Massoth XXL into Aristo E8 issues?

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has fitted a decoder into the factory interface inside an Aristo E8 loco? I've followed the wiring diagram in the Massoth XXL II book, can get the motors to drive ok, but the lighting is on low brightness all of the time. They don't respond to the lighting function key, and likewise with the smoke units... I've seen various mentions of factory wiring issues but nothing like the issues I'm having.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Bypass the Aristo connections and wire directly from the decoder to the lights is the basic rule with all Aristo locos.

Most of them have a regulator, and it just does not work right using the DCC inputs... (I can give you a much longer and detailed explanation but just take my word for it)

Also some lights are connected directly to the track pickups on the E8 if I remember right.

Yes, the flashing light (simulate mars light) will need to be flashed by the decoder.

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has fitted a decoder into the factory interface inside an Aristo E8 loco? I've followed the wiring diagram in the Massoth XXL II book, can get the motors to drive ok, but the lighting is on low brightness all of the time. They don't respond to the lighting function key, and likewise with the smoke units... I've seen various mentions of factory wiring issues but nothing like the issues I'm having.
I have done a couple of Piko Locomotives with Massoth Chips. Be warned when doing lights that the outputs are at Track Voltage when the Chip is new. You would need to change the values to match the lights as existing. On one of my Locomotives I set up a Flashing Light via a Function Button. As I remember it was not a very intuitive Manual that got it working, more like a request to some kindly knowledge from this or the Mad site.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Moreover, the "voltage changing" on the outputs is NOT changing the voltage, but merely full voltage PWM.

Sending full track voltage pulses to electronic circuits designed for 5 volts will permanently damage them in many cases.

I forget the voltage the simulated mars light uses, but investigate before changing it's power source.

Also, as I remember there are many incandescent lamps in the locos that run on track voltage and controlling them all from the decoder might easily go beyond the decoder rating.

The following picture shows the 4 lights that shine down on top of the trucks, the 4 sets of wires that go beyone the center "U" channel.

e8_chassis.jpg

closeup:
e8_nose.jpg

I went over my notes, and the simulated mars light does not like pulsed power.

Greg