?

s-l1600.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Stepper motors have 4 wires as does the one in your photo Dan.

They work differently to a conventional motor, in so much as they can be positioned at a particular point/angle, where as a normal motor rotates constantly....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What the others have said..

Stepper motors are used in things like computer controlled routers, 3D printers, and (flat-bed) plotters..

Special electronics is used to drive the motor is small 'steps', and they are designed to have very little backlash and can be held in position with great precision and force.
For the latter, they tend to use quite a bit of power.

By telling the electronics (a stepper-motor driver) to step continuously, you can get continuous rotary motion. The problem comes when you want to run slowly, as the motor 'steps' at an ever slower rate, until you notice the motion is a series of small discrete 'jerks'.

Hope that helps?
PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Actually stepper motors can rotate continuously.

I'd stick with stepper motors move in discrete increments/steps, powered by a controller.

Conventional motors are designed to move in continuous rotation.

(it used to be that steppers were the kings of positioning, but they have been overtaken in the most part with a servo motor (high torque) with an encoder disk to tell "where you are".... steppers have to start from a "reset point" and "count" their way to an absolute position.

Greg

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
As in continuous rotation with the ability of Forward & Reverse as in a conventional DC motor, well the answer to that is yes, although it does involve some electronic skulduggery.......

The following is a very old circuit, used a variation of this way back in 2000, to operate a CD Turntable for a 7mm NGA layout, no proportional speed control, just forward and reverse, speed was irrelevant as the gearing was so low, component selection is critical, especially the values of the resistors, each one does involve a manual check with a multi meter to achieve exact values, the manual switches were replaced with micro switches to act as limit switches.

Then as is 2006 DCC arrived, all the analogue circuitry was assigned to the bin of history!

View attachment 254150

So to the present day....

Tad more sophistication with one of these..............

As ever there are numerous options and choices if going down the micro controller route............

Thank you for your response. However, there's way too much in the way of electrons for me wee brain to absorb. I have found similar miniature gear motors to fill my need. But none, so far as compact as the one I pictured. But wait ! I just viewed the two items you linked, from AliExpress. I must look deeper to absorb their possibilities. Thanks again

Last edited: