Milton Loco Works burner- we want... information!

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Ah, your Europa - features in a film I have...... :D Oh how your railway changed!!!!

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Write that book Chris!! I'll have the first one off the press. I'm sure you have a feast of great stories, train and otherwise, and you are a good communicator - do it!

Looking forward to hearing about the 4mt too!

Chris, I agree with Neil. Please write it and put me down for a copy too. :D

Neil, it's a shame your bosses haven't worked out how to intorduce lean thinking to your set-up and have wound you up about it instead. I've seen it applied in a council benefits office, for example, with dramatic improvements in lead times and reduction in resources. One thing is for sure, you can't pick bits of it and apply them in isolation. That is what they are usually tempted to do if they don't have anyone with deep knowledge.

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
You're spot on Graham - the manager in question does not have my confidence!!.....there's not much slack in our system anyway, we have to be naturally lean (small L), as we are so small a team. As for admin - I'm it!! I have recently reviewed all our processes for the development of an IT system, so it'll be interesting to see if he comes up with anything new. I'm all for improvement, but it has to REALLY work!

Looking forward to that book now..... :clap:

<p>Chris has posted a picture of the burner in his new 4MT thread which is linked here</p><p>[img=http://www.gscalecentral.co.uk/forums/get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=5919]</p><p>Chris is the burner the same dimensions as the Accucraft one - ie would it fit? I suspect not. A cover with a tapered slot like that would not be very difficult to make using a Dremel. Do you think it is worth it?</p><p>You say the gas jet is big - do you know the number (which I believe is the number of cubic feet per unit of time - not sure of the unit)? Any idea why they would have such a big jet?</p><p>I can see that there is an adjustment over the air holes similar to a Bunsen burner but how do you decide the best place for the ring?</p>

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
brianthesnail96 - 27/11/2009 10:22 AM

Thankyou very much for that Chris. Possibly the most useful post I'll ever read on a forum!

Lots to think on.

You are of course dead right, trying to improve the burner in a very basic single flue boiler is a bit like re- shoeing a dying horse, but it's keeping me amused for now- this year the boiler, next year the world!

I'll have to see if Tag still has a Countess visiting, it'd be interesting to have a good look over one, see if it's owt visible.

Still here. I am trying to find the time to adjust the running gear and timing so that the radius rod is in the correct position for running whether forward or reverse. As standard it is exactly the wrong way round. I have an article to hand on cosmetic improvements to this model – all easy but what a difference it makes...