phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I had the same problem recently brought up by another forum member trying to set up Massoth 8122302 digital lighting units. Yesterday I found a solution that worked for me after beating my head against the wall and trying many things to program the unit with a Massoth PC Module. Once all else had failed, I referenced the CV table in the lighting unit's manual!

The main problem is that the lighting decoder template's "Switch outputs" provided in the Massoth service tool doesn't work with the lighting unit's decoder. It modifies the wrong CVs. Changing the A1 and A2 function settings with the template just screws things up - resulting in flashing lights, not responding as expected to function buttons, etc.

First I had to reset the decoder to undo the hash that the template had made of the CVs. I reset both the basic settings by writing 11 into CV8 and then the function settings by writing 22 into CV8 using the Service tool's "Single CV" option. I then used the Service tool template "GeneralLy" settings boxes to set the address (I use DCC long addresses and set the coach's ID number as the address) and the DCC configuration ( I selected 28 speed steps and digital only). This part of the template works OK. If nothing else is done then the F1 button will operate function A1 which is the lighting unit's own LEDs. The F2 button will operate function A2.

I had connected a Massoth analog lighting unit, 8122202 to the boards A2 output. I wanted both boards to light up with a single command using the "lights" function button. I changed both CV110 and CV120 to 0 from their default values of 1 and 2 to accomplish this. These are the CVs that determine what function button operates A1 and A2. A setting of 0 allocates the light button instead of the F1 and F2 buttons to A1 and A2.

My lights are now working as they should!

Phil S.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent result, and a concise description of the problem, and work-around.

Thanks for coming back with the solution.

PhilP.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting information that should be archived somewhere... I don't understand completely, and I guess it would help correlate the posts if the service tool also showed the CV instead of just the text description.

I use a similar tool for QSI and it shows both and is very helpful, rather than just taking it on "faith" that ticking the box changes the right CV, which seems to be one of the fundamental issues.

Greg

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Great! Funny when I hovered on the picture nothing happened for me! (ha ha)...

Unfortunately just looking at the screen shot means us outsiders cannot correlate the first posts with the screen shots, so I will ask some questions..

So Phil's first 2 paragraphs indicate that the service tool does not do the right thing for the 8122302 .

Do your screen shots confirm or contradict that? (see my point?)

Thanks, Greg

(just really want to learn about these beasties)

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
John,

Where did you find this template? It does appear to be specific to the 8122302. It is not the 8122001 template and only lighting unit decoder template I have. I thought I had downloaded the most recent PC module updates.

Phil S.

Edit added: I see you created it yourself. Are you willing to share?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved