Minature Electrical connector , where can i buy them ?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, I've used those particular Maplin connectors in their various szes for years, along with the matching male headers. I use them for making up connector boards for DCC chip rewiring, loco/tender wiring etc. I normally crimp & solder the wire to the pin rather than rely on crimping alone.

I've not yet forgiven Maplin for giving up selling the 6-way version of these connectors a few years ago, which I had standardised on for my N gauge point motor/cdu modules in the 1990's and used well over 50 sets.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
Yeah, I've used those particular Maplin connectors in their various szes for years, along with the matching male headers. I use them for making up connector boards for DCC chip rewiring, loco/tender wiring etc. I normally crimp & solder the wire to the pin rather than rely on crimping alone.

I've not yet forgiven Maplin for giving up selling the 6-way version of these connectors a few years ago, which I had standardised on for my N gauge point motor/cdu modules in the 1990's and used well over 50 sets.
Yes I agree they are good for making up circult boards for DCC conversions and the like. Also agree soldering is a good idea, but be careful not to get any solder on the end of the pin and don't use too much or the pin and wire might not fit in the housing.

It is possible to get any-way versions of these, including 6-way, from Rapid and probably other places as well.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
@Cliff and Neil: yes, I'm aware Rapid still do them and I'll have to go there next time I need a bunch. It just never made sense to me that Maplin dropped the 6-way whilst continuing to stock the other sizes? Bit of a pain as I use Maplin for everything else. Didn't they notice my regular usage of them over the years? >:

<edit>Oh, and Rapid don't seem to offer the 4-way version which Maplin do (and I also use). tsk!</edit>

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Steve said:
I recently bought some LGB pick up wheels but there was only 2 connectors to connect the wire on to the pin does any one know where i can buy these?

Please dont just say Rapid or Maplins i have spent the past hour looking on there sites with no joy.

Pic of what i am looking for.
images
GRS sell those connectors

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Steve - you get a load of them with every massoth decoder. Got a few here - how many do you want?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
I notice Rapidonline/Maplins/RS/Farnells get a lot of recommends. That's ok as long as you buy £30 of gear (less VAT) and then you get post free. However, postage with most is over £3.50 for under £30 purchases.
Makes buying small items/small quantity expensive.
I know what you mean: I used to to build up a shopping list and then place an order a couple of times a year. Until late last year, when Maplin finally opened a store in my town - very handy!

To be honest though, I often use ebay if I just want individual or a small packs of components, hardware, batteries etc. Postage is often free on small items, Paypal is so convenient and my bits and pieces normally arrive in a couple of days.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
I notice Rapidonline/Maplins/RS/Farnells get a lot of recommends. That's ok as long as you buy £30 of gear (less VAT) and then you get post free. However, postage with most is over £3.50 for under £30 purchases.
Makes buying small items/small quantity expensive.
Yes, I also usually wait until I've got a large enough order to get free delivery from Rapid.
Over the last year I've bought a few small low priced items from Farnell and had a pleasant surprise, no delivery charge. I don't know what their official policy is.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers all , just bought a few bags from Chalk Garden Rail £1.20 for 10.