Massoth Xls into aristo mikado

scook

Registered
24 Oct 2009
leicester, 3cag
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all

I have recently purchased an aristo mikado and have a spare massoth Xls lying around so I have tried to fit it through the 12 pin connector on the aristo board, using the wiring instructions from the massoth site and also using Greg’s site, however the loco shorts , even only when the track and motor wires are connected to the Xls, any ideas why it shorts?

below is the aristo board, I have also soldered all wires to the connector that came in the 12 pins,

853FCF3F-F0AA-4768-BA2D-3E554F3AE4BE.jpeg
sam

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not familiar with the loco but does it have two motor blocks? You may need to reverse the connections from one of the blocks to maintain correct polarity.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Have you a picture of your wiring?

There are usually the first two pins, at each end, are track.. Then motor?? - If you have track and motor on the outer two pins, they would be shorted out..

**NOTE: I need to find a connection diagram, but that would be the first thing I would look at.**

PhilP.

scook

Registered
24 Oct 2009
leicester, 3cag
Best answers
Country flag
This is the diagram from massoth that I have used, 2 end pins to the same connection on the decoder then 3 rd from each end to motor connections

Attachments

• 1D0FD617-68F1-4F7E-A0BB-F5F0CDB517E2.png
    1D0FD617-68F1-4F7E-A0BB-F5F0CDB517E2.png
    430.4 KB · Views: 1

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
1. Did you try running the loco on DC before you started?

2. It could just be the decoder shutting itself down?? - The Aristo loco's can be very power-hungry. turn OFF lights and smoke, for a start.

3. The Massoth diagram shows two wires for each of the track connections.. As the pads in the loco are connected together, you can get away with a single wire for each track-power feed. - This reduces the likely-hood of a stray wisp of wire causing a short.

4. Disconnect the decoder -ve. and light feeds, and see if that helps? - Black and orange wires in the diagram.

PhilP.

scook

Registered
24 Oct 2009
leicester, 3cag
Best answers
Country flag
1. Did you try running the loco on DC before you started? Yes the loco works fine on analog and the decoder on dcc

2. It could just be the decoder shutting itself down?? - The Aristo loco's can be very power-hungry. turn OFF lights and smoke, for a start. Both are off, the short happens as soon as power is supplied to the track

3. The Massoth diagram shows two wires for each of the track connections.. As the pads in the loco are connected together, you can get away with a single wire for each track-power feed. - This reduces the likely-hood of a stray wisp of wire causing a short.

4. Disconnect the decoder -ve. and light feeds, and see if that helps? - Black and orange wires in the diagram. I have just tried it with the motor and track

PhilP.

I have answered 1,2,4
Thanks for your suggestions

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
2. It could just be the decoder shutting itself down?? - The Aristo loco's can be very power-hungry. turn OFF lights and smoke, for a start. Both are off, the short happens as soon as power is supplied to the track

Try lifting the loco off the track. - There could be 'something else' shorting the track?

Loco on the track, but the 12-pin board unplugged.. Do you get a short then?
Yes: problem with wiring from wheels/pickups to socket.
No: problem with your wiring on the 12-pin / wisps of wire at decoders / decoder shorting on something.

Total off the wall thought: There is not a battery anywhere on the loco / tender, to keep the sound 'alive'?? :wondering:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
disconnect the 3 wires for lighting...

if you still have an issue, you have a wiring issue.

Many times, Aristo screwed up the track pickup and motor wiring. They only test with the jumper plug in place.

Remove the connections, and trace the 4 paths (track plus and minus, motor plus and minus)... you will find the motor and one track pickup swapped.

Since they are jumpered, the train will still run on DC, but shorts on DCC since you have a motor lead where a track pickup should be and vice versa.

Greg

scook

Registered
24 Oct 2009
leicester, 3cag
Best answers
Country flag
Fitted the Massoth Xls decoder straight into the loco and ripped out the aristo board, and all works great apart from the interior lights switch off when the loco is moving forward, they stay on when standing and moving in reverse, any ideas?

thanks sam

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
re-reading your first post, you indicated you soldered wires to the "shorting plug" that comes standard in the loco.
" below is the aristo board, I have also soldered all wires to the connector that came in the 12 pins, "

I am sorry I missed this the first time... Pins 1&2&3 are shorted in that plug, as well as Pins 10&11&12, which should cause an instant short.

I'm sorry I missed this, since that plug is never intended to be used as an interface, but to short various wires to enable DC operation only.

That solves that mystery.

On the interior lights? If it is the cab light, then the output you tied it to is not programmed properly, as long as you have disconnected it entirely since the lights were often negative common and fed from a 5v regulator, and with DCC you need a positive common.

Hope I am more helpful this time.

Greg