Mind the gap!

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all. I'm in the process of rebuilding my station area with a much stronger base than before (paving slabs replacing warped decking timber). Now I'm not limited to how close the platform edge can be to the track, so my question is what is the safe distance the platform can be from the side of the track? One of my platforms is going to be of the island variety, so the measurement will be quite critical as I will not have the option of moving it a bit further away later. I was thinking if anyone could give a measurement from something like the rail to the platform or track centre to the platform. I have quite a varied list of stock, the two that concern me are the Frank S and a GP9. I know that it would be easy to just measure myself, but I'm concerned if I buy something in the future that turns out wider than what I already have. So a plea of help to anyone who can help.
Many thanks,
Tim

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
I have a raised island platform and mine measures 45mm from rail to platform edge. opening out a little where it curves. That is sufficient for all my stock but I believe certain things like Bachmann K27 or Accucraft IoM coaches are particularly wide and would need greater clearance. If you can it is good to taper the ramps away from the rail as that is where hanging footboards will strike. Or take the easy way out and put in low level platforms:D

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
SO many different things to concider ive just done mine and the Bachmann 1/20 locos shay etc need 2" either side of each rail so i use a 2x1 battern laying aside the rail. ive also had problems with curves on one station my coaches have a side step the played havoke with and overhang of canopy, but 2inch seems to work
76365ad452774f608268f346ab12b32a.jpg

Batten on track
2fb178e7dd5b4deca7408ed10e3c405e.jpg

middle line is a bit tight but ok
5d0ac082f7734483b75198ccf50b0188.jpg

a66a87bdf5ce48fb984e11f1f38f43ae.jpg

its quite aceptable for Aristo locos and Bachmann box cars as well

Tony

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Take your widest and longest vehicle.

Tape a pencil to the corner of the widest one (for straight track)and another pencil in the middle of the longest one (for curves), making sure the pencil (or other marker) can draw on the slabs.

The outer of the 2 lines is your clearance....

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Cool, thanks guys. Some great pictures there too. I did think of measuring the clearances myself like you say Gizzy, my only concern was if I obtained an item of stock longer or wider than my current line-up it wouldn't be able to pass through the station.
Thanks again,
Tim