Massoth Navigator issues

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am using a Nav with a LGB 55006p, I recently decided it would be good to go wireless, so I bought the Massoth PC module to update the Nav so it can be converted to wireless, that failed I have tried three PCs on two diffrent operating systems and non can update the Nav firmware, all end with the read no data 117 error, but I can update the PC module firmware, so it is working, I can all so read and write CV's on the programming track OK.

I also bought the Switch Decoder 4K, if I connect it up to the programming track I can read the CV's OK via the PC module and the Point motor switches when it reads so that is working OK

If I use the Nav second function and tell it to switch the point motor nothing moves , it should and is on address 1 as its still set to factory defaults.

Beginging to think I have a naff nav or I am missing something basic here ? as apart from select an engine and operate it with the nav, it won't control a Switch decoder or up-date when teathered to the PC module.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Two things you could try..

1. Can you load the version of software the Nav. is already running?

2. Are you trying to 'jump' any intermediate versions of software. - This used to be a no-no with decoders, not sure if it will have changed by now?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Nav is on 2.00d, I don't think there is one in between that and 2.1 ?, I know the 2.1 says it is a big update, I don't have access to any other firmware for it the only one listed to upload is the 2.1 so can't try the 2.00. Its odd I can not control a switch decoder with it through the LGB central station, which I assume I should be able too ?.

I have been searching the net to see if you can connect the LGB central station to the PC module via the Dimax bus, reason was it is the only other thing I have that I could talk to through that connector to rule out a problem with PC module.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
You can update from 2.00d directly to 2.1. 2.1 contains the firmware changes for the 2.4GHz wireless protocols and selection. There was a 2.01 which introduced support for a new display but you should not need to use this.

Have you tried forcing the Navigator into update mode before you try the update? If I recall, you need to hold the right arrow button down when you plug it into the PC module.
Also, I find it best to recycle the power to the PC module just before you do any firmware upload especially if you have been messing with CVs.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
You can update from 2.00d directly to 2.1. 2.1 contains the firmware changes for the 2.4GHz wireless protocols and selection. There was a 2.01 which introduced support for a new display but you should not need to use this.

Have you tried forcing the Navigator into update mode before you try the update? If I recall, you need to hold the right arrow button down when you plug it into the PC module.
Also, I find it best to recycle the power to the PC module just before you do any firmware upload especially if you have been messing with CVs.

Hi , I have tried the recycle power to the PC module and yep you hold the Right button down when you plug it in and the screen then shows Software-Update so I assume that's in update mode.

I have a shorter lead to tether with so I tried that but no difference, still the same error. but it was worth a go, as running out of chickens to sacrifice :) unless frozen ones count..

I also tried a factory reset on the Nav so it's back to a standard setup in case but that didn't help just lost all my Locos that were set up in it :)

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Still no joy with this Nav so I have emailed Massoth to see if they have any ideas on the Read No Date 117 error.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Have you read through this thread?

Talking decoders here, but the same rules apply.. Must have a certain level of software to jump to a higher level, etc.

PhilP.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Have you read through this thread?

Talking decoders here, but the same rules apply.. Must have a certain level of software to jump to a higher level, etc.

PhilP.

Hi I have read throught it,but didnt come to any conclusions to sort out why I am stuck, as Muns says I should be able to go from 2.00d to 2.1 as the only version inbetween was a 2.01 that allows use of a new display ? but 2.01 is not an option in the Massoth software to update too, just the 2.1 is listed.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I Got a quick response from Massoth, They said remove any battires if you have put them in and use the Piko version to upgrade the Nav, and guess what it upgraded it , I had already renoved the batteries on previous attempts :) I asked if I then need to do it again with the Massoth version and the answer was no, as its the same software just a diffrent loading screen, mine now says its a Piko Navigator :D

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear what a mess, I am staying with whatever I was last upgraded to 3 years ago, same as I have never gone beyond windows 98 on my aged PC. Why break it it if it ain’t broke?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Massoth said to update with a Piko version? very strange.

Yep that was the reply from them, they said if it won't update with the Massoth version try the Piko one, its the same Firmware just a different front end :)

Last edited:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I wondered that, so I asked if I needed to do that , which is when they said the only difference between the two was the loading screen saying Massoth or Piko, so I don't need too. I must admit I was tempted but after the hassle of getting it to work I decided I can live with it saying Piko on boot up :)