dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A wee bit more progress with the wagon bodies for MER 23.

You need to keep in mind the pins in the picture are 1.5mm dia. and the photo has been significantly zoomed to show what the finish looks like.

Yes one of the stanchions moved during drilling, this end will be place in the centre next to the cab :)

Although the wood is a little burnt on the first stanchion I soldered the nut to the rivet the second one looks acceptable to me, I just need to keep the RSU time to a minimum and avoid over cooking things.

The nuts are actually just 1mm long pieces of 2.3mm square box section, I couldn't find a supplier for square nuts (yes children you can have a laugh) which the prototype has, so if I had gone with threaded bolts I'd have need to file every nut which I didn't relish.

This is my solution to the rivet challenge, £ wise it was this or 12ba bolts n nuts at 5-6 x the price, once cleaned up and painted I think I'll be happy with my chosen solution.

View attachment 294075

David
Cambrian do cosmetic nuts.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Why solder? Could you not have used glue?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
A lot later in the day than planned but timber work for both wagon bodies is complete, and a wee update to the chassis.

Wagon body floors have been screw fitted in place utilising new cross members.

Since find out a bit more information about the cab floor I have also added a bit more support for the cab floor.

Now all the seasonal domestic distractions have concluded I can hopefully get back to some undisturbed modelling ;-)

View attachment 293898

David
Yeah, it took me a while to figure out the model jump - from one of the tram carriages to vehicle No 23. Did a bit of Googling and it all became clear.

Talking about the bogie swap, was this the same vehicle that used to borrow a pair of bogies to go up Snaefell ??

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, it took me a while to figure out the model jump - from one of the tram carriages to vehicle No 23. Did a bit of Googling and it all became clear.

Talking about the bogie swap, was this the same vehicle that used to borrow a pair of bogies to go up Snaefell ??
I've not heard of No. 23 going up Snaefell but you have nudged my curiosity cells.

Point noted about confusion regarding vehicle type being modelled, for now I'm focusing on No. 23 with some open wagons to follow.

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've not heard of No. 23 going up Snaefell but you have nudged my curiosity cells.

Point noted about confusion regarding vehicle type being modelled, for now I'm focusing on No. 23 with some open wagons to follow.

David
All I can remember is that something went up Snaefell occasionally on borrowed bogies :mm::mm::mm:

EDIT - no, it was Snaefell #7 Maria

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
All I can remember is that something went up Snaefell occasionally on borrowed bogies :mm::mm::mm:

EDIT - no, it was Snaefell #7 Maria
Yep, it was SMR 7 Maria, which now runs on the MER as 34 with the trucks from paddlebox 25 and a former hospital generator to provide power, had a few problems over the years, seems to be an Isle of Man thing not getting diesels to work, on the steam railway, the sort of "new" diesel has hardly run due to sorts of problems and now has the nick name "the Cabbage"

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, it was SMR 7 Maria, which now runs on the MER as 34 with the trucks from paddlebox 25 and a former hospital generator to provide power, had a few problems over the years, seems to be an Isle of Man thing not getting diesels to work, on the steam railway, the sort of "new" diesel has hardly run due to sorts of problems and now has the nick name "the Cabbage"
Yeah, they always had problems with Viking, and it spent most of its life with the engine covers removed to keep it cool :oops::oops:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, they always had problems with Viking, and it spent most of its life with the engine covers removed to keep it cool :oops::oops:
Yes they should have stuck with the CDR Railcar twins, work well as light PWay haulers and could do some passenger work as well. One day perhaps they will be both working together again.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Yes they should have stuck with the CDR Railcar twins, work well as light PWay haulers and could do some passenger work as well. One day perhaps they will be both working together again.
Different railway, same track gauge but definitely different systems.

This thread is under the Tram forum heading, diesel train free zone here please ;-)

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Different railway, same track gauge but definitely different systems.

This thread is under the Tram forum heading, diesel train free zone here please ;-)

David
Yebbut, didn't they do a bit of mix 'n' merge at the centenary?

I seem to remember something about one of the steamers going up the MER :p:p

We travelled a bit on the MER because the Snaefell was closed after they'd been a bit naughty with a couple of crossing incidents and the Safety Officer had shut them down - rather disappointing as we never got to ride up the mountain :(:(

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Didn't they swap the bogies of the Snaefell cars to get them to the Depot for overhauls?

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Didn't they swap the bogies of the Snaefell cars to get them to the Depot for overhauls?
Yes Mick, they had a dual gauge siding at Laxey to do bogie swaps to take the Snaefell cars to Derby Castle, I think the last was done in the late 70's early 80's

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Yebbut, didn't they do a bit of mix 'n' merge at the centenary?

I seem to remember something about one of the steamers going up the MER :p:p

We travelled a bit on the MER because the Snaefell was closed after they'd been a bit naughty with a couple of crossing incidents and the Safety Officer had shut them down - rather disappointing as we never got to ride up the mountain :(:(
Well they done all sorts over the years, IMR steam locos 2 Derby & 4 Loch helped build the Manx Electric and 15 Caledonia the build on the mountain (SMR). 4,15 & 1 Sutherland have all since run on the MER or "low road" from Laxey to either Doon Quay or Fairy Cottage. The generator used to power Maria/34 now, was first used to power MER Toastrack 32 on the steam railway, so a lot of crossover of traction over the years.

Back to you David and 23, but we may need to start an Isle of Man Tramway/Railway thread, there's a lot to go at :think:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well they done all sorts over the years, IMR steam locos 2 Derby & 4 Loch helped build the Manx Electric and 15 Caledonia the build on the mountain (SMR). 4,15 & 1 Sutherland have all since run on the MER or "low road" from Laxey to either Doon Quay or Fairy Cottage. The generator used to power Maria/34 now, was first used to power MER Toastrack 32 on the steam railway, so a lot of crossover of traction over the years.

Back to you David and 23, but we may need to start an Isle of Man Tramway/Railway thread, there's a lot to go at :think:
Or just IOM railways.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds lke David's got an awful lot of model building to do :nod::nod::nod:

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag

Ah see I knew my words wouldn't be read as they were written, I have the same problem with my domestic services

No dirty diesel talk here, I didn't say anything about steam, steam is good, we can talk steam trams or steam locos used to aid in the building of the MER, but no dirty diesels .

My MNR modelling will be predominately limited to 7mm scale with the odd item of non passenger stock modelled in 15mm scale.

Diesels indeed, I thought sweary words weren't allowed

David

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds lke David's got an awful lot of model building to do :nod::nod::nod:
Yep, plenty to keep me occupied for a wee while, No. 23, then some non passenger stock, followed by Car No. 2 then 3 in as close as I can original condition.

I already have Groudle Glen Sea Lion in 7/8" scale which sits quite nicely size wise with 15mm scale trams, so I suppose maybe one of the MNR locos to haul some non passenger stock might happen if I am ever allowed to retire.

Trams first though (and no dirty diesels).

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, plenty to keep me occupied for a wee while, No. 23, then some non passenger stock, followed by Car No. 2 then 3 in as close as I can original condition.

I already have Groudle Glen Sea Lion in 7/8" scale which sits quite nicely size wise with 15mm scale trams, so I suppose maybe one of the MNR locos to haul some non passenger stock might happen if I am ever allowed to retire.

Trams first though (and no dirty diesels).

David
Yes, that was another minor whoops - we arrived on the island with one of the rail tour companies two weeks after Groudle Glen had shut down for the winter season :think::think::think:

The big bonus was that on the first morning, while waiting for the MER to take us up to Laxey, SWMBO saw an advert for the Steam Railway Curry train, and booked a trip for one evening later in the week - great fun :clap::clap::clap:

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
As material of the correct size for the wagon body iron work strapping, I have taken the opportunity to use some of the stock of scrap I have to make the wagon strapping.

So another wee tool has been made to help file the strapping to the correct width. The material cut in 300mm ish lengths from scrap is placed in this wee do hicky, clamped and filled down to size, a wee bit of final touch up is done by hand to get it down to the precise width required.

I do like making wee things to make life simpler.
20220126_182059.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
As material of the correct size for the wagon body iron work strapping, I have taken the opportunity to use some of the stock of scrap I have to make the wagon strapping.

So another wee tool has been made to help file the strapping to the correct width. The material cut in 300mm ish lengths from scrap is placed in this wee do hicky, clamped and filled down to size, a wee bit of final touch up is done by hand to get it down to the precise width required.

I do like making wee things to make life simpler.
View attachment 294571
Sorry David not sure I fully understand this obviously useful jig.