Massoth 8413501 DCC Smoke Unit Shutdown

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
So I've installed the unit into an LGB caboose.......see photo. The unit shuts down after a couple minutes operating apparently due to overheating. The overheating may be caused by my design of the plastic exhaust tubes needed to accommodate the small diameter smoke stack. So, I may need to redesign the exhaust tube structure which I'm not sure how to do because at the top it will still need a small diameter tube to connect to the smoke stack. I tried various CV61 Fan Speed Standing settings, from low 0 to highest 100, and the higher speed helps but it still shuts down albiet operates longer over the low fan speed setting. Lowing the temperature on the heating element would probably help, but I don't see any CV settings for temperature control? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
So I've installed the unit into an LGB caboose.......see photo. The unit shuts down after a couple minutes operating apparently due to overheating. The overheating may be caused by my design of the plastic exhaust tubes needed to accommodate the small diameter smoke stack. So, I may need to redesign the exhaust tube structure which I'm not sure how to do because at the top it will still need a small diameter tube to connect to the smoke stack. I tried various CV61 Fan Speed Standing settings, from low 0 to highest 100, and the higher speed helps but it still shuts down albiet operates longer over the low fan speed setting. Lowing the temperature on the heating element would probably help, but I don't see any CV settings for temperature control? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
View attachment 249536

Okay, appears I've solved the problem. I tried 1/2 inch plastic tubing all the way from the smoke up to a larger smoke stack that can accommodate the 1/2 inch tubing. I tested it even by changing the CV 63 Fan Speed Drive from the default 100 to 10 and it kept on smoking! So, restricting the smoke exhaust flow using the narrower plastic tubing apparently causes the smoke to build up inside the smoker's chamber and over heat the unit. Lesson learned for me. I'll now have to reposition the smoke unit in the caboose so the exhaust tube is directly under the smoke stack roof hole......the 1/2 inch plastic tubing definitely doesn't bend much.