DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry David not sure I fully understand this obviously useful jig.
Sorry, this should make things clearer, the jig sits in the vice, the piece of nickel silver is place in the jig/guide in the vice and the piece of nickel silver filled down.
The jig has a lip inside the vice jaws which the metal being filled sits on.

Hope this is helps.
20220126_183429.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, this should make things clearer, the jig sits in the vice, the piece of nickel silver is place in the jig/guide in the vice and the piece of nickel silver filled down.
The jig has a lip inside the vice jaws which the metal being filled sits on.

Hope this is helps.
View attachment 294578
Thanks got it now.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Not the prettiest jig I've ever built but it should be functional.

A wagon drop side strapping positioning jig, hopefully it'll be a time saver and help this cack handed modeller accurately position the wagon strapping.

20220129_183930.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not the prettiest jig I've ever built but it should be functional.

A wagon drop side strapping positioning jig, hopefully it'll be a time saver and help this cack handed modeller accurately position the wagon strapping.

View attachment 294787
Very nice but I think I would have used hard steel rod rather than brass, stays much straighter but at the cost of some rust from flux.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice but I think I would have used hard steel rod rather than brass, stays much straighter but at the cost of some rust from flux.
I used brass simply because I had some to hand and don't have the appropriate size steel rod in stock.

The sleeves for the rod were aligned with a straight edge while the brass rod was in place so I am fairly confident about the alignment of the rod being correct.

I have found one flaw, I somehow managed to make the outer straps 0.5mm a different dimension from the end of the wagon side. Not enough that I need to think about correcting the alignment guide, but I do need to remember the sides won't be reversible.

Now I just need to assemble all the parts.