Massoth 'XLS' Decoder shutdown

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Tim:
Garry has posted on the Massoth forum that after making the suggested changes, both decoders are now running without stopping.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mohammed,
many thanks, I spoke to Garry today. He is a much happier Massoth fan. I am as well as until he got this sorted out I also was a little hesitant in purchasing any Massoth decoders.

I would assume that Garry would need to always have load control active. One wonders if this is peculiar to just his decoders or to other Massoth decoders. Possibly, the issue with the 'LS' shutdowns could also be attributed to load control adjustment?

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Tim:
It seems to happen only in some cases, but I yet to figure out which cases. My way of preventing it from happening when I install a decoder is to test run the decoder in the locomotive on a test track with a slight incline and then watch the display on my navigator. If I notice a big jump in the amount of current needed to keep the locomotive going, I automatically make adjustments to the load control CVs.
I really think that the Massoth decoders are designed to suit many different running conditions and that one should take advantage of that. It take me around 3 to 4 hours to set a decoder for best performance.
I am glad so hear that Garry is now a hppy camper.
Cheers