Massoth XLS DEcoder Bell sounds Continually

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hi.
I have a continual ringing of the bell . I can not turn it off except with F 6 sound Off and On. I have reset the sound side of the decoder back to factory Settings still no luck bell still ringing . I can not find any mapping for the F functions assigned to the 12 sounds do not know what CV would be assigned to the Bell manual says CV131 Whistle CV 132 Whistle with echo that is as far as the manual states. Is there somewhere to find the factory mapping for these sounds . Has any one had this problem . Thanks

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What model of loco?
What sound file is supposedly in the decoder?

I assume you have fitted the decoder yourself, or is this a problem that has just started (was OK), or a 'new' loco to you and that is how it came?

What Central Station and throttle?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Agree with Phil regarding the info required for us to help.
I assume you have tried every F key from 0-28 (if your system supports that many F keys)?
Just a thought, some models have track magnet triggered switches that trigger whistle and bell.
If those reed switches are fitted maybe the cable to the bell switch has been trapped and is shorting out causing the sound decoder to continually play the bell sound.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Some of the ESU decoders have a CV which decides how long the bell goes on for. Something to do with the length of the loop. I can't remember what the CV was. If you don't tell it, it will go on for ever.

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry the decoder is installed in a old LGB 2074 Spreewald Analogue Loco . I have installed all LED Lighting including running light under the side plates and also fitted marker lights they all work fine . the only other problem I have encounter is that I have installed Massoth Auto Un-couplers front and back they work but you have to press the function Keys F3 and F4 many times before they activate. ( prior Post ) . I bought the decoder Just after Christmas here in Aus from a local Hobby Store. When I got the decoder home I found the Massoth Box containing the decoder had been opened the seal on the box had been cut and the decoder inside had a Burnt Smell and signs that it had been previously installed . I returned the decoder to the Hobby Store and was given another decoder, that decoder had to have the sound file downloaded on to the decoder at the Hobby Store took about 30 min's , after the download the sounds worked fine . I would assume that this was a new decoder. I set the decoder up on a bench with an old LGB Motor to test the decoder with the un-couplers and could not get them to work properly . I later found out that the First Decoder was an older Decoder and that the manual that I had with it was not the manual for the new decoder, this was after all the problems with the Un-couplers . I am using a Piko System. With this system I can Read and Program all CV's on this Decoder. The sound file is a US Mogul sound. The ESU decoder was several dollars dearer and I thought that the Un-couplers would work easier with the Massoth Decoder.

Attachments

• 20190417_075251.jpg
    20190417_075251.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190417_075332.jpg
    20190417_075332.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
How about answering the reed switch question from post #3?

Also, do you have the function key assignments for your sound file? If not you want that manual.

Did you eventually get the correct manual for the decoder itself?

That information should be helpful.

Greg

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Without wanting to digress from your original problem with bell sound, the problem with the uncouplers working intermittently is most likely down to too low voltage. When you got your replacement decoder it may have the outputs you most likely connected your decoupler to set to 5v or thereabouts, Massoth uncouplers need full track voltage, at least 21v.

But let's get the bell sound fixed first. When you took the original decoder back to the store, and they loaded the appropriate sound file and tested it, did the bell sound continuously then? I assume not, so the problem must be in the way it is installed in your loco. At the store did they give you the Massoth sound sheet for the Spreewald? The default for bell is F2, did it work at the store? If you don't have the sound sheet you can download it from Massoth here:
http://wiki.massoth.de/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=696

I think it would be helpful to have a picture or diagram of all the connections to your XLS decoder.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
As Dave says, F2 should operate the Bell (which is sound # 2 in the case of the 8210074 Spreewald sound file).

Relevant CVs are:

CV132 = 2 - Function Key assignment
CV152 = 2 - Loop count (plays the bell twice in this case)
CV202 = 3 - Volume level

If you have installed a set of reed switches (for magnet triggering), trigger#2 (K2) will trigger the Bell (as set by CV191=2)

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
whats with this bit "The sound file is a US Mogul sound" are we not using a Spreewald sound file ?

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I hadn't spotted that. Why would the store install a US Mogul sound file not a Spreewald?

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Not being supper confident with dcc its nothing to do with a momentary or latching function is it?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
normally you would want latching, but if the advice in #8 is correct, you should get something by cycling the function key.

once you get "control" of the bell, then you can decide, although I would suspect latching is the default anyway.

Greg

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hi. Thanks for all your comments. First I got a Mougal sound installed . Didn't like the German Station announcement , as I can't speak German . And the whistle and Steam puffs on the Spreewald sound weren't to my liking. being an old railway steam fireman from my youth The mougal sounds are close our steam engines I worked on here . I have found the problem with the bell. I had installed Reed switches for the Whistle and Bell one has shorted out, easy fix Whistle only now. Sick of hearing that Bell . We don't have bell warnings on Trains here in Australia anyway. I pulled the engine apart this morning and found the faulty reed switch soon as I isolated it the sound has returned . Thanks for the mapping of the sounds this will help I found I had the wrong Manual through my last post about the Un-couplers. Still having problems with them am sure it has something to do with power I can only get 20.9v to the + and - terminals on the decoder can't get any more out of my power supply, need better power supply. I have attached some photos of the reed switches. Thanks Again for all your Help Frank.

Attachments

• 20190418_084815.jpg
    20190418_084815.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190418_084831.jpg
    20190418_084831.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190418_084851.jpg
    20190418_084851.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190418_084856.jpg
    20190418_084856.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like post #3 was the winner! (yes not a competition, but a good call)

On the uncouplers, I cannot believe the voltage is not enough... have you tested at the terminals to the uncouplers that it is getting 20.9 volts when actuated? (voltmeter)... also I seem to remember that the tightness of certain screws made a big difference in operation and also some of them just plain do not work well.

Greg

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg
I found turning the Screw in a quarter of a turn made the Un-coupler work first time. Unfortunately when you return the un-coupler to it raised position it must return the screw to its right position which binds the screw and needs more power to work the second time. Thanks what I think.
Anyway thanks for The help.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, just think the couplers are really a pain in the butt, at least your experience seems to have been.

So your bell ringing issue is now done? Just putting that to bed.

So the coupler issue sounds like a mechanical problem, to stop the screw from moving...

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, hope this helps. I too am running a Piko Central Station set up with a Massoth Navigator (not Piko) with the new Piko 20V 6A power supply. I have a loco with Massoth Auto-Uncouplers installed. They work just as well with the 20V power supply as they did with the 24V one. Make sure the tiny servo coupler screws are not too tight. They are supposed to be slightly loose or binding can occur. I had a similar issue as I did not fully read the manual fully first (my bad) and that was the fix. Richard

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi.
I have a continual ringing of the bell . I can not turn it off except with F 6 sound Off and On. I have reset the sound side of the decoder back to factory Settings still no luck bell still ringing . I can not find any mapping for the F functions assigned to the 12 sounds do not know what CV would be assigned to the Bell manual says CV131 Whistle CV 132 Whistle with echo that is as far as the manual states. Is there somewhere to find the factory mapping for these sounds . Has any one had this problem . Thanks

You should have received a copy of the Massoth Configuration Manual with your XLS Sound Decoder that explains all the CV settings. As was already mentioned, F2 is normally the default for the Bell activation. So, Sound #2, bell, would normally be set CV132=2, assigned to F2. But in your case, it appears CV132=6, F6 to activate the bell. The seller must have changed the sound assignments around, which is fine, but normally the seller should also provide you a print out of the Sound Project Sheet for your locomotive's sound and F Key assignments. This can be printed out through the Massoth Service Tool that's used to program the decoder's CV settings, and can also be used to update or change the decoder's assigned locomotive sound.

The CV152 sets the number of loops for Sound #2, again, was already mentioned by someone........range is 0 - 16. The "0" means the bell sound will loop once, about 5 bells. Setting " 1" will loop the bell sounds through twice. CV152=16 sets the bell sound to ring continuously when you press F1 until you press F1 again to turn it off. That's the setting I like to use to control the bell myself such as shuttle operations on my LGB 2063 Diesel. For Sound #2, CV202 is the loudness control, range 0 - 3. Default is the highest, "3", "0" is 1/4th the max volume, etc. It sounds to me from your description of the issue that your decoder is set to CV152=16.

If you don't have a copy of the Massoth XLS Sound Decoder Configuration Manual, you can download the PDF here: AllAboutLGB: Massoth eMOTION XLS Sound Decoder

Last edited:

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hi I think the heart of my problem steems from the short on the reed switch. Will check the screws on the un-coupler . Thanks