massoth uncoupler and Zimo MX645 HELP

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
I need help. I have a stainz with a Zimo MX645 decoder. I have recently bought some Massoth uncouplers. After reading the very simple instructions I have no clue how to hook it up to this decoder. Can anyone help. I wired the decoder in myself and have not used either of the two function wires yet. I have no idea where to hook up the + and ? on the decoder. Thanks in advance.
Mike

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
I had a quick look at the Zimo manual which I found quite confusing since it covered so many decoder types. On page 9 of the combined manual I found a picture of the MX645 with all of the solder pads on.

The black wire on the uncoupler needs to go to what ZIMO describe as 'Ground'. The brown wire to the function output and the red wire to what zimo describe as 'Common power +'.

It seems that the 'Common power +' is the blue wire on the decoder, green or brown the function outputs. 'Ground' appears not to be presoldered with a wire you will need to solder a wire to the solder pad.

I've not got one of these decoders myself.

The manual I looked at was from this page:
http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/handbuch.htm

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff
thanks for the quick answer. I thought that might be the answer but as I am new to DCC I needed a confirmation. I will have to have the ground wire soldered on the pad by someone other than myself. ( I don't think I am that steady LOL)

Keith RhB

Registered
23 Oct 2012
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi guys,
I'm curious if you ever got this working? I am about to hook one to a Zimo 695kv but I was assuming I would have to add the bc547 between the brown wire and the function output the way it shows on the Massoth forum in the uncoupler section. If it works without that, then great I'd be happy to hear it.

Keith

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
Keith I just hooked one directly to fuction two and and the other to fuction three and they worked like a charm. Zimo makes it very easy. I also have the coupler sound on the same fuctions which is way cool. Found that out by accident as the coupler sound key was 3 by default.
I used the pos and neg teminal on the board than connected the third wire to the function terminal. no other elements were required.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

You only need the BC547 if the function output that you want to use, when normally connecting a lamp/led to it requires the common terminal to be GND (as is A5 to 8 on Massoth L, XL, LS & XLS decoders).

In most cases, the common terminal is +ve and the BC547 is not needed (i.e. A1 to 4 and the lighting terminals on Massoth decoders).

Keith RhB

Registered
23 Oct 2012
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Great news--thanks Mike and Mark!
Keith